NCL - UK Customers

dalyn

I am wondering if there are any UK based NCL customers who have received on board credits, up-grades or up-sells? We are first time cruisers going with NCL next month. On these boards I have seen many threads with regards to customers receiving credits, up-grades and up-sells but they all seem to be USA based posters. Is this something they offer to us based in the UK? and if so how do I go about seeing if we are entitled to something? On the roll call for our cruise they are many that have received these "bonuses" because the cruise is now selling for less than at the time they booked. Any comments or help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the world of inequality amongst cruise passengers :D

I'll start by saying that it's not just NCL who treat UK based passengers differently to those from the US/Canada (in particular), it appears to be the case with all the major US-based cruise lines.

NCL UK does NOT offer upsells to their passengers - we were on the Pearl's Transatlantic and several of us contacted NCL in London. I was told that "it must be something new that Miami are trying out". It's not - it's been going for ages.

You can pay for an upgraded cabin - you just pay the difference in price between what you paid and what the cabin costs (this is the same wherever you are based).

There are also differences in how you pay for your cruise - in the UK we pay a smaller deposit than you do in the US but our deposit is non-refundable from the moment it is paid. In the US it is totally refundable up until final payment (which is about a month earlier than our final payment).

There can be differences in pricing for a cruise (ignoring exchange rate fluctuations) - usually cheaper booking in the US but not always - ask Shoreguy about the Pearl's Transatlantic pricing!!

I haven't noticed the UK prices reducing on any of our cruises so don't know if you would be able to get the reduced fair or an onboard credit for this.

We have received an onboard credit (and it was there when we sailed!). This was given to us by NCL UK but was in relation to a problem we had encountered (all solved to our satisfaction, and more).

In the US you can put a "hold" on a cabin for a day or two - you can't in the UK - if you don't put a deposit down you don't get the cabin.

You get my drift . . .

BUT - we've now booked our FIFTH cruise - all with NCL. We love cruising and we love NCL's product.

Thanks for your reply Calmac, it just seemed that we were missing out on something . . . but perhaps not!! Anyway, we are really looking forward to our upcoming first cruise. We are going on the Pearl also - Southern Caribbean, 13th April. Thanks again for the info. Lyn.

Calmac summed it up perfectly! A very raw deal, but, equally it won't stop us cruising.

I did almost fall of my chair last week when I received a UK NCL brochure offering USD$300 in on board credits if you booked one of their advertised deals!! Let's hope this trend continues.:rolleyes:

Myself I have learned to play the system and now book all my cruises through US TA's. The pleasure of cancelling and switching to another cruise line and getting my deposit posted back to my account within 24hrs was pure delight;)

I still dream of a call from the upgrade fairy - that hasn't happened yet. Maybe their system just doesn't like the word England on my home address. Perhaps they'd find me if it said New England:p

I still dream of a call from the upgrade fairy - that hasn't happened yet. Maybe their system just doesn't like the word England on my home address. Perhaps they'd find me if it said New England:p

Good idea - I'll change my address to Nova Scotia :D

Lyn - when you board the Pearl forget about any inconsistencies and enjoy your cruise. We loved the ship, even after sailing through a hurricane or two!

Us Ozzies suffer the same fate as you POMS. We also miss out on prior recognition of sailing on Princess so we are can never get to Platinium status with the free internet etc. The list goes on but equally that doesn't stop us from cruising but I do feel a little cheesed off at times. Mummsie

• 4 weeks later...

We had the same problem booking in the UK. We are also sailing the Pearl but on 14 December, this is a 9 day cruise. We got a good price here in the UK including direct airfares, free airport parking, one night accommodation in Miami and a small amount of onboard credit. However we did think about doing a back to back cruise and adding on the other 5 days and when we priced this they wanted the same amount of money for the 5 day as we paid for the 9 day cruise which included the fares etc which is absolutely outrageous. We booked the 9 day here in the UK and then got a price for the 5 day from TA in the States which could have saved us $2000 for the two of us. We have now decided to ditch the 5 day on the Pearl and will be doing a 7 day, same ports on another cruise line booked directly with a TA in the States.

With reference to the other point made about upsells etc in the UK, I phoned NCL UK directly to ask them and I got a rather rude man tell me quite arrogantly if I wanted it I had to pay for it!!

Archived