Dress Code Noordam

mommybunny21

[quote name='NoNoNanette'][SIZE=5][B]*WILDLY APPLAUDING*[/B][/SIZE][/quote]

Bingo Folks!
I'll be on the noordam for the 3/21 sailing. I will and always do dress for formal nights but I will also be out of those clothes immediately following dinner or photos and wandering the ship. For those who find that offensive, I suggest you look the other way. You might find my casual attire improper, but its a lot less tacky and annoying than someone who actually frets enough over another persons dress to let it give them an attitude. Its my vacation and Im going to wear what makes me comfortable. Maybe we should discuss who should and shouldnt be allowed to wear bathing suits in public???

[quote name='NoNoNanette'][SIZE=5][B]*WILDLY APPLAUDING*[/B][/SIZE][/quote]

Bingo Folks!
I'll be on the noordam for the 3/21 sailing. I will and always do dress for formal nights but I will also be out of those clothes immediately following dinner or photos and wandering the ship. For those who find that offensive, I suggest you look the other way. You might find my casual attire improper, but its a lot less tacky and annoying than someone who actually frets enough over another persons dress to let it give them an attitude. Its my vacation and Im going to wear what makes me comfortable. As long as we're trying to dictate attire, maybe we should discuss who should and shouldnt be allowed to wear bathing suits in public???

I get the feeling that this is one "battle" that will be decided by HAL. If they want to enforce a dress code all evening, they will, and if not, then not. No one group of people is going to be able to enforce what they want on others. Don't forget, that the people whp post here are just a small representative of those who cruise on HAL. This will be a wait and see deal, and will depend on the attitudes of all the passengers. I, for one, hope everyone will be respectful and follow the code for the evening, but I fear not since this has become a world of how can I skirt the rules and what can I get away with?

[quote name='snownyet']Bingo Folks!
I'll be on the noordam for the 3/21 sailing. I will and always do dress for formal nights but I will also be out of those clothes immediately following dinner or photos and wandering the ship. For those who find that offensive, I suggest you look the other way. You might find my casual attire improper, but its a lot less tacky and annoying than someone who actually frets enough over another persons dress to let it give them an attitude. Its my vacation and Im going to wear what makes me comfortable. Maybe we should discuss who should and shouldnt be allowed to wear bathing suits in public???[/quote]

AS I've said many, many times (and which many people seemingly overlook) is that I could not care less what you wear, but I do care that you observe the rules, regulations and conventions aboard ship. If the rules say you can change, do so. If they say you shouldn't, follow that also.

It isn't about appearance, it's all about "doing the right thing," whether that concerns lifeboat drill, smuggling items aboard, things you try to flush, honoring the "adults only" pool restriction - or following the dress code.

I'll be on the noordam for the 3/21 sailing. I will and always do dress for formal nights but I will also be out of those clothes immediately following dinner or photos and wandering the ship. For those who find that offensive, I suggest you look the other way. You might find my casual attire improper, but its a lot less tacky and annoying than someone who actually frets enough over another persons dress to let it give them an attitude. Its my vacation and Im going to wear what makes me comfortable. As long as we're trying to dictate attire, maybe we should discuss who should and shouldnt be allowed to wear bathing suits in public???[/quote]

oki doki, i will look the other way, as long as you don't mind my bikini!:cool:

[quote name='dakrewser']AS I've said many, many times (and which many people seemingly overlook) is that I could not care less what you wear, but I do care that you observe the rules, regulations and conventions aboard ship. If the rules say you can change, do so. If they say you shouldn't, follow that also.

It isn't about appearance, it's all about "doing the right thing," whether that concerns lifeboat drill, smuggling items aboard, things you try to flush, honoring the "adults only" pool restriction - or following the dress code.[/quote]

I guess my line of thought is this, If HAL expected everyone to be in formal attire throughout the entire evening, the lido would be formal too. Or is it the feelings of many in formal attire that the lido diners expected to keep thier downdressed attire to the lido area and out of sight of the other more sophisticated travellers? I have to wear the same tux 3 times and although I do bring 3 tux shirts and different ties to mix it up, I sure dont want to sweat, risk spilled drinks and stand in smoke filled bars when I have to get 3 nights out of the rest of it. Im a big rule follower, enough so that the DW often tells me to pull the stick out of my rear end, however this is one issue Im sticking to my guns on. Id imagine if it were an issue HAL had a problem with, theyd take measures to stop it. However, based on the recent elimination of informal nights and the integration of as you wish dining, it sure looks to me as if its going the other way.

