snorkeling & glasses

skedaddle43

:confused: I will be a first time cruiser in September, but have long wanted to snorkel. Had planned to do so, but when I went to buy mask and snorkel, I learned that I can't because I wear glasses to see. Not much sense going to the expense if I can't see anything. I really don't want to invest the $220 to have a prescription mask made. Any suggestions?

Kit

:confused: I will be a first time cruiser in September, but have long wanted to snorkel. Had planned to do so, but when I went to buy mask and snorkel, I learned that I can't because I wear glasses to see. Not much sense going to the expense if I can't see anything. I really don't want to invest the $220 to have a prescription mask made. Any suggestions?

Kit

You can get stick on lenses that you put on the glass inside the mask. They are called diveoptx definitely worth a look.

you can buy them here

I am planning on snorkling excursions also, but when I read these post began to wonder. I am one who when they ask "read the smallest line you can on the chart" can answer "what chart?"

I have been wondering about wearing my contacts. They are the soft acuview and wonder if they might survive snorkling or would they "wash out"

I checked out the web site, but they were for swim goggles - not a snorkel mask and the attachment cords would cause the same leakage as the earpieces of my glasses. I'm really looking for a solution for a mask.

Kit

I have been wondering about wearing my contacts. They are the soft acuview and wonder if they might survive snorkling or would they "wash out"

I always wear my soft contacts when I snorkel and I have never had a problem with them washing out. Hope this helps. :)

I've tried 2 ways:

- Rented a mask with built-in Rx magnification

- Used Soft disposable contact lenses. (I didn't buy the presription lens mask because I wouldn't use them enough to warrant the cost).

I used disposable contacts on recommendation of my optometrist. They didn't wash out and shouldn't unless you plan to swim without the mask on. The BEST part was that I didn't have to keep my glasses handy for when I took the mask off! - i.e. I could see like a normal person getting into and out of the water from boat or beach.

(When I used the Rx mask, I still had to have my glasses with me to see once out of the water.)

The only thing my optometrist suggested was to wear the contacts once only and use a fresh pair next time. Definitely worth it. Check with your eye care professional. Cost of disposables are quite inexpensive.

Ell

Hi Kit,

You can get the mask with scrip lenses for less than $220, unless you need something unusual. You can get a good mask for about $40-$50, and each lens for $25, so it could be just over $100, including shipping (they put in the lenses for free). I don't know if that puts in into an acceptable range for you, but I was thrilled with being able to see well. Of course, I snorkel (and now dive) several times per cruise. I don't like advertising for people on the boards, but if you want to email me at jeffinhburg (at) yahoo.com, I'll let you know where I got mine.

Jeff

I am planning on snorkling excursions also, but when I read these post began to wonder. I am one who when they ask "read the smallest line you can on the chart" can answer "what chart?"

lka1012 - Not only do I have to ask "what chart" but have to ask if the doctor is still in the room! I went to a local dive shop and bought a mask and had prescription lenses installed there. About $180 all together. It took a little for me to justify the costs but after remembering that I almost ran head on with a barracuda in the Bahamas a few years back because I didn't see him, I decided it was a safety factor. I'm not going snorkeling until Sept but did try out the mask this weekend in the pool and was amazed at how well I could see.

• 3 weeks later...

My dad just popped the lenses out of an old pair of glasses and put them in the mask - they lodged in well. Even if the prescription is a bit old it will work since water magnifies. It was the most economical solution for what might be a few days of snorkeling.

Youc an rent snorkel masks with a magnifier (small fee) at most dive shops.

My girlfriend does every time we cruise. e-mail the dive shops in port and find out who carries them and then just pick one up!

They have different prescription strengths and you can try several on and see which level works best for you.

I was one of those blind as a bat people too. (legally blind!)

Had laser surgery back in 1998 and still have better than 20/20 vision.

Makes life alot easier in the water when you can see!

Try the prescription mask rental it's alot cheaper than buying.

Good Luck,

Donna

Regarding contact lenses, I was snorkeling in Cozumel last year and had one pop out when I stopped to adjust my mask. I was very proud of the fact I was able to get it back in while bobbing up and down in the water, it wasn't easy though. I discarded it as soon as I could but I'm severely nearsighted and would have been lost without it.

Thanks for the heads up, maria65! After considering all the options, I figured I would give in to my wishes for contacts and take the plunge. :D Got them 2 days ago, and oh what a difference since I first wore the old hard contacts from 1965 to about 1985! But now I'll be extra careful thanks to your warning.

Kit

• 3 weeks later...

Soft contaccts work great while snorkeling. The salt watr bothers my eyes less than without, and the contacts work great as the salt water keeps them from drying out. I can't use contacts day in and day out, but started using them for excersize & active activities after I got some trial pairs to do snorkeling. This is highly recommended!

• 3 weeks later...

I found a website http://www.scuba.com that offers masks and corrective inserts at a reasonable rate. Most of the masks were between $40-$60 dollars and the inserts are between $25-$35 per lens. You need to check with your eye doctor to make sure you get the right strength. It's my first time purchasing thru this company and my order should be here by Tuesday. I'm cruising on the Century 10/16-10/23 and will post how things work out when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't mention what type of glasses prescription you have. The diveoptx mentioned earlier I think are mainly for far sightedness. They stick on the outside of the mask and should work for just about any kind of mask if that is the problem.

Last year, I asked my doctor about soft contacts so I could see while snorkeling. I had a lot of astigmatism and far sightedness. Too much for contacts to be a good replacement for glasses for me, but I wondered if disposables would at least help during snorkeling. She lfelt they would be a help for snorkeling and let me see what things would look like with 3 diopters of far sightedness correction and it was much clearer than my uncorrected vision. Disposables mean you don't have to worry about loosing them.

I didn't get to actually try snorkeling with the disposables as I ended up getting laser surgery before the trip (not just so I could see while snorkeling :) ).

I wear contacts and my hubby wears glasses. He purchased a mask and Rx lenses for less than $200. I bought a regular mask and wear it with my contacts with no problem.

If the cost of the Rx mask is not justifiable, the soft contact lenses are a good alternative. Check with your optical provider.

I didn't get to actually try snorkeling with the disposables as I ended up getting laser surgery before the trip (not just so I could see while snorkeling :) ).

Good for you. DM had lasik also. It was a life changing event for her, in a positive way. She went from 20/200 to 20/20.

Now if I could just get her interested in scuba diving....(big sigh).....

Bruce,

Yes, it is like magic. I also was 20/200. I would have been happy even if I ended up 20/30 and still needed a mild perscription for perfect correction. I couldn't even read the clock at night without putting my glasses on. Because my eyes were on the edge of what they can correct, I didn't expect 20/20 but I got it. I still need reading glasses when I want to read a lot, but that's okay.

I know its not for everybody but it has been great for me.

I wish my husband liked snorkeling but he has no interest (sigh too). I think I'll try scuba when I go on Windstar in December. I'm not sure how it will work out because I sometimes have some sinus congestion problems.

Archived