Cigars on Carnival

Anyone know what the cigar situation is on carnival ships? Can I get Cubans onboard?

No, you cannot buy them onboard nor can you bring them back through customs either. If you go to an island that sells them, you can smoke them on the ship but I wouldn't bring them back into the states if I were you.

I have brought home boxes of cigars, OPUS- X, padrons. If you smoke quaility cigars you wil know what to look for. Cubans have alot of competition with other countries now. Just keep an eye out for knock offs. But for the most part, with any major name you should be fine. If you need to stock your humidor It's worth the risk. Good luck... :eek:

If you want to bring them home, remove the bands and pack them in your carryon to protect them from the temperature change in the baggage compartment and being ruined. Now with the bands safely packed in checked luggage, there is no way to identify them as being from cuba.

:D

Anyone know what the cigar situation is on carnival ships? Can I get Cubans onboard?

Yes, you can get the Cuban's on board, but you're not supposed to bring them back to the U.S. My husband bought a little humidor box with 5 cubans in Puerto Vallarta for $50 and he and his friends had fun smoking them on board.

Yes, you can get the Cuban's on board, but you're not supposed to bring them back to the U.S. .

I don't think they sell them on all the ships, they had them on the Inspiration a few years ago but the last few cruises we have been on, they did not sell Cubans, They do have a Cuban smoke out on the last sea day.

I don't think they sell them on all the ships, they had them on the Inspiration a few years ago but the last few cruises we have been on, they did not sell Cubans, They do have a Cuban smoke out on the last sea day.

Of the 3 ship I have been on I have yet to see any Cuban's for sale.

They stock the more popular quality cigars, I don't recall thier being more than 10 choices at the most and that includes different sises of the same brand. So if you have a favorite that you doubt they might carry , I would bring your own. :D

If it is leaving from a US port, I doubt they will have Cuban cigars for sale. All of the ships that I have been on, leaving from a US port, DID NOT sell Cuban cigars.

You will find non-Cuban cigars for sale on the ships, but they are VERY expensive. Bring your own, and a few to share with your fellow cigar smokers that you will meet.

Fakes, both Cuban AND non-Cuban, are abundant in the Caribbean.....be careful.........

My opinion: boo hiss as far as smoking cigars on board at all. I think all smoking should be banned on board!

I'm sorry...I missed the question you are responding to. :rolleyes:

Feel free to avoid entering the cigar bar, as it is the only indoor place for smoking cigars onboard. :D

Of all the ships I have been on I have only seen one that had Cubans for sale and that was on the Destiny. These weren't sold in the Cigar bar but actually in Gift shop.

I was on the Destiny is Oct 2005 and ask in the gift shop about Cuban Cigars. They told me they couldn't sell them because we said from PR and it was a US port...

I was on the Destiny is Oct 2005 and ask in the gift shop about Cuban Cigars. They told me they couldn't sell them because we said from PR and it was a US port...

Hmm that is odd. Cause I actually bought the last couple and asked the sales person for the cigar box and he kindly gave it to me. I now use it to keep all my cigar extras in.

My opinion: boo hiss as far as smoking cigars on board at all. I think all smoking should be banned on board!

Please don't hijack the thread with your personal opinion.

latebloomercruiser,

As you would have cigars on board, I would have you on this board. :)

I'm enjoying a fine cigar right now so I can tolerate comments made out of ignorance. ;)

I will be bringing my own to share (10yo OpusX) and I will be looking to pick up some good deals in port. I'm going to the w.carib (coz./belz./cost./Nausau) where am I most likely to find some good deals?

I will be bringing my own to share (10yo OpusX) and I will be looking to pick up some good deals in port. I'm going to the w.carib (coz./belz./cost./Nausau) where am I most likely to find some good deals?

There was a nice shop in Costa Maya at the pier....not sure about the pricing, but they did have good quality cigars when I was there.

Be very careful what you buy. Odds are much better that you are buying a fake than the real thing. There are more knockoff Cohibas produced than real ones. If you're buying from any of the little shops on the streets that sell other souveniers, then it's almost certain that it's fake. Look for a shop called La Casa del Habano. It is owned by the Cuban government (as are all Cuban cigar enterprises) and is authentic. If you search them, you can probably find a listing of their locations. There is one right by the pier on Grand Cayman (not sure if you're going there).

There are also some websites that tell you how to tell the difference.

And btw, the non-Cuban cigars on the ship are extremely over-priced. Much better deal to bring your own -- but that would mean having to smoke a non-Cuban:( .

I am shocked that this came from someone from the people republic of California. I lived in San Diego and El Cajon and loved it, but would never return. If you are an illegal alien and living off the US economy, no problem. If you want to own a restaurant where people can smoke, go elsewhere!

Now that I am done with my rant, be careful with those Cubans. You can safely buy them in Europe, but there are so many hard to spot knock-offs in the Caribbean. I work with several people who are from Cuba and have immigrated legally; the smokes they give me are the only ones I trust. Besides there are so many great smokes made from other countries in the area!

if you plan on buying cigars from other countries in the carr. be carefull the prices are way higher then you would pay at any number of cigar websites.

jrcigars being my choice.

best bet is to buy a few cubins but also bring your fav. with you.

anyhow enjoy your cruise and lite one up for me:D

I have brought home boxes of cigars, OPUS- X, padrons. If you smoke quaility cigars you wil know what to look for. Cubans have alot of competition with other countries now. Just keep an eye out for knock offs. But for the most part, with any major name you should be fine. If you need to stock your humidor It's worth the risk. Good luck... :eek:

Since neither Padron nor OpusX are Cuban it's not surprising that you didn't have a problem.

Archived