***LIVE*** From the Carnival Freedom

blackegg

I didn't have any issues using ATM's overseas - we used them 4 times. We would pull out 200EU at a time and it cost us $266 on my bank statement which makes the exchange rate about $1.33=1EU. What my DH and I did was this: we didn't want to take our 'regular' debit cards into port b/c we didn't want them stolen. By regular I mean the one we pay our bills with and get paid with, ect. So we opened up a USAA account that has 10 free ATM withdrawals a month, no conversion fees, and it's a free account. So we opened that, got our new debit cards, moved over our spending money and for the Sail and Sign we used our 'regular' debit card. This way if our USAA card had been stolen, it doesn't set us back, all we have to do is cancel at the bank and not change our card # with the various people that keep it on file for bills ect. And, if it gets stolen, we have a back up (our 'regular' debit card). So, we paid no extra ATM fees on either side. If you can't open up an account with USAA, you might see if another bank offers similar options for worldwide ATM's/conversion fees.

Knitwits - you don't necessarily have to link like I did, you can just copy the website address and paste it into the reply box. If you want to link it like I did, then copy the website address, type whatever you want your link to say in the reply box, highlight the words for the link, press the world button, then paste the website address in the pop up box that appears. If you can, I'd really like to see the review that was negative of the ship. I didn't care for the decor much, but the staff, staterooms, public rooms, food, services, ect. were all very good.

I thought I remembered the laundry promotion being offered 3-4 times. Maybe I'm wrong. I know it was at least offered twice. And it was offered on port days, not sea days. I did two loads of laundry over the entire trip at $4/load for washing and drying. The laundry rooms have three washers and six dryers each, the washers wash fast. They are somewhat small, but most people were doing small loads. I would advise you bring your own soap if possible (target has a four load tide for $1 that is a small bottle), if not it was $1.25 for one load of tide or cheer and $1.25 for one load of bounce or downy fabric softener.

As for jackets, I was glad I had a light jacket. One day I wore my heavy jacket and wish I hadn't. My light jacket I wore a few days and wore a pashmina at nights on the ship as the victorianna lounge can be quite chilly. In April, I would advise you to take a light jacket, but that and a pashmina is all you should need.

Hi

Thank you Bekah Knitwhits and everyone else!!! Feel like I've been there already!!!

Another question...Where were the laundry facilities on Lido or Veranda Deck??

Also Capitol One has a free checking account with Debit card and what I believe is a rebate for other ATM Charges... I'm checking that out...

Hope this thread continues!!!!!:D Really have gotton a lot of info...Bought a travel scale today...thanks Bekah!

Bekah,

Thanks for the info on opening the USAA account. We use them for our auto insurance and were thinking of getting a prepaid credit card for our travel, but this is much better. Great idea! I've been reading your info. all the while you were on your cruise and since you've returned. Thanks again!

The laundries are located across from the following cabins:

1359, 5367, 6387, 7339, 8351 and 9270

We had cabin 8351 on our Carnival Liberty cruise Sept 2005, never again would I want to be across from the laundry room. Sure it was convenient however, people did laundry all hours of the day and night and would lean on our door, while a group would talk loud for hours on end. Not a good experience.:mad:

Bekah - thanks so much for all the great information!

We will have an overnight in Rome - which I think you did too? Did a lot of people get off the ship and spend the night in Rome? How early can we get off in the morning of the last day? I am trying to decide if we should get a room by the airport or if we would make it.

We have a 10:20am flight and I wanted to make sure we would make it.

thanks

Wow.....10:30 a.m. flight....international flights you are supposed to be there three hours before departure, which is 7:30 a.m.....factor in travel time to the airport......You're gonna have to leave early!!!

BP traveler,

Your flight will be interesting to make at 10:20am. Last year at the end of our cruise we stayed in Rome 1 night. Our flight left at 10:30 am the next morning. We had a 30 minute train ride from Rome to the airport.

We took the 7:30 am train figuring airport arrival 2 1/2 hours before flight departure was enough. Wrong!!

Once in the airport there is a huge line with security checking passports. They then send you to stand in line for your airline. The airline folks pull people out of line for a random baggage check (yes that means us).

Back to the airline desk to get boarding passes.

Next stand in line to go through security.

And tada, run to the gate to make our flight.

They then had someone checking passports again at the gate.

Then we had to take a shuttle/train thing to the tarmac. No wonder I slept on the flight.

I would be there at least 3 hours before the flight. At 1 1/2 hours travel time to the airport you'll need to leave the ship around 6:00am.

Don't say that. We have a 10:15 flight - if everyone is on the Delta one, it is leaving earlier than 10:20 now. We will be shuttled from the boat to the airport. Thats telling me we are leaving at about 5.

