Find own Horse and Carriage?

odaisydukeo

My mom and I are going on our first cruise next week, and we have not been able to find anything to do in GT.

We are not beach people or sit and drink people. We are interested in the horse and carriage ride, but we're wondering if it is possible to just pay someone once you get there (and not worry about a certain time).

Any other suggestions for activities?

Didn't see anything like that unless you prebook ahead of time or through your cruise ship. We were on Grand Turk during Thanksgiving Week 2006.

We couldn't even find a scooter to rent unless we wanted to wait in a very long line..so we WALKED to Cockburn Town! (I don't recommend this unless you are really into long hikes. it is about 3 miles away and there are no sidewalks on the one main road!) Taxis are $5. per person each way. We took a taxi back to the cruise ship area after we explored the town.

I don't know anything about the carriage ride, other than when we were out and about, we saw the carriages around town.

We did the "Guana hop-on, hop-off" bus for a tour. There isn't really a lot to see on this island, but we did get off at the lighthouse and walk around a bit, then we caught the next bus (they come every 15 minutes or so). The next stop was Cockburn Town and again, there's not much there. We did do a tour of the prison (your fee includes a tour of the prison). Then we walked around the town and looked at the shopping stalls. Then we caught the bus back to the port area. I believe we spent a couple of hours doing this tour.

After this, we spent another hour or so wandering through the shops that are located next to the pier.

I personally thought $39 per person was a bit high for this tour (the bus), but there's not a lot to do on this island. Looking at my excursion sheet, I see that the horse and buggy ride is $59. It's up to you...but I think $59 is a lot for what you're going to be doing. But the people did look like they were enjoying themselves.

Archived