dropping grades b4 cruise!!

foneguy

sons grades are dropping:mad: :mad: :mad: , only 2 weeks till we leave:confused: has anybody EVER canceled their kids cruise for their grades dropping below what is expected? :( he is in 6th grade and an honor student all A's abd B's but now 2 classes are low C's.....not too sure what should be done, contacted teachers and waiting for responces. truthfully im ready to cancle the whole thing but to throw away 4 grand......or throw away 800$ not too sure if he can afford to miss the last week of the grading period for a trip? AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I understand where you are coming from as I have a son in 7th grade and took him out of school the last 2 years so we could cruise. He is also an excellent student with A's and B's. Here is the way I try to look at his grades when I am feeling upset or disapointed with a test grade. In the total scheme of his life will it really matter if he gets a C or even a D?? I mean we are talking about kids in elementary school and jr. high not college kids. Look back at your own childhood for guidance...Do you remember the occasional C or D or do you remember major events like an awesome family vacation?? You are creating memories that will last a lifetime for your kid.

My advice is don't cancel your cruise. Explain to your son that you are disapointed and expect that he will bring his grades up or there will be consequences. I just think this is too much of a punishment for your child and your family for some slipping grades at his age.

Good Luck

A:D

School issues shouldn't reflect on positive and fun family times. Maybe he's going through some stress at school or not feeling well, i.e. hormones popping up. A fun time with his family might just be what he needs.

I would make him understand that as soon as the cruise was over he would be getting back on track with school, and then never mention it even once during the cruise.

When my daughters were younger we did take them out of school to vacation, they are also honor roll students. I have found that as they get into middle/high school that missing more than a few days really can hurt their grades or at least cause a lot of stress when it comes to making up the work. If I were you I would just help him get his grades up as much as possible before you leave and as others have said relax while on the cruise, get back on track once you are

home again. I wouldn't cancel my cruise but I might think twice about scheduling the next one while school is in session. Just my opinion, good luck whatever you decide. Teri

LOL - This is actually TSJ, I am Faithfulcruisers Mom, I didn't realize that I was logged in on her account! It would be interesting to see how she would have responded to this thread! Maybe I'll ask her when she gets home LOL Teri

I am teacher and I would still pull my kid from school. One quarter shouldn't deny him admission in to harvard in 5 years. I wish I could pull my own daughter from school to go on a trip. But we(teachers) get into serious trouble if we do that, so we have to pay double the price for a cruise in prime season. Bring him or her a good gift back and ask about them writing a journal on the trip to help.

Leave your son home with his grandparents or close family member and go on your cruise. A cruise is a reward for a job well done. You son has been slacking for whatever reason. If you cancel the cruise in its entirety- none of you will have fun.

I think education is very important. I will not pull my kids out of school for any reason. It sends a bad message. It says playtime is more important than school.

You should do what you feel comfortable with. I think you made a mistake in planning a trip with school age children during the school year. But what's done is done. If all your son's teachers give you the go ahead and the materials that he will be missing- then it is up to you. But if he is going to be doing five hours of schoolwork for five of those days- then he may as well go to school.

It is a tough call. No one said the right decisions are easy.

A cruise is a reward for a job well done. You son has been slacking for whatever reason.

I think education is very important. I will not pull my kids out of school for any reason. It sends a bad message. It says playtime is more important than school.

A cruise is a reward IF that's how it has been set up. Doesn't sound like they've set it up that way.

I would think the boy is excited about the upcoming trip, and is having a hard time concentrating.

Or perhaps he suddenly needs glasses, and can't concentrate b/c he can't see the board or his papers (that's what happened to me around 8th grade, and the school dropped me to the "bonehead" classes, where I was getting low Bs and Cs, until my junior year when I got glasses (BIFOCALS AT 15, LOL), bumped myself up to Honors classes, and got high Bs).

Or perhaps there's some bad stuff going on at school, bullying or something, perhaps he is in luv (6th grade love, in my memory, messed with my brain even more than 12th grade, or college-age love)...

There's got to be SOME reason for it, and as a former kid who had some troubles that caused grades to fall despite my best efforts, I'd really urge you to find out what's going on.

