***LIVE*** From the Carnival Freedom

blackegg

TURKISH VISAS

Could anybody currently on Carnival Freedom answer this question please.

QUERY

How much did the ship charge for Visas for the two ports in Turkey ?

Also was there a difference in the charge for USA, Australian or United Kingdom citizens.

Many thanks

Roger

I thought the visa's were already taken care of? I'm waiting for the answer on this one as well now!

Bekah: Thank you for all your great info! It's great!

The visas are taken care of by the ship and they are included in all the port fees and other taxes that you see, when you go on a cruise it is unlike a land package. You do not have to worry about it. The only difference between this and some of the other ports is that they clear each passport rather than clearing the ship. You go thru the same thing in many other exotic ports. Carnival can not tell you the rate because it is all packaged together with all the other charges. Do not worry.

The visas are taken care of by the ship and they are included in all the port fees and other taxes that you see, when you go on a cruise it is unlike a land package. You do not have to worry about it. The only difference between this and some of the other ports is that they clear each passport rather than clearing the ship. You go thru the same thing in many other exotic ports. Carnival can not tell you the rate because it is all packaged together with all the other charges. Do not worry.

Hi Jkeller527 and also K&B-07

Turkish Visas

Thanks both of you for responding to my query so quickly. Could I ask a very special favour from one of you ?

Request

Could you please phone pursers or ships office and confirm they have not already added an amount to your shipboard account for these Visas that they did not tell you about !

Whilst it is great if Visas are included this seems to differ from my previous experience with other cruise lines (not Carnival) where Visas were not included in total cost of the cruise !

I am not worried about 10 or 20 dollars, I was concerned when the Turkish Visa Web site showed an amount of AUD$128 per port per passenger for UK passport ie AU$256 per passenger for cruise ! Melody on our roll call board quoted for "sticky" Visas "For UK, US, Australia citizens, the 2007 fee is $20/15 Euros. However, Canadians....bite the bullet!!!! : 18 - Canada 60 $ - 45 Euro". It would be nice to know the correct amount.

Doubting Thomas - Roger

You're very welcome, I just know that when blackegg was posting his experiences, I was checking the page about 5 times a day waiting for another update!

It is true that for US citizens the price for the visas is built into the price you pay for the stateroom. Although I haven’t asked yet if there was an additional charge for Canadian or UK or Austrailian citizens, I can find that out as there are quite a few on board, so I’ll get back to you on this one!

We did make it into Athens today, but barely! We arrived a little late, I’m not sure what you can see on the webcams, but we have had very strong winds (35-40mph) while at sea. Today when we arrived in Pireaus the port was closed due to those strong winds. We hung out for three hours until the port opened up. We were allowed to stay from 10am-7pm where originally it was from 6am-4pm. They haven’t announced yet what will happen to the rest of the ports, but I don’t care much about Katakalon, so as long as we make it to Florence on time, well . . . But we’ll let you know how it all unfolds.

In Ephesus, I feel like much of our day was sitting and waiting and I didn’t like the tour guide that Carnival had for us, so my answer is to get a guide for Ephesus. There is so much to see and you’re not there for too long, I highly suggest that’s the way to go! Never thought I’d be recommending a tour guide, but believe me, you’ll be glad you did. They aren’t too expensive from what I gather and if you’re going to hire a guide, this is one of the least expensive ones to go with. Originally, we had planned on doing this port on our own, just like all the others, but we caved. Since I didn’t do that one on my own, I’m hesitant to suggest that you do that, although with enough planning and knowledge about Izmir, I’m sure it’s a breeze like many of the other ports. So it’s up to you. I didn’t feel unsafe at any time.

Throughout all the ports it’s been warm enough that I haven’t even really pulled out my jacket. Today though it rained on us while we were at the Acropolis, fortunately we were on our way out anyway, and we had our jackets with us. Then we found a café nearby and got some lunch, watched the changing of the guards in Syntagma square and shopped a bit. It was wonderful. During lunch, the rain passed and the clouds cleared which made a very good afternoon.