When we were there on the Liberty our flight was at 6:30 am so we left our hotel at Citichevia (sp) at 3:30 am for a 10 minute drive and it was still a madhouse at the airport at that time. This time we are staying at the Hitlon at the airport so it's only a walk to the terminal for a 6:20 am flight. I think you may be pushing your luck a bit.

Linda

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=528572&highlight=FREEDOM

Hopefully this'll work. Mostly it was the responses to his thread that made me feel people were being turned away from trying this cruise.

knitwits

Knitwits - Thank you for all your reviews. We are sailing this weekend and your messages have given me so much good information. I and I'm sure the others going with me appreciate your giving you time and effort. I sure hope we have as good a time on our cruise as you did on yours. Thanks again. Elawies

There is definately an elevator at the rear of the Acropolis. I saw a person in a wheelchair at the top when we were on the Freedom March 5th sailing. Of course I had to ask him how he got up there and he pointed the elevator out to me. Hope this helps you as he seemed really happy to be at the top. What a great idea they had to do this for people who are not able. Good Luck.:)

I am so pleased to read that there is an elevator to the top of the Acropolis. I was sure I wouldn't be able to walk up, but now thanks to you, I'll look for it. Elawies;)

Don't say that. We have a 10:15 flight - if everyone is on the Delta one, it is leaving earlier than 10:20 now. We will be shuttled from the boat to the airport. Thats telling me we are leaving at about 5.

WOW! Now I'm worried too. We booked through Carnival because, even though its more costly, we didn't want to have to worry about the flight stuff. They've got us on Lufthansa for a flight leaving at 10:10 a.m. I sure hope they get us off the ship early enough and get us on their shuttle in plenty of time. I also hope they would advise as to when we might expect to be called. Usually its by luggage tag color. Anybody know who we can ask on board about this? Maybe at the Pursers desk? I do remember the Rome airport in 2005. What a mess! It was the worst part of our whole trip. Doesn't sound like its improved any.

don't worry about your early flights! There was a number of people that flew out (I think they said about 500) at 9:30 on the day of disembarkation on our sailing. They met in the Victorianna at 5:45am and the went straight to the airport. John Heald didn't say you're supposed to be at the airport 3 hours before flight, he kept saying 2 hours, so they got those people there 2 hours before their flights. If you self disembark (carry your own luggage) I'm sure you can leave anytime you want and either take the train or have a hired driver take you to the airport. But Carnival will only get you there two hours beforehand. It's true that FCO is busy, but from the time we got there until the time we sat down at our terminal it took us about an hour and we sat down at a cafe and had some lunch in that time. If you are concerned about your early flight, then my advise is to take the Carnival transfer or stay at a hotel. My DH and I didn't fly out until 1:25 so we had no problem knowing we were going to make it. We self disembarked at about 9am. There were a few people we saw on our flight that took the Carnival transfer and they arrived at the airport at 9am. So, if you book the Carnival transfer, I wouldn't worry about it, they'll get you there. If it starts getting late, tell security that your plane is about to leave and they'll get you through or hold your flight.

Knitwits - thanks for posting that link to the negative review.

Elawies and everyone else sailing this weekend - have a great time can't wait to hear about your experiences!

I think it depends wether you are on an international flight at the airport. Our flight left at 10:15 our experience : we left our hotel in Citivechia at 7 am and arrived at terminal b at 7:40. Checked in at Lufthansa for Frankfurt and had our boarding passes by 8 . Went upstairs for coffee and then made our way through security and to our gate. Arrived at the gate at 9 and sat and waited for our 10:15 departure. Arrived in Frankfurt with a 2 hour connection time. Long walk to our new gate with a line to get our passports stamped Arrived at the Air Canada gate with an hour to spare for our Frankfurt departure.

Don't worry about a 10 a.m. departure. Our flight in 2005 was at 7:30 a.m.!!! We left our hotel at 5 and would have had plenty of time except for problems with the Alitalia counter, who had one person to check in a line as far as the eye could see. Our friends who took Delta had absolutely no problem for their 7:30 a.m. flight - checked in quickly and waited for their flight. I have heard that the earlier the flight is in the morning, the longer the lines. 10:00 is outside the window of really early flights and I heard that things were more "normal" later in the morning.

Also... if the cruiseline is booking your transportation and flight, I suspect they have a good handle on it.

What.....Italy to Germany isn't international??

I never get any of these memos...15.gif

I think going from one EU country to another is not considered international as you don't have to go through customs and immigration

Everyone on the next Freedom sailing: Bon Voyage!

SharonSorlie: Have you looked at the "Europe" port board here? Tons of helpful info on private guides in Ephesus.

Thanks to everyone who continues to post such helpful information here!

Archived