Fantasy Only Questions ...

canner2u

I'm just happy the the ships are docking again in Cozumel. Last year, like a previous poster said, we lost precious shore time tendering off the Holiday. Only ended up with about 4 or 5 hours of port time and then it rain 75% of that.

Oh well, I usually enjoy the ship just as much!

I'm just happy the the ships are docking again in Cozumel. Last year, like a previous poster said, we lost precious shore time tendering off the Holiday. Only ended up with about 4 or 5 hours of port time and then it rain 75% of that.

Oh well, I usually enjoy the ship just as much!

I must have the magic touch. Usually I am on shore 30 minutes from the time tendering starts. Of course, it helps to be in front of the line when tender tickets are handed out. (I dont have that problem anymore being Platinum, just show the card).

Until the Puerta Maya pier is completed, it will be hit and miss as to what pier. Usually it is the Punta Langosta unless it is being worked on. If too many ships are in port, it is back to tendering. I would gladly be on the Holiday anytime with 1500 passengers than 2500 trying to get off the Fantasy.

Dave

We tendered in last year off of the Holiday...what a pain...we lost 2 1/2 precious port hours just tendering back and forth.

Okay, I am still new to this stuff, does tendering mean that you have to take another boat to the pier from the cruise ship?? Thanks for helping me in my ignorance.....

:p

Okay, I am still new to this stuff, does tendering mean that you have to take another boat to the pier from the cruise ship?? Thanks for helping me in my ignorance.....

:p

Yes, you get into a smaller boat to get to the pier because there are usually too many ships in port that day for all of them to have a space at the pier. We were in line early to get tendering tickets and still had to wait and wait and wait for our tickets to be called...I am sure that is not always the case as Dave said...it was just the way it was for us. I am excited to know that we get to dock on this cruise, regardless of which pier it is. :D

Thanks Rodeo!! I thought that was what it was from what I was reading, but just thought I would ask. Have fun on your trip, I am very jealous!! I would love to be going back NOW, but I guess will have to wait until March.....hehe:)

nolalover...if you book a ship sponsored shore excursion for any port that is tendered, you will be one of the first ones off the ship. The ship will make sure you make your shore tour. Others that book their own shore tour with someone at that port is faced with two challenges.

One they must attempt to get early tender boarding passes so they make their shore tour in the first place.

Second if something happens and the tour gets back to the pier late, the ship will sail without them. A ship sponsored tour will be given some leeway about getting back aboard.

By booking your own tour it is usually cheaper than a ship sponsored tour, but I find the ship's tour benefits to outweigh the added expense. But that may be, 'just me'? :)

Don

good to know airdale, I haven't done any excursions yet, we just did our own thing when we were in cozumel this month, have no clue what we are doing in March when we are back, but I will keep that helpful info in mind!! :D

Has anyone gone on the Fantasy over the Thanksgiving holiday before? I was wondering if the ship is decorated for Christmas at that early date? We are going on a 3 day cruise to Cozumel. Thanks.....

3 day?????????????? The Fantasy only does a 4-day and 5-day cruise.

When I was on the Fantasy Nov 27, it was decorated for Christmas not sure about over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Dave

One thing that we loved about the Fantasy (versus the other two CCL ships we sailed on over the 4th) was that the staff did a fantastic job celebrating Independence Day.

They had fun activities like face painting, US trivia, apple pie and ice cream eating, etc. all day on the Lido Deck. Every where we went, waiters, stewards, bar tenders, etc told us "Happy 4th"

I bet they try to make Thanksgiving special. This ship is wonderful!!! Have fun.:)

We will be cruising of the Fantasy Aug 20th, this is our first Carnival Cruise. We have cruised with Disney, NCL & RC previously & are very much looking forward to this one.

This will be my sister & niece's first cruise & they are a little nervous about motion sickness. I have (thankfully) never experienced this & would appreciate any hints you cruisers could offer ie: patches vs. bracelets. Can they be purchased in a drug store or do you need a RX, can you get them on the ship?

My son, 12 will be with us, does Fantasy have a camp for his age? Does anyone know what activities they might have?

Any suggestions for beach days while in port in Costa Maya & Cozumel with the kids? Should we have any concerns of 2 women with 2 children?

Thank you for your feedback,

Rhonda

This will be my sister & niece's first cruise & they are a little nervous about motion sickness. I have (thankfully) never experienced this & would appreciate any hints you cruisers could offer ie: patches vs. bracelets. Can they be purchased in a drug store or do you need a RX, can you get them on the ship?

Rhonda

My daughter is prone to getting car sick so before our first cruise we started about 2 days before our cruise and she took bonine twice a day, her system adjusted in a day or two and she was not sleepy any more and she continued to take them morning and night during the cruise and never experienced any motion sickness on the ship or on the way home. :D We intend to do this again in August for our trip on the Fantasy, we will be getting on when you are getting off. ;)

We will be cruising of the Fantasy Aug 20th, this is our first Carnival Cruise. We have cruised with Disney, NCL & RC previously & are very much looking forward to this one.

My son, 12 will be with us, does Fantasy have a camp for his age? Does anyone know what activities they might have?

Any suggestions for beach days while in port in Costa Maya & Cozumel with the kids? Should we have any concerns of 2 women with 2 children?

Thank you for your feedback,

Rhonda

Yes, Carnival has Camp Carnival for ages 2 - 17 broken down into different age groups. He will be in the 12 - 14 age group. They will have activities all over the ship. On embarkation night, there will be an orientation where you fill out a sheet of paper (allergies etc) and you will receive a Caper that will list the activities, time and place for the entire cruise. (Adults Capers are daily). We usually get 2 copies. One for the boys to carry around and one we leave in the cabin so that we can go back and look to see where they are.

