Quick! To Bermuda with Expired Passport - OK?

Please help! We're going in 2 months to Bermuda and my passport expires 10 days before the cruise! The US department of state website says: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

you can travel by expired passport. Is that true? What if something happens and I need to fly back to US? For air travel, you NEED a valid passport since Jan, 07.

For those who renewed their passports, can I do this at the postal office or only mail in? I'd rather give the passport, the fee and pictures than mail them out - to get the quick processing.

I would assume since passports are not required to cruise right now that an expired one would be ok, but if I were you I would take my birth certificate too!! Many poster have been complaining about the length of time passports are taking right now, so either expedite it or bring the bc and do it as soon as you get back. There are systems in place if you had to fly back so don't stress about that too much.

If using the passport for ID with the cruise line, beware that some cruiselines require passport to be good for 60+ days after the cruise. So I would recommend calling customer service and get a valid answer.

Don't know about Bermuda..... but we took 3 (land) trips to the Bahamas last year and THEY require a valid passport.

Has nothing to do with the US requirements.

So you need to take into consideration when travelling the laws and requirements of the country YOU ARE GOING TO and not just what the USA requires to get back in :D

I just paid for the expedited service described on the government site. I sent my renewal paperwork by overnight delivery on Feb 22 and I rcv'd my new passport this morning! I did call the agency and they tood me that it may take 3-4 weeks for even expedited service but I was pretty surprised to get it already:D

I never went to the post office, I printed the renewal paperwork from the internet and sent it by DHL from my office!

Good Luck!

I just paid for the expedited service described on the government site. I sent my renewal paperwork by overnight delivery on Feb 22 and I rcv'd my new passport this morning! I did call the agency and they tood me that it may take 3-4 weeks for even expedited service but I was pretty surprised to get it already:D

I never went to the post office, I printed the renewal paperwork from the internet and sent it by DHL from my office!

Good Luck!

thanks for the info!

can you please tell me if you provided an overnight return envelope and also, was the passpost the new type with the chip?

Please help! We're going in 2 months to Bermuda and my passport expires 10 days before the cruise! The US department of state website says: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

you can travel by expired passport. Is that true? What if something happens and I need to fly back to US? For air travel, you NEED a valid passport since Jan, 07.

For those who renewed their passports, can I do this at the postal office or only mail in? I'd rather give the passport, the fee and pictures than mail them out - to get the quick processing.

A valid passport is only going to become more essential as time goes on. Use the May trip as the justification for expedited service and get it done now -- then relax for the next ten years.

Guest scfjjb
If using the passport for ID with the cruise line, beware that some cruiselines require passport to be good for 60+ days after the cruise. So I would recommend calling customer service and get a valid answer.

I agree - Princess and Carnival require that your passport be valid for six MONTHS after your cruise date.:eek:

UPDATE

after everyone's comments I decided it's best to renew the passport.

pretty easy, i did the renewal at the post office, they take your picture, take your current passport and help put everything together with the application. I got expedited service, should have the new passport in less than a month.

Archived