As for "playtime" blah blah blah, gack. Education doesn't ONLY happen inside the "hallowed" halls of a school. In fact, from my experience, education usually happens OUTSIDE, it's just a big ol' playtime/social experience inside the halls, broken up for a few minutes of teaching every hour...

Then again, despite my honors classes, I had a really bad educational experience for all but one year of school (the year I was in a TINY one-room schoolhouse with three teachers for K through 6 plus one 7th grader)!

I agree with those who say the cruise should not be cancelled. Everyone should go in good spirits, despite the bad grades. Perhaps you and your son could agree that he can do some schoolwork on the cruise (not as a punishment, but just remedial), and it can be agreed that it can be cheerfully done. Everyone wins that way. I also think family times are just as important, if not more important, for everyone's development and education.

I'm a believer in natural consequences and let the punishment fit the crime (at least for my parenting style). Losing a cruise doesn't quite fit the "crime." Let the kid go on the cruise, but find a natural consequence. I'd suggest, no video games between now and the cruise, all homework must be done at the kitchen table from x pm to x pm each night, send a note to the teachers each week asking for an update (signed), no friends from ___ to ___ each day/weekend/whatever fits your schedule, no internet/tv unless it's for school purposes. Check with the teachers, they'll give good suggestions on how to get your kid back on track. Then go on a cruise and have a fun time as a family. The punishment should be school/homework-related, not family vacation gets banned for all-related.

Leave your son home with his grandparents or close family member and go on your cruise. A cruise is a reward for a job well done. You son has been slacking for whatever reason. If you cancel the cruise in its entirety- none of you will have fun.

first the cruise date was my inlaws 40thwedding anniversary not a reward, ...a reward for me and dw

think education is very important. I will not pull my kids out of school for any reason. It sends a bad message. It says playtime is more important than school.[/quote]

exactally right education is important, that is why i posted my concerns to the world.

but wow i came to the right place. so with that i thank you all for you support and comments. up date time.....i spoke with the teachers of his team, ( they do teams not classes ) the math problem, she said all of the students are finding it getting harder and if he has troubles she is going to hold his grade untill we return andhelp him catch up:D :D

the other class diffrent story he needs to read more and get his final book talk done and the ohio test score up, these then will increase his grade worst case he gets an incomplete untill we come bach:D both say not to worry biggrin3.gif so now he buckles down to get it all done b4 we go thank you all again for your help

a lot of good parents out here!!!:D sincerely...the foneguy

I'm a believer in natural consequences and let the punishment fit the crime (at least for my parenting style). Losing a cruise doesn't quite fit the "crime." Let the kid go on the cruise, but find a natural consequence. I'd suggest, no video games between now and the cruise, all homework must be done at the kitchen table from x pm to x pm each night, send a note to the teachers each week asking for an update (signed), no friends from ___ to ___ each day/weekend/whatever fits your schedule, no internet/tv unless it's for school purposes. Check with the teachers, they'll give good suggestions on how to get your kid back on track. Then go on a cruise and have a fun time as a family. The punishment should be school/homework-related, not family vacation gets banned for all-related.

As the wife of a teacher and the mother of a 10 year with special needs, I can honestly say imho, this is the best approach for everyone involved.

Good choice. I, for one, also believe that family time shouldn't be a "priviledge". When he is older, you will long for the days when he'll want to be with his folks.

Hire a tutor if you have to. You've already talked to the teachers, great move. Now you have a workable plan in action.

Have a great cruise. :D

You have to do what works best for your family, and you don't want to punish everyone for his poor grades. You could do one of two things, leave hime behind and the remainder of the family goes ahead with the trip, of (2) Let him go and be sure that he goes to the library every day after school to do homework, has no television or extracurricular activities at night, and if the grades don't improve, impose a punishment upon his return. For me, the loss of $4,000 wouldn't be a good option!

I just went through this...son age 12 was struggling with his grades....we met with the teachers and came away with a plan that they had him write...it included his study times on the ship and what he would do each day....

Because he was the one to write the plan he was good at spending a couple of hours per day...1 in the AM..1 after lunch...1 hour in the evening in the cabin doing his work...it turned out fine.

Archived