I'll be on the noordam for the 3/21 sailing. I will and always do dress for formal nights but I will also be out of those clothes immediately following dinner or photos and wandering the ship. For those who find that offensive, I suggest you look the other way. You might find my casual attire improper, but its a lot less tacky and annoying than someone who actually frets enough over another persons dress to let it give them an attitude. Its my vacation and Im going to wear what makes me comfortable. As long as we're trying to dictate attire, maybe we should discuss who should and shouldnt be allowed to wear bathing suits in public???[/QUOTE]

"Immediately" ?
Please wait until you get back to your cabin to start taking off your clothing. :) Though why someone would bring the Formal clothing and dress JUST for dinner is beside me. Why not stay dress for the fun, pagentry, and other evening festivities. :)

However ... if, after you've done so and you've wandered on out and about in your shorts and t-shirts (or whatever you're planning on wearing), you become uncomfortable because you're standing out conspicuously as the only person in the Lounge dressed sloppy/grungy or just casual, and people are staring at you, etc., don't blame us. And please, PLEASE, don't put down on your comment card "do away with Formal Nights!" Let those of us who want the Formal Nights to stay have SOMETHING our way. Okay?

[quote name='snownyet'] Or is it the feelings of many in formal attire that the lido diners expected to keep thier downdressed attire to the lido area and out of sight of the other more sophisticated travellers?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]So you really do "get it". You don't put it well, but you do seem to understand after all. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]So you really do "get it". You don't put it well, but you do seem to understand after all. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[I]Of course[/I] they "get it," Ruth. They've always "gotten it." They just want to have the pleasure of "sticking it" in our eye while rubbing our noses in "their vacation." Sadly, it's their self-centered attitude ("it's [I]my[/I] vacation, I'll observe the rules I want and ignore those I don't like") that is at least in part responsible for massive outbreaks of Norwalk (i.e. "it's my vacation, my health, and my business if I wash my hands after wiping my butt.") And, for any who think I'm being absurd (or that I'm "sick" or "need help"), it should be noted that disrespect for the rules in one area cannot help but translate over into disrespect in other areas.

[quote name='snownyet'][B][I]I guess my line of thought is this, If HAL expected everyone to be in formal attire throughout the entire evening, the lido would be formal too.[/I][/B] [/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Bingo! Excellent point! That is without a doubt an issue that does not make it easy for HAL to enforce the "dress code" [U]request [/U] throughout the night on the ship. We're like you in that we follow the "code" and dress up for all formal nights. We are unlike you in that we keep them clothes on until we go to sleep and/or engage in other activities. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Although I really only wear a tux (and, with some exceptions, really a suit also) nowadays on a cruise (When in Detectives, I wore a suit/tie daily but that doesn't work being back on the streets), I don't really get the "changing into something more comfortable" concept (but as stated before, I have a small brain:eek: ). A tux (or a suit/tie for that matter) does not feel uncomfortable to me so I don't feel the need to change after dinner. That's just me, I don't want to pretend to speak for you or any other male species. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]In addition however, the wifes (girlfriends/significant others from the female persuation) seem to spent quite a bit more time than us male-types getting ready for formal night:eek: . If yours is like mine, frequently double the time I spend! I don't want to waste all that time and effort on her part for dinner, only for me to then change into slacks, shorts, cut-offs, a polo/t-shirt/wife-beater, and/or whatever floats ones boat;) ). After all that time invested, my wife is not going to change clothes after dinner so I don't either. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Once again, the problem with the dress code on HAL is that it is "suggested". It is difficult to enforce and HAL's track record doing just that has been inconsistent and spotty at best. Personally, I don't see how you can make the Lido "casual" but still ask folks that then dress casually to go there, to avoid certain areas/decks of the ship because it's formal night. I don't see "casual" and "formal" routes to get to certain places working.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]But I can also fully understand those (like ourselves) who want that dress code to remain in effect. For us, following "the code" adds to the ambiance aboard those Dam ships and that includes the show lounge(s) and the night club after dinner. For others, it obviously doesn't and that's why this will always remain a hot topic. Off the box! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='snownyet']I guess my line of thought is this, If HAL expected everyone to be in formal attire throughout the entire evening, the lido would be formal too. [/quote]

Oddly enough, I really don't care why the code is as it is, nor do I give a fig what you think about it. All I know is that the line publishes what it expects of us, and we should follow those guidelines.