I will be posting my final cost and report under Carnival Freedom and will post a link to it in this thread, so no worries, I’ll make sure you all find it!

For okteach_61,

Re: your question about the overnight in Civitavecchia when we board on Oct. 28th for the Transatlantic.

Anytime we've overnighted on a port there has never been a time to be back. We've always been free to come and go as we please. I'm sure it will be the same.

Dear Fellow Shipmates:

I knew when I began this thread shortly before leaving for Venice, this thread could become one of the most valuable. I really enjoyed those pioneering posts from every port of call. Scouring for a cheap Internet cafe on shore and then dashing for the ship before they pulled the plank was exciting and rewarding.

I can see now that others have taken up the challenge and have been answering questions. Life goes on for us in teh USA.

I would be delighted to offer anymore help if I can. Please write personally to me at <jimknies@yahoo.com> and I will do my bext.

This will probably be my last post on this thread as others are ably carrying on.

Have a great cruise,

Blackegg

It is true that for US citizens the price for the visas is built into the price you pay for the stateroom. Although I haven’t asked yet if there was an additional charge for Canadian or UK or Austrailian citizens, I can find that out as there are quite a few on board, so I’ll get back to you on this one!

( I find you can edit the quote to save space !)

Turkish Visas

Hi Bekah

Many thanks for the confirmation that for US Citizens Turkish Visa is included in Stateroom price. I really would appreciate if you find out for UK,Australia and Candadians. It will help many people now and in future. It seems very difficult to get the information from Carnival. I asked our travel agent to contact them 4 days ago to find about Visas and still no reply !

Many thanks also for finding to post information about other matters. It is truly appreciated.

Roger

Thanks, Bekah and Blackegg -

I've been living vicariously via this thread, the webcam and the itinerary schedule. Hopefully, someone in the next group will keep it going. We love hearing about the new ports.

Bye the way, I read somewhere that someone missed a port in Turkey. How terrible for them. Do you know if they were able to make their way back onto the ship?

Checked out the Freedom's webcams this morning (part of my daily routine, now! *L*)....what port are they in?

I'm like you...I can hardly wait to check all the threads. Such a wealth of information! On the webcam, I check at the bottom where it says fleet locator, and it will tell you where they are as well.

Bekah and Blackegg...thank you both again for all your time and effort. Greatly appreciated! So many questions....is there a store onboard where you can buy a bottle, if you wanted to have a few people into your room for a cocktail? Or is it just duty-free for after the cruise? Just wondering....

I'm like you...I can hardly wait to check all the threads. Such a wealth of information! On the webcam, I check at the bottom where it says fleet locator, and it will tell you where they are as well.

Doh!!

*LOL*

Thanks! Looks like Katakolon is the next stop...?

Hello everyone! We have just left the port of Katakalon. It was a chilly rainy day today with the high being 53. Can’t complain I’d rather it rain today than one of the others. After leaving Athens at 7pm last night we still made it into port an hour early today! Katakalon is a great relaxing port, my DH and I slept in and then had lunch in Katakalon and did a little shopping. There’s not a whole lot to do, but that’s nice as this is a port intensive schedule! I did talk to a few people who went on excursions to Olympia and they enjoyed going very much, so it seems like you can’t go wrong in this port.

To those asking about wine/alcohol. Let me tell you what’s gone on with us. My husband likes wine and liqueurs so he has bought some in every port we’ve been in. We simply put the bottle of wine or liqueur in his backpack and carry it on. We don’t ask they don’t take it away. We currently have five bottles combined in our stateroom. Sssshhh! Don’t tell! Also, plain water is really cheap in port (around 0.50 EU for a 1.5 litre) and we have bought a few of these and I carry that on board and they see me carry it. They usually ask me to carry it and not put it on the conveyer for closer inspection. This may change for you but so far it’s worked for us!

