New Waves Shore Snorkel

8373seth

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I just returned last week and we went on this excursion. It was really great and I'd encourage you to go!

A fun, colorful bus arrived at the cruise pier and took us to the beach where they are set up. (Easy, five-minute trip!)

At the beach (which in itself was a lovely place to spend half a day), there were about seven reps there from a dive company. They greeted us, gave us a quick overview, and asked us to get in line to receive snorkel gear. This was a little concerning at first, because we were so ready to jump into the water and make the most of our time. But they were pretty efficient and we ended up having plenty of time to stay and snorkel and rest on the beach, because you can really stay as long as you like. They have shuttles every 30 min or so to return you to the ship/ pier area.

We had our own snorkels and masks, but borrowed their fins. Fins are optional, but I found it was better for me with them on. If you don't wear them, water shoes are imperative, as there is a lot of coral and sharp rock formations in the entry area and the snorkeling area. Also, you are required to wear a life jacket here (by the dive operator) if you are on the ship's tour.

The snorkeling was right along the shore, and the coral started just 10 feet or so from the water's edge. You could snorkel out a little further, too, and get away from the crowds (there were always about 40 people in the water in this general area). It was great!

I've been snorkeling in a lot of places, including islands in French Polynesia. The fish here were among the best, biggest, brightest, and most plentiful I've ever seen. Also some very interesting coral to view.

Overall, a great tour. I recommend it.

Archived