Why the rush at the end of cruise ???

airlink diva

Granted there are people who have limited flight choices and who are pressed for time, but I sometimes think Americans are so used to rushing around that they do it even when it serves no purpose.

Have you ever gone to a concert, theatrical production, ball game, etc. and people jump up and run out before it's over? What is that all about? I have seen people leave concerts and miss encores that were the best part of the show. I stay until the last dog dies, let everyone rush out ahead, and then just walk out and go on my way without fighting the crowd.

Same thing with the cruise. We usually leave our cabin about 8:00 a.m. as a courtesy to the cabin steward, go up to the Crow's Nest and sit in one of those nice comfortable chairs, and just enjoy the view or talk with whoever else may be in there. When we leave the ship in the last group, our bags are easy to find and we are out in minutes.

I realize it's tough if you're taking a 7-day cruise out of either Miami or Fort Lauderdale, because stress is waiting for you at the airport.....which is why we have pretty much decided to avoid the Florida ports on weekends. Now that I'm getting older, my "hustle" gene has pretty much dried up, and I have no desire to revive it.

I am usually one of the first pax off a ship. I do this because I am insane. I have been up and about for hours and am antsy to get off. If I am flying, I usually have a early flight and it becomes a sport to make it. If I am checking into a hotel, the cruise is over and I want to move on with the next phase.

I also usually sail in the cheaps seats so hanging about the cabin is not wonderful and it makes me feel good to let the crew have access so they can get on with the routine to turn the ship.

On our Alaska cruise on the Westerdam last September, it appeared that HAL could not wait to get rid of the passengers at the crack of dawn. There was no breakfast available after 8 am, not even a roll. They discouraged using room service that morning,so we didn't order that. However, we later found out that would have been the only way to get any breakfast that morning, unless you wanted to be up in the Lido at 6 am.

Our flight was at something like 1:30 pm so we wanted to stay in the room as long as possible, but it wasn't possible. They wanted all of us gone as early in the morning as possible, and we were the last group to leave the ship.

Archived