Venice gondolas

Hi All

We are travelling in late July just wondering what you recommend re the gondola rides, is this something that should be prebooked, or are there usually plenty around, or should you book through the cruise ship.

Your comments would be appreciated

thanks

Did a gondola ride yesterday.

There is no need to book unless you want something special such as a serenaded trip, which can be booked through a tour company. There are Gondoliers at every bridge touting for business. We paid 80 euros for two of us for about 45 minutes, and worth every cent. We tried to bargain but he pulled out a laminated card with "Official" rates, which appear to be fairly general. I don't know whether you would pay extra for more people. However, if you get offered a cheaper price, check to make sure you get a full trip, it might only be twenty or thirty minutes, which isn't very long for what would probably be the highlight of your trip.

Paul S

We found that by walking around the smaller inlets near the Rialto bridge you could find one cheaper and they would negotiate a little..better priced than near St Marks..

This is the way to go. Get away from the crowded areas (St. Marks), negotiate price, time and route prior to getting in. If they won't negotiate, move on, but do pay a fair price. The gondoliers are there to make a living too.

We will be staying right by the 'Ferrovia' Vaporetto stop. We thought we might hire a Gondola from there right down the canal to St Marks (3 of us). I believe this would take about 45 mins. Has anyone done this and is this a good estimate of the time it would take?

A couple of things about being serenaded. Most cruise ships offer a Gondola Tour which they say includes being serenaded. What they do is cram 4-6 into each gondola and than have a group of gondolas go together through the canals with one gondola having a "singer." Does this sound romantic? Do yourselves a favor and simply hire your own gondola. If you want to be serenaded you can try to ask if any of them will sing (amazing what you can get for money). Before you get on the gondola, stop at a local wine shop and buy yourself a nice bottle of Italian wine and have them pull the cork. Most of the gondolas have plastic cups, but either buy your own or make sure before you get into the boat. And yes, they do have rate cards but everything is still negotiable depending on supply and demand.

Hank

Before I went to Venice last year, I swore I would not waste my money doing something as touristy as a gondola ride.

Famous last words!!! We were walking around - about 5 minutes walk away from Piazza San Marco and a man came up to us and asked us if we wanted to go. It was me and my mom (how romantic!) and another couple that we met on our cruise. It was 80 euros for 45 minutes so we all looked at each other and we all said we wanted to go. It was so nice - so peaceful and quiet in the back canals. I loved every minute of it....so much for not doing touristy gondola rides!!!

I would agree with all the other posters - do not book it through the ship - just find a guy you like on your own and enjoy!!!

Lynn

Archived