[quote name='dakrewser']Oddly enough, I really don't care why the code is as it is, nor do I give a fig what you think about it. All I know is that the line publishes what it expects of us, and we should follow those guidelines.[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone give a fig about what you think about it?:rolleyes:

[quote name='revneal'][I]Of course[/I] they "get it," Ruth. They've always "gotten it." They just want to have the pleasure of "sticking it" in our eye while rubbing our noses in "their vacation." Sadly, it's their self-centered attitude ("it's [I]my[/I] vacation, I'll observe the rules I want and ignore those I don't like") that is at least in part responsible for massive outbreaks of Norwalk (i.e. "it's my vacation, my health, and my business if I wash my hands after wiping my butt.") And, for any who think I'm being absurd (or that I'm "sick" or "need help"), it should be noted that disrespect for the rules in one area cannot help but translate over into disrespect in other areas.[/quote]

I think youre taking this a bit far! Im not new to HAL, and in fact took my cue of dressing down after dinner by looking around at others on previous HAL cruises who didnt stand out but rather looked comfortable, I loathe ties and my wife loathes the shoes. Whats kind of interesting is over the years Ive heard many talk of the "stuffy" types that frequent HAL, ironically after sailing I had never actually come in contact with the people that term made reference too....till I came here. Im not talking walking around like a slob in gym shorts and a tank top, in fact I find it offensive you would simply assume what dressing down means and refer to anything outside of a tux or suit as sloppy or grungy. Im talking nice dress pants and stylish button down shirt... I suppose I should have cleared that up. If thats not good enough, my apologies.

[quote name='snownyet']I think youre taking this a bit far! Im not new to HAL, and in fact took my cue of dressing down after dinner by looking around at others on previous HAL cruises who didnt stand out but rather looked comfortable, I loathe ties and my wife loathes the shoes. Whats kind of interesting is over the years Ive heard many talk of the "stuffy" types that frequent HAL, ironically after sailing I had never actually come in contact with the people that term made reference too....till I came here. Im not talking walking around like a slob in gym shorts and a tank top, in fact I find it offensive you would simply assume what dressing down means and refer to anything outside of a tux or suit as sloppy or grungy. Im talking nice dress pants and stylish button down shirt... I suppose I should have cleared that up. If thats not good enough, my apologies.[/QUOTE]

I've got to agree with you 100%, as you said if you actually sail on HAL you will know that the talk about the stuffy types does not exist on the ships, it exists on these threds.;)

[quote name='snownyet']I think youre taking this a bit far! Im not new to HAL, and in fact took my cue of dressing down after dinner by looking around at others on previous HAL cruises who didnt stand out but rather looked comfortable, [/quote]

See that's something some of us find hard to understand. Those of us who are comfortable with a suit and tie on. If you aren't comfortable in the suit and tie, perhaps you need a different tailor, one who fill actually get you the clothing that fits correctly. A well-fitted suit, with a shirt that is the right size for your neck and a nice tie are no more "uncomfortable" than "nice dress pants and stylish button down shirt...."

[quote name='caribbean girl']Isn't he fun? :D I especially liked his hats! He was on the Noordam with us a couple of years ago. Remembering that got me a dance with him at Northern Lights!!;)[/QUOTE]

He is so hysterical!! We were in the elevator with him one day and he is great.Together with Jason Venner, they were a blast!

[quote name='dakrewser']See that's something some of us find hard to understand. Those of us who are comfortable with a suit and tie on. If you aren't comfortable in the suit and tie, perhaps you need a different tailor, one who fill actually get you the clothing that fits correctly. A well-fitted suit, with a shirt that is the right size for your neck and a nice tie are no more "uncomfortable" than "nice dress pants and stylish button down shirt...."[/quote]

I wear a custom tailorerd Armani tux, it fits very nice. Fact of the matter is I dont like any shirts buttoned around my neck, call it closterphobia if you wish. I dont know whats so hard to understand about someone not being comfortable wearing a certain type of clothing.

[quote name='SusieCruisie']He is so hysterical!! We were in the elevator with him one day and he is great.Together with Jason Venner, they were a blast![/quote]

My opinion is (and I shared this with him) that Jason has a future in stand up.;) He is very funny...:D Did you get to meet Kory in the Piano Bar? Another very talented and funny crew member on the Noordam and a favorite of ours...this is bringing back great memories!:)

We were on The Princess Crown this Feb....people were all dressed nicely on formal night.

The ones, like us, that dined in the "Lido" type dining area were still dressed nicely. Men= Shirt and nice slacks....Women= nice pants outfit or dress in my case.

In our case, I was post operative ( lucky to make the cruise ) and could not wear the formal garments.

We haven't cruised HAL for a few cruises but I still like to read this board because I know there will always be a thread about what to wear.

Reminds me of the "How Many Angels can stand on the head of a pin " discussion. :D

It can all be solved by a NUDE CRUISE :D

[quote name='Woe is me']I've got to agree with you 100%, as you said if you actually sail on HAL you will know that the talk about the stuffy types does not exist on the ships, it exists on these threds.;)[/quote]

That is the ABSOLUTE truth, gang. I had done alot of researching prior to booking our first HAL cruise. All seemed great.

THEN, I ventured to this forum....YIKES! :eek:

[COLOR=Red][B]Blow it off....as I've said before, these "stuffy" folks are a highly vocal MINORITY. That was proven to me on our Volendam cruise in December...[/B][/COLOR]

Don't sweat it.... have fun! :)

Archived