Cozumel is probably the BEST tourist friendly port there is. No worries. There is a lot you can do without using a ship excursion.

There are 2 "free" (no entrance fee) beach clubs that we have been to. Mr. Sanchos (already mentioned) and Paradise Beach. Neither one charge for lounge chairs, tables, umbrellas or restrooms. You just walk up, sit down and start enjoying life. Both expect you to eat/drink while you are there....naturally.

Paradise Beach offers an optional wristband that is $9 a person. It includes the use of all non-motorized toys. (2 water trampolines, iceberg, kayaks, snorkleing and floats ~ and life vests for those who need them) There will be a deposit required to use "equipment" but that is returned in full when the equipment is returned. Again, this is optional. You will see an attendant selling them when you walk in. Our 2 boys always get them...hubby and I do not. (we are shade people) Tom, the manager, is from Canada and a super guy. He and his staff run a great outfit.

The last time we were at Mr. Sanchos, I believe the water trampoline was $4 for 2 hours.

Paradise Beach also has independent vendors that offer anything from banana boat rides to jet skis. They have wonderful massages for $30 for 30 minutes. Paradise Beach also has free internet at the bar.

Both are about $15 one way for a taxi of 4 people. Don't worry about getting a taxi to come back. There are more taxis than sand in Cozumel. In fact, Paradise Beach has a "rest stop" for the drivers to wait for return fares.

We are headed back for the 4th time since October in August...just before y'all.

Usually what we do is spend the morning at Paradise Beach (August can get HOT) while it is cool. Then, we had back to the ship (which should be docked and not tendered if the dock fairies are with you this trip) drop our stuff (change clothes if needed) and spend some time in town shopping.

Food and drinks in Cozumel at restaurants and beach resorts is very safe!

Costa Maya is a little different. We were there in October and did not leave the port area. The port has a lot for you to do. There is a huge salt water pool for the kids to swim in while enjoying a cold drink. Lots of shops. There is no beach right in this port area due to the strong currents and rocks.

If you want to go "into town"... our tablemates said they rode a bus that cost $3 per person one way. It was a short ride and was fine. "Town" is a beach village with a beach road. Not as developed as Cozumel. Lots of people talk about hanging out at the Cat's Meow. It is owned by a Canadian lady ( I can't remember her name). Food and drinks there are safe.

The main complaint I have heard is vendors bugging you to buy stuff in town.

We did not experience that in the port area. Still safe, just a hassle. From what our tablemates told us, the Cat's Meow kinda watchs out and stops as much of that as they can.

You will definately dock in Costa Maya. Be prepared because SOMETIMES (if the waves are to rough) you will miss that port. There will be a free tram that will ride you to the end of the pier.

In Cozumel, if you dock at Punta Langosta (Carlos and Charlies will be at the end of the pier across the street) you can turn left at the end of the pier and walk the downtown area without a problem. If you dock at International Pier...then it will be a $6 taxi ride (one way for 4) to the downtown area.

If you really like to party, there are some beach resorts that are all inclusives that usually run $40 - 50 a person. This includes all food and drink.

Do not worry about crowds. This time of year, there are usually less than 3 ships in port (including the Fantasy). So none of the beach clubs are going to be crowded. When we go in August, there are only going to be 2 ships total in port. Our cruise is scheduled to arrive at 7am. I know that seems early...but on a hot August day...you will appreciate the early morning time.

You can go to http://www.cruisecal.com to see a calendar of how many ships are in port that day.

Have a great cruise.

I am going on my first Fantasy cruise for NYE. I am so excited about it. My friend lives in NO and I am looking forward to that visit and cruising again with her.

Try to eat at Gumbo Shop while in NOLA - great food, great prices, just don't have their dessert - save room for beignets later on!

I am going on my first Fantasy cruise for NYE. I am so excited about it. My friend lives in NO and I am looking forward to that visit and cruising again with her.

Jsme-come on over to the NYE Fantasy cruise on the rollcall boards. There are several of us going.

Jsme-come on over to the NYE Fantasy cruise on the rollcall boards. There are several of us going.

I have a thread started over there already. Are you posting on the same thread I am posting on? lol I bet you are now that I think about it. lol

We're sailing Saturday and I've been reading that it's good to arrive at the dock around 11-11:30, but my ticket packet says embarkation begins at 1:30. So.. which is it? Anyone gone recently?

thanks!

Deanna

We're sailing Saturday and I've been reading that it's good to arrive at the dock around 11-11:30, but my ticket packet says embarkation begins at 1:30. So.. which is it? Anyone gone recently?

thanks!

Deanna

hi deanna...we got there around noon time and got on the ship...you're room may not be ready until 1:30 but it's fun to walk around, get a nice drink, and start your vacation...enjoy...it's a great trip

With children....we loved Mr. Sancho's in Cozumel. Its quiet and they have a jumping thing (sorry foe the lingo) for children and kids. We are going back in January.

we did mr sanchos this june and the jump thing was not there but the kids still had a wonderful time...no crowd! love it there...good food, nice shopping, nice cold drinks, will will go there again....

thanks!

Deanna

We have sailed out of New Orleans many times. Generally we arrive around 11am and are usually on the ship by noon. The cabins open up at 1:30pm, so we just find a place to relax, have some lunch and enjoy the ship until then.

But I always do caution that while this is the scenerio 90% of the time, Custom and Immigration can put a bug in the mix and delay boarding until the printed time. So I tell folks to eat a large late breakfast....just in case you are not eating lunch until the posted time of 1:30pm.

Have a great cruise!!

Archived