We got our passports back today and I asked about the visas for other nationalities than US. They said it doesn’t matter what your nationality is your Turkish Visa is included in the price of your stateroom.

As for DVD players in the balcony rooms, unfortunately they are not in here. They may be in the suites, but I wouldn’t know, sorry! My DH and I bought a balcony guarantee and ended up in room 1023. We like the location as it’s close to the Freedom buffet in case we’re hungry in a strange time of day and don’t want to wait on room service. Roomservice for breakfast has always come on time, but in the middle of the day it takes about an hour. Maybe it’s just our luck I don’t know, but it’s easier for us to go find something than wait and order in. Back to the DVD players, my DH checked and they do have the slots for the red/yellow/white cord, so if you bring a personal DVD player you may be able to hook it up.

As for the Sun King, it was ok. The service in the Posh dining room seemed too formal for me at first but we’ve gotten used to it. Going to the Sun King was taking many steps up from the service you get in the Posh dining and for me it was a good one time experience. They have a $30 head fee and any wine or caviar you get is on top of that, plus the $30 doesn’t include gratuity. All in all it cost us about $100, but we ordered wine and champagne. The thing I didn’t like is that we were seated next to the window that overlooks the deck. Nice view, except when the guys are swabbing the deck during my nice dinner and they are standing there waving. Honestly I would have preferred a different view. However, the food was great as was the service we received. I think that someone asked the differences between the Posh and Chic dining rooms, and I’m not sure I answered that, but there is no difference other than location. They are identical in decoration and floor plan.

Tomorrow is another sea day and I assume it’s our last formal day which means there will be a total of two on this itinerary. I wish there were more, but I’m sure many are delighted that there are only two.

They have been experimenting with our entertainment at night on this voyage. As I mentioned, one night our entertainment didn’t make it on board and they showed a movie. This apparently went over well and last night they cancelled the entertainment and showed a movie (The new James Bond) because of all the positive feedback they received from the first time. It was surprising to me but gotta please the people I guess! They have also been moving the nightly entertainment for the late seating around. Some nights it’s at 7 and others its at 10:30. Don’t know what they will finally leave it at, but it’s nice that they move it around in my opinion!

The guest that was left in Izmir did make it back to the ship the next day in Istanbul, so no worries there. Everyday in the capers they give you an emergency number, just make sure you take that with you into port just in case.

Have a great day!

Yes, I asked the question concerning the differences in the dining rooms. Thank you for responding. Sounds like you are enjoying yourselves. We all anticipate reading about your experiences. My co-workers tell me I am addicted to this site!:) I am! Can't wait to get my cruise underway:) Have a safe journey back home.

My co-workers tell me I am addicted to this site!:) I am!

Joning Shorty52.....

I'm addicted to it, too!!!

I now have a regular routine each morning. First I check out the Freedom's webcam. Then I come here and check out my cruise's roll call thread, and then THIS thread (what a GREAT idea blackegg had!).

every morning i go to web cam check it out, go eat breakfast get ready for work and come back and check it out again.i am so glad our kids got us a new computer for xmas with high speed.. i would have gotten greyer waiting to see all my sites. my dh thinks i'm glued to the computer...........he's right ,come on may 13th:p

We got our passports back today and I asked about the visas for other nationalities than US. They said it doesn’t matter what your nationality is your Turkish Visa is included in the price of your stateroom.

Turkish Visas

Many thanks Bekah for that. That is great news. icon7.gif Should reassure a number of people, including myself, who were getting concerned at the high costs being quoted.

Computers

I am amazed at how you manage to type up such fantastic, lengthy posts . icon5.gif Do you have your own computer on board to type them up on to a memory stick ? Do the ships computers have a usb port so you can then transfer your pretyped message with a memory stick ? Or do you have to type up on the ships computer at large expense, because you are paying the online charge you are not actually using whilst typing ? icon9.gif

Roger

Archived