Ordering more than 1 item on the menu?

Oh, great! I never considered ordering 2, but will now. I like to try new things, but rarely like different things enough to eat an entire plate of it. I'll just order it for the table to share, and no waste! I see what the writer meant by sharing a coke on the coke card, though it is different. If excessiveness is okay in one situation, it is odd that they care about soda sharing at all. It seems like it would be cheaper than these gourmet meals. Maybe they should include soda. Do you ever notice that soda really fills you up? Or is it just me?

Just for the record, I am not "stealing" soda, I don't buy a soda card because it is wiser for me to purchase the ONE coke I drink throughout the week. ;)

I was really disappointed on Princess the night my father tried to order a baked potatoe instead of the side on the menu. The waiter gave him a funny look that made others uncomfortable with making a special request and then told him that he really didn't want the baked potatoe, but should have the other side instead.

On the other hand, one night on a Princess cruise (and we were seated at the Captain's table), they served lamb. DH asked the assistant waiter for mint jelly and was told that he would have to check with the waiter. The waiter went to the headwaiter who came to the table and said to DH, "You want me to go all the way back to the kitchen for that?" Needless to say, he got his mint jelly, but we never went back to Princess.

Hmmmm ... I see a theme, here ... :rolleyes:

We have been on two cruises with our three teenaged boys. They are 6'3, 6'4, and 6'6 (and still growing).

On other vacations, when we are at a restaurant, and they want two appetizers, a big main course, dessert, I am always doing math in my head, and we can end up with a $100+ tab at a very modest restaurant very easily. So then I have to give the mommy signals that they shouldn't order this or that, etc. For a regular dinner out this is no big deal. But eating out meal after meal, on a vacation, it becomes a constant slight stress.

I never noticed it until this particular stress disappeared on our first cruise. Two appetizers? no problem! Two main courses? no problem! For those with growing boys (we still buy milk 4 gallons at a time, and one of them is away at college!) you know what a pleasant change it is to NOT worry about the meal tab or how much they are eating, or if they got enough....

At least on our favorite cruise line, RCCL, ordering more than one item off the menu in the main dining room is NO problem. YAY!

In our experience we have found that we have to be VERY careful of what we say to the waiter. On more than one occasion, the DW and I have debated on what to get when the waiter got to the table. We did order what we decided on, but then the waiter brought everything we had mentioned might be good.

Glutton that night - maybe. Did we finish it all - no. Did we feel bad - not a bit. We're on a cruise to enjoy the life of kings and queens, so we'll eat and enjoy the best we can.

Archived