Carry-on bag only?

molaurie

The way I understand it is that creases in clothing come from applying pressure to the folds. If you wrap a piece of clothing into the shape of a tube (rolling) it will be easier to straigten out than a creased fold.

I usually try to fold the sleeves in at the arm seams and roll the shirt all in one piece. The "fold" is only at the armpit and is much less noticable. Of course, if you have wrinkle-resistant clothing that helps immensely.

I have also experimented with "bundle folding" which is wrapping clothes around one another. That worked fairly well, but it seemed like a lot more work to me, and it's hard to get to something on the inside of the "bundle" fi you need it before you unpack.

I don't recall the name of the websites I've visited in the past, but if you do a search for traveling light or packing light I'm sure those sites will pop up.

I guess I should also give credit to Hubby, who was in the military, and they rolled everything in their duffle bags!

I am used to backpacking for sometimes weeks at a time while hiking and doing research so I'm used to squeezing all necessities into a small space. In that case the restrictions are far more then for normal traveling and you need more (all you can bring is campsoap, you need a water purifier, something to cook with). So I plan on taking one rolling carry-on bag on my upcoming 8 night caribbean cruise. I will be taking 2 cocktail length formal dresses that will get laid on the bottom of the suitcase not folded (edges hanging over on opposite ends. I plan on taking 6 sundresses (great for day and evening, eliminates extra clothes) that will get laid alternating like the formal dresses. Undergarments go in a 1 gallon plastic bag with the air squished out. Bathing suits and Cover-up get the same treatment as undergarments. I use 2 1 quart plastic bags for toiletries, make-up, and jewelry (I will not be traveling on a plane). All the plastic bags get laid on top of the dresses, shoes go on top of plastic bags (I limit my self to one pair of dress sandals, one pair of flip flops, one pair of water friendly hiking/running sandals (which get worn not packed)). On top of this goes a skort and a few tank tops, then the dresses get folded over. Great way to avoid wrinkling, and your bag should be packed tightly or shifting may cause wrinkling. Just make sure your bag fits with any airline specifications if you are flying or within the cruise template (carnival is 24"wide and 16"high). The benefit is not having to wait for your luggage or running the risk of it never making it on the boat.

Archived