Costa Rica Cancelled!

Andiamo39

I just got off the 2/19 sailing of Celebrity's Constellation. We were due to dock in Limon on 2/26 but the captain diverted the ship to Mexico citing safety reasons. I was really angry at Celebrity but the concierge on the Constellation said that ALL the cruise lines had cancelled Costa Rica for the remainder of the season. Now I'm thinking that this is a bunch of BS. Was I on the only ship who did not get to dock in Costa Rica?

It a bunch of BS. You should not have been told ALL cruise line have cancelled this stop. Hal NEVER announced any cancellations.

Carnival did cancel all their stops, but this only lasted a couple of days after the incident and they put it back on their schedule.

22 February the robbery was escalated, so it was maybe a good decision to skip this place for a short time. All cruiselines visit Puerto Limon again.

Which port did you visit instead of Puerto Limon?

22 February the robbery was escalated, so it was maybe a good decision to skip this place for a short time. All cruiselines visit Puerto Limon again.

Which port did you visit instead of Puerto Limon?

We went to Play Carmen which is 25 minutes from Cozumel where we docked the next day. At first I was furious at spending essentially 2 days docked at Cozumel but Playa Carmen is actually quite different from Cozumel and I surprisingly enjoyed my time there. Would still rather have gone to Costa Rica though.

Actually the incident with the van was not the first issue the cruise lines have had with crime in Limon. A passenger was shot in Dec also and I would guess that there have been other incidents.

However, it really is too bad because Costa Rica is a beautiful country and most of the people there are friendly. We've been there 3 times on cruise ships and have enjoyed all our visits.

We went to Play Carmen which is 25 minutes from Cozumel where we docked the next day. At first I was furious at spending essentially 2 days docked at Cozumel but Playa Carmen is actually quite different from Cozumel and I surprisingly enjoyed my time there. Would still rather have gone to Costa Rica though.

Hi Andi! We were on the 2/19 Constellation with you and were also very disappointed about the decision to skip Puerto Limon. Unfortunate timing seeing as other ships are now calling there and the police have now upped security for cruise ship passengers.

We had booked with the Browns and I was thinking that would most likely be the highlight of our trip.

It was kind of ironic for Canadian cruisers that the ship then decided to dock in Playa del Carmen Mexico where the investigation into the brutal murder of two Canadians near there is still in the news and the Canadian Government has been advising caution when traveling in Mexico following a spate of several other suspicious Canadian tourist deaths!

But like you we were pleasantly surprised after all by this colorful little town and had an enjoyable beach day. You just have to roll with the punches (hopefully not literally though!) when vacationing!

We are going to Limon on our April cruise. I recently read that there have been some really bad things happening to passengers in Limon. Robberies, muggings, shootings. I hope our line Holland, has the same thoughts. We were on The Constellation in November. It was our favorite ship so far. 5 cruises under our belt, more to come. Bob

We are going to Limon on our April cruise. I recently read that there have been some really bad things happening to passengers in Limon. Robberies, muggings, shootings. I hope our line Holland, has the same thoughts. We were on The Constellation in November. It was our favorite ship so far. 5 cruises under our belt, more to come. Bob

There were two incidents in the last 6 months, it is ridiculous to cancel a port because of them. If they cancel this, then you better also cancel anything out of Miami, NYC, New Orleans and many others because I live near NYC and there are many incidents EVERY DAY.

Sue is correct. Why make a big deal out of an incident and cancel a stop ? I think it is ridiculous. Carnival did come to it's senses and will still be going to Limon

All cities have crime, Ft.Lauderdale, Miami, NO, NYC and the ships all leave from these ports. I would like to bet the crime in these ports are much, much higher.

Look at Puerta Rica. There is lots of crime there. St.Thomas is not so hot either, especially at night. Then there is Jamaica. Need I say more ?

• 3 weeks later...

You are right, gizmo, Sue and Sheik...there is probably more crime overall in MIA or FLL than in Costa Rica, and you don't see ships diverting from these ports to Tampa...

Costa Rica is our favorite country to visit, and we have been there 3 times on land vacations and once by cruise ship...we even brought our children there when they were infants. I would have been very upset by this decision as well!

Archived