Are passports required for Belize?

mswolffan

I just read a report published by BelizeTourism.net that stated that anyone visiting Belize was required to have a passport? Is this true? I have mine, but the others traveling with me don't - and that's a $85 fee. Just wanted to make sure before they have to get one then find out it's not required. Hope someone can help me out here.

We sailed the Dream out of New Orleans last Christmas and went to Belize. I don't remember anything about needing a passport, but then again, we always take ours when we travel. I do know that we did NOT take them with us when we went ashore - snorkeling the beautiful waters on Christmas day :-)

Ed

Guest nhrich

Passports are not required for cruise passengers in Belize; however, if you are unfortunate enough to miss the last tender, that's another story.

Rich

Carefree Vacations

DH and I take our passports with us on every cruise and alays have them on our person when off the ship in foreign ports. Lived two years in W. Berlin back in the late 60s and have traveled to Europe four times since. Our motto has always been, ``Don't leave home without it.''

Birth certificates and photo IDs are normally accepted at most Caribbean ports. However, a passport ID is a universal ID that says you are who you are. Purchased our current passports in March, 1996 for about $60 each at the time, I believe. We have to renew them in Feb., 2006. We cringed at the cost at the time but know now the price was well worth it and the cost of renewing them will be worth their weight in gold as well. With the world situation as it is today, one never knows what political move can erupt in another country or if another 911 call may come to our own shores while we are outside the country.

We have found our passports to be good identity when flying inside the U.S. as well as outside the country. TSA's enjoy looking at our eight-year-old photos. In fact, one TSA we see regularly at our hometown airport likes to look at them and chuckle saying something like, ``Bet you can't wait to renew these and get a new picture.'' :D

Thanks for the replies. I was surprised that this article stated that passports were required when I hadn't seen it anywhere else. I personally feel better with my passport but the other gals didn't want to spend the money. I know what you mean about the world situation. I remember after 9/11 when the airlines were grounded a lot of people got stranded in ports I think some of the cruise lines were taking people back as long as they had passports -- the birth certificates wouldn't do it.

Archived