Victoria Car Rental & Sights

We are in Victoria from 6pm to midnight one night, and are considering renting a car there. Are there any agencies near where the ship docks?

We want to see Butchart Gardens, and some of the town, and feel like we can save a lot doing it ourselves. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

I always use Discount when booking cars for friends or co workers coming into town. I am not sure if they are open at that hour of the day. They have a free shuttle van that will come and pick you up. There are also some smaller tour companies that have cars that might be more reasonable.

If you're only in port for six hours (which will really be more like 5 when you take into account clearing customs and having to be back onboard 30 minutes prior sailing) I suggest you take a ship's tour. You'll waste too much time picking up and returning a rental car. The drive to Butchart Gardens is 40 minutes each way and that doesn't take into account any traffic snarls. Any money you might save will be wasted if you don't make it back to the ship in time and watch it sail off without you.

• 2 weeks later...

I second that! it would be no fun to miss the boat!

dropping off a rental car late at night & getting back to the ship could be a bit of a headache too - if you do go the rental route - all the major rental car companies are available downtown Victoria & you can take a shuttle to very close by (they may all do pickups at the cruise terminal)

How much is the cruise ship excusion pp? if the cruise excusion to the gardens includes the $25 pp admission to the gardens, it might not be such a bad deal?

another thing to consider is that a cruise ship tour will jump the lines to get in at butcharts...more time to enjoy your visit...some nights are quite busy (the gardens at night are spectacular!)

Sorry to disagree with the previous poster, but there is no way to "jump the lines" to get into Butcharts - one road in, one road out. There is no physical way a tour bus could get by the other vehicles in line to get in. I will agree that once inside the gate, the buses get to park closer to the start of the garden walk.

once you get off the road, there is more than one lane on the one way driveway leading into the gardens.... buses get priority in one line. been there many times. buses also park in a different lot MUCH closer & on a busy night that can be an issue.

Archived