Athens - Advice for early morning flight out

I have booked 1 night post-cruise at the King George. We are travelling with 2 other couples but they are staying 2 nights.

My airline has changed the times of my flights so that I am now leaving Athens at 6:50am, and I am supposing I am to be in the airport 2 hours ahead. :eek: That's REALLY early so I am rethinking staying so far from the airport.

Here's my dilema:

As I said, we are travelling with 2 other couples and will be getting together that evening for dinner. Would you...

a) keep reservation as is and get a taxi at 4 in the morning (I'm sure the fees are atrocious but I'm assuming there will be taxi's at that time of the morning, if prearranged by the hotel) or

b) store baggage with friends in their room, enjoy the Plaka like we planned, go out to dinner then stay at t hotel by the airport?

No matter what I do, it seems like it will be exhausting...

Previously when travelling in Athens (arrival before cruise) we took the metro to Syntagma Square, and it couldn't have been easier or cheaper. I'm mourning that not being an option here...

Thanks in advance for any experience or advice you can share!

Getting a taxi early will not be a problem. Waking up might be.:)

Just so you don't feel too sorry for yourself <grin>, a few weeks ago, I had to catch a plane in Singapore leaving at 6 a.m. Work that one backwards to see what time I needed to crawl out of bed.

As a matter of personal preferance, I'd go with plan B. The Sofitel in right in the airport thus reducing early morning pain to the minimum available.

Where are you eating? Plaka is fun, but imho, the better restaurants are a bit north of there.

Paul

Thanks for info Paul. I was worried about 4am taxi's...

Restaurant wise, one of the other couples is picking. My hope is something in the Plaka area, hopefully established and very relaxed as we will have been on a cruise 12 days and still full:rolleyes: from all the meals. It's not about the food for me, but about the atmosphere, the exoticness of Athens in the evening. Any suggestions?

Thanks for info Paul. I was worried about 4am taxi's...

Restaurant wise, one of the other couples is picking. My hope is something in the Plaka area, hopefully established and very relaxed as we will have been on a cruise 12 days and still full:rolleyes: from all the meals. It's not about the food for me, but about the atmosphere, the exoticness of Athens in the evening. Any suggestions?

If you want to eat in Plaka then either the old stand-by Byzantino is fine for a non-fancy place to eat. I have yet to finish one of their Greek Salads -- due to size, not quality. :)

Paul

Hi there:-

You have to weigh the costs of Hotels in or near the airport versus the King George. I understand the Sofitel can be very expensive. Also cabs in Athens from 12:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. double there fares. So you have to factor in the variables including convenience and decide.

Good Luck

Decided to cancel reservations at King George....got it for a great rate...oh well. Rebooked at the Sofitel, saving about 70 Euro for the night and I sleep more soundly as I only have to walk to check in! Guess I'll have to come back to Athens for my King George stay...:(

Archived