Best pre-cruise place to stay in Galveston

tet1968

We leave on the Conquest on 6 May, where is a good place to stay the night before? Some places appear to be pricey but do allow cruise parking at no cost. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.:D

Best for you will depend on what criteria is important to you. IMHO the Galvez and the Tremont are the "best" hotels on the island. That doesn't mean they are the best value. If you will be arriving early enough to enjoy the beach a hotel on the seawall might be best. If you are arriving later a hotel near the pier might be best. What are you looking for?

Best for you will depend on what criteria is important to you. IMHO the Galvez and the Tremont are the "best" hotels on the island. That doesn't mean they are the best value. If you will be arriving early enough to enjoy the beach a hotel on the seawall might be best. If you are arriving later a hotel near the pier might be best. What are you looking for?

I agree with yst347, the Galvez is a beautiful historic hotel on the seawall, the Tremont, also beautiful and located in the downtown historic district, although both are a little pricey. The majority of the hotels are not too far from the pier as Galveston is not that big or wide! There is also a hotel called the Harbor House Hotel on Pier 21, so close to the cruise ship terminal you can see your ship out of your window! Its a really cool place. There is the Commodore, its a little older but it is one of my favorites :) right on the seawall, all rooms face the ocean. There is a new Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort that is in a great location and several other chain hotels along the seawall, I personally would stick with those if you don't choose one of the others I mentioned. I would stick to ones that are on the seawall, the historic district or maybe some on 61 Street.

Have fun! We may wave to you when leaving out, we are in Galveston almost every weekend if the weather is nice and its fun to go sit on the harbor and see the ships leave out :)

Just had to reply to this one. WHERE NOT TO STAY IN GALVESTON!!!

Just got back from the Conquest and we stayed at Comfort Inns and Suites at 102 E. Seawall Blvd The hotel was reasonable rooms clean, staff wonderful, free parking for the week and free shuttle, so why not stay? The bus driver is HORRIBLE! Not a hello, not a goodbye, not a kiss my ****. No instructions about where to wait on return. Loaded the suitcases to the hilt and drove like the devil while looking in the rearview mirror and saw we were having to hold the suitcases in place so they wouldn't fall.Didn't make any difference . Well we chalked it up to him having a bad day, but guess what return trip was just the same. Don't stay there,

Now The Holiday Inn Sunspree. Great service, a little cheaper Great Bus driver. Would of stayed there again, but it was booked this time.

Check the Gulf Coast Ports section of the board for lots of Galveston hotel info.

I have stayed at Hilton on Seawall twice. Nice hotel with free parking & shuttle to & from the ship. They are also own the Holiday Inn on the Beach. Good club there called B Jiggers with daily Happy Hour. Parking is behind the Hotel San Luis. Landry's Seafood & Rain Forest Cafe, International House of pancakes are all located there together.

We've cruised out of Galveston the past two years and first time stayed at the Ramada - not five star but was nice. Free cruise parking. Once we stayed at the Econolodge, again, not five star but suited us just fine - also free cruise parking. Both times, we taxied to the port.

We stayed at the Galvez in December. It was beautiful, free cruise transportation and parking. We had originally booked the Harbor House but it was overbooked so our reservation was transferred to the Galvez (same owner) for the Harbor House rate.

We plan to stay at the Harbor House this time. Check out www.galveston.com.

Check the Gulf Coast Ports section of the board for lots of Galveston hotel info.

I have stayed at Hilton on Seawall twice. Nice hotel with free parking & shuttle to & from the ship. They are also own the Holiday Inn on the Beach. Good club there called B Jiggers with daily Happy Hour. Parking is behind the Hotel San Luis. Landry's Seafood & Rain Forest Cafe, International House of pancakes are all located there together.

We are staying at the Hilton Galveston Island on March 23rd, so thanks so much for the info.

Question - a number of us from the rollcall are going to Nate's Steakhouse, do you know anything about this establishment. It sounds great.:)

Also, will need to do a Kroger run the morning of the cruise. Is it walkable or should we cab it. Just need to pick up a couple of items......

I believe our reservation said it comes with breakfast. Was this a continental or full breakfast.

Thanks in advance for any answers:D

Less than 3 weeks to go.:) :)

Northender,

Thought I would "step in" here with my opinion/input. We live near Galveston and go there to enjoy their restaurants at least once a month. With that said, I must admit that, although I am part of a family of "foodies", I have never heard of, seen, or heard anyone's opinion of Nate's. Was it chosen because someone in your group was familiar with the place?

Northender,

Thought I would "step in" here with my opinion/input. We live near Galveston and go there to enjoy their restaurants at least once a month. With that said, I must admit that, although I am part of a family of "foodies", I have never heard of, seen, or heard anyone's opinion of Nate's. Was it chosen because someone in your group was familiar with the place?

It's on the Seawall :) Never eaten there but I heard it was very good.

We not "foodies" either- we always end up at Fuddrucker's because we always end up on the Strand and we love to watch the ships! The weather has been so pretty the last couple of weekends so we've been the last 3 weekends!

Northender,

About 16 of us from our rollcall are going. The cruiser in charge of dinner picked this by asking on various sites, etc. But will let you know when we get back.:)

It's on the Seawall :) Never eaten there but I heard it was very good.

We not "foodies" either- we always end up at Fuddrucker's because we always end up on the Strand and we love to watch the ships! The weather has been so pretty the last couple of weekends so we've been the last 3 weekends!

Thank you, I do believe it gets good reviews. We are there to have a nice dinner, meet some new people, and have some fun before cruising the next day.

Thank you both - now how about that "run" to Krogers from the hotel question please......:D

There is a Kroger at 5730 Seawall Blvd. and the Hilton is at 5400 Seawall Blvd. (I knew they were both there someplace but couldn't place them without checking specific addresses), so it looks like the Kroger is three blocks east of the hotel. Probably not a bad walk - especially if you cross Seawall Blvd. and walk along the seawall itself.

Have a great cruise!

We are staying at the Hilton Galveston Island on March 23rd, so thanks so much for the info.

Question - a number of us from the rollcall are going to Nate's Steakhouse, do you know anything about this establishment. It sounds great.

Also, will need to do a Kroger run the morning of the cruise. Is it walkable or should we cab it. Just need to pick up a couple of items......

I believe our reservation said it comes with breakfast. Was this a continental or full breakfast.

Thanks in advance for any answers

Less than 3 weeks to go.:) :)

Nate's is on the SeaWall, inexpensive, nothing fancy in food furniture or fashion, smoking can be a problem as it's one large room. They probably sell more Chicken Fried Steak then anyone in Galveston. A lot of locals eat there, as it offers good burgers in a seafood town.

It's not a long walk to Kroger's, so I hope you have nice weather for a stroll along the Seawall, enjoy Galveston have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Cruising several months from now on Conquest and just trying to get everything arranged ahead of time. On the pre-cruise and post-cruise stays at the Galveston hotels, do they have any catches?

They let you leave your vehicle there as long as you stay at their hotel before the cruise but what about after? Do they require a night post-cruise too?

Are there any hotels that do NOT let you park if you stay with them the night befoe you cruise?

Thanks!!

Archived