Why Eggcrate foam pad on bed??

BarbMatt

Having sailed HAL last cruise and finding their mattresses the ultimate in dreamtime living, we are now quite concerned that we have booked on the Grand for September, are we about to have 10 sleepless nights? Are the mattresses really that bad? I have a rather down-under quiet pushy manner when I am not happy, even more so if I have had a disturbed slumber and a bad nights sleep, watch out Pursers Office for a 4 am visit and I will not depart until something is done about it Be prepared the Oscars have nothing on me when I am :mad:

What is the reason people ask for an eggcrate foam mattress pad?

Just wondering?

Please let me know.

Thanks

: )

The beds can be a bit firm for those who like a softer mattress. The egg crates usually address this.

The mattresses are very uncomfortable on the ships that have not gone through the replacement procedure. Hard, lumpy, thin and old!!! The sooner all bedding is replaced on all Princess ships the better. It seems everyone asks for an "eggcrate topper" and there are just not enough to go around. Shouldn't that be telling Princess something?

Having said that we love Princess in most other respects.

Having sailed HAL last cruise and finding their mattresses the ultimate in dreamtime living, we are now quite concerned that we have booked on the Grand for September, are we about to have 10 sleepless nights? Are the mattresses really that bad? I have a rather down-under quiet pushy manner when I am not happy, even more so if I have had a disturbed slumber and a bad nights sleep, watch out Pursers Office for a 4 am visit and I will not depart until something is done about it Be prepared the Oscars have nothing on me when I am :mad:

I had to laugh after reading your board name and seeing your picture, and then the post.

Does anyone know which of the Princess ships have the new bedding? We were on the Coral in October and the beds were uncomfortable. I asked for an eggcrate and the cabin steward instead put a couple blankets under the sheet--didn't help much. The next day I found extra comforters under the bed (intended for the bunks that we weren't using) so I pulled off the hard blankets and replaced them with a comforter under the sheet--much more comfortable after that :) .

I ordered the eggcrate on the Star. The beds were terrible, overdue for replacement. The eggcrate mattress made it much better. Asked for it when we boarded-it was on our bed within the hour.

I was just on the Star and will have to concur that the beds are terrible. But I can't remember taking a cruise where I thought the matresses were very good -- on any line.

I can't understand why they can't put a more comfortable mattress on cruise ships. The mattresses on cruise ships put the lines at a definate disadvantage to resort/hotel vacations. The egg crate might help, but would be unnecessary if they would equip the ships with decent beds.

I wonder if my hubby is the only one who likes the hard mattresses on the ships. He does hate the pillows' date=' though, and even brought one onboard the last cruise.[/quote']

On our last cruise on the Diamond we asked for feather pillows and received 4 nice fluffy comfortable pillows within the hour. Had to have eggcrate toppers for the beds though and that took a little longer as there were not that many available.

I didn't know about the egg crate thing because I didn't do much research before my last cruise. I was on the Star Princess last October in a mini-suite and slept pretty well every night. Now I was quite busy every day and just plopped into the bed, and even experienced some horrid sea, but I slept pretty well. I am booked on the CB for September in a balcony room and will ask for an egg crate just in case.

Does anyone know which of the Princess ships have the new bedding? We were on the Coral in October and the beds were uncomfortable. I asked for an eggcrate and the cabin steward instead put a couple blankets under the sheet--didn't help much. The next day I found extra comforters under the bed (intended for the bunks that we weren't using) so I pulled off the hard blankets and replaced them with a comforter under the sheet--much more comfortable after that :) .

Is there any place to find an answer to the question posted above?

I am about to take my first Princess Cruise and have not been able to search all the other threads yet.

Thanks in advance!

:)

The mattresses are not only poor quality but generally sagging and you can feel and see indents. They ran out of egg crate toppers on last cruise and all the steward could use were blankets under the sheet. Princess knows they have a problem with their beds, even Carnival beds are wonderful to sleep on. This time I am faxing in my request for the toppers. My back can't take 7 nights of those beds.

The poster above who says to ask for a foam mattress probably means the eggcrate topper which is a cheapie piece of lightweight foam.

Asking about bedding is different than mattresses. The ships are changing to the nicer bedding (duvets) but so far no word on the mattresses unless you are in a suite. My understanding the bedding (the sheets, blankets) get changed during port times, cruise times, deck by deck. I'm sure you are more interested to know about the mattresses though.

We were on the feb 17 sailing of the Diamond I had warned my wife what I had read about the mattresses she inspected the bed as soon as we boarded and our steward was there she told him we needed the foam those mattresses are as hard as a plank. But with the foam we slept well..

We were on the feb 17 sailing of the Diamond I had warned my wife what I had read about the mattresses she inspected the bed as soon as we boarded and our steward was there she told him we needed the foam those mattresses are as hard as a plank. But with the foam we slept well..

Thanks for confirming it as the Diamond is what we will be on in 3 weeks. Sending fax request today.

I like a firm mattress, but the mini-suite mattress on CB was like sleeping on cement. I woke up with my shoulder and hio throbbing. The egg-crate pad we got on day 2 was a substantial improvement.

I'm generally pretty happy with mattresses in any hotel we stay in (and we tend to stay in 2 or 3 star hotels; not the hyper-luxurious ones) so I was surprised at just how uncomfortable the Princess mattresses were, particuarly in what was an expensive room.

What is the reason people ask for an eggcrate foam mattress pad?

Just wondering?

Please let me know.

Thanks

: )

I've been sleeping with one (at home) since my entire spine was surgically fused in 1990. They gave me one in the hospital at the time to provide additional support and a softer surface for when I was laying on my back.

I've always continued to sleep with one - I like the added support even though I don't actually "need" it anymore. I'm glad that Princess offers them and I always ask for one while sailing.

Archived