Walkie Talkies At Sea

wimberleydlc

We use them all the time w/ our 11 and 15 year old. Will be using them again in April. I also have them check in physically every other hour just to see them. Just make sure you are all on the same channell;)

Some models will work and others do not. Also, keep them in vibrate mode rather than beeping---that can be extremely disturbing. You might also find a lot of static from the ship's systems and then there's the chance that you'll find too many others using the same frequency. Also be aware that using them off the ship can cause some legal problems for you. Many countries don't allow the use of them and you could find yourself in some legal troubles if you're found using them and you're in a country where it's illegal. Never use them for just chatting and never use them in the dining room or show lounges. I know that this might seem harsh, but there are some very rude people out there who don't realize they aren't the only ones on a ship. I've sat next to people at the shows who were barking into those stupid things and have been next to tables at dinner when people would pull them out just to chat to friends during dinner.

Can anyone tell me if walkie talkies work at sea? Would like to keep up w/ my 17 yr old.

Thanks for any help.

My DH and I use them. If I am out laying by the pool and he is looking for me I can tell him where I am.. or not... Or if he is up at the buffet, he can tell me what they are serving and bring me something while I am still in the cabin pulling myself together. We found them useful.

People using walkie talkies on cruise ships are a pet peeve of mine. We had a balcony room on the Crystal Harmony. The guy next to us had one and used it often to keep up with his friends and family who all had sets. He yelled into his from his balcony as it wouldn't work within his room.

We were in the British isles and Norway. Finally a ship's office told him that using them was illegal in both places. That didn't stop him and his bunch. We heard them all over the ship.

It may be where they got the idea for that tv commercial as he was always yelling 'can you hear me now?'

Amazing that you get an opinion about using walkie-talkies versus an answer. All have claims of noise while on deck, and with the constant noise level being above most volumes of walkie-talkies I question the complaints.

I've had cell phones, cigarettes, bad perfume, bad language and rude people tick me off more than someone talking to a family member via walkie-talkie.

Simple one: Yes, they work incredibly well based on two things.

First, they must be FMRS/GMRS capable and have the sub channels. These require a FCC permit to operate, are a little more expensive than the FMRS ones and vary in quality.

The permit can be purchased online at the FCC website. Note, the permit does not give you permission to operate them in foreign countries. Some countries have commercial and public communications on the same frequencies.

I own three pairs of the Motorola brand, and we've bought them based on cruises, use at church and other home needs. Cannot imagine not cruising without a pair of them.

We like the ones that come with the drop-in charger, use the NMHI batteries and can us alkaline batteries in an emergency.

A good set should cost around $80. The claims for miles/distance of use are almost funny. We have little problems from lido deck to cabin and this allows us to keep tabs when one of us takes a nap, heads to shop, bingo, etc.

The vibrate feature is a nice one, as you can have the unit in your pocket and then answer the call in private.

Now for the cool factor; your kid is 17. My daughter is the same age. She dosen't carry the radio with her when she explores on her own. On the days at sea we all run together and she stakes out a chair for her and her mother while my wife goes to the cabin to get the towels and books. Works great for that activity.

I'd suggest you have your child find you periodically. That'd be a little more "cool" for a teenager verus carrying a radio around. Trust me, your kid will do fine aboard a ship if he does well at home.

We've sailed 13 or 14 cruises since my daughter was a small kid and we've allowed her some freedoms since she was about 14. The night activites for kids are great, and we go as a family to the evening shows.

On our most recent cruise we used them when the "guys" went back to the ship while the "gals" shopped in Costa Maya. They worked well.

So... while others tell you about their bad experiences with them I can share they work well aboard the ship.

Was in your area over the weekend. My daughter ran at the track meet at Texas State. Bring me a pie from the Wimberly Pie company if you are driving to Galveston!

Amazing that you get an opinion about using walkie-talkies versus an answer. All have claims of noise while on deck, and with the constant noise level being above most volumes of walkie-talkies I question the complaints.

I've had cell phones, cigarettes, bad perfume, bad language and rude people tick me off more than someone talking to a family member via walkie-talkie.

Simple one: Yes, they work incredibly well based on two things.

First, they must be FMRS/GMRS capable and have the sub channels. These require a FCC permit to operate, are a little more expensive than the FMRS ones and vary in quality.

The permit can be purchased online at the FCC website. Note, the permit does not give you permission to operate them in foreign countries. Some countries have commercial and public communications on the same frequencies.

I own three pairs of the Motorola brand, and we've bought them based on cruises, use at church and other home needs. Cannot imagine not cruising without a pair of them.

We like the ones that come with the drop-in charger, use the NMHI batteries and can us alkaline batteries in an emergency.

A good set should cost around $80. The claims for miles/distance of use are almost funny. We have little problems from lido deck to cabin and this allows us to keep tabs when one of us takes a nap, heads to shop, bingo, etc.

The vibrate feature is a nice one, as you can have the unit in your pocket and then answer the call in private.

Now for the cool factor; your kid is 17. My daughter is the same age. She dosen't carry the radio with her when she explores on her own. On the days at sea we all run together and she stakes out a chair for her and her mother while my wife goes to the cabin to get the towels and books. Works great for that activity.

I'd suggest you have your child find you periodically. That'd be a little more "cool" for a teenager verus carrying a radio around. Trust me, your kid will do fine aboard a ship if he does well at home.

We've sailed 13 or 14 cruises since my daughter was a small kid and we've allowed her some freedoms since she was about 14. The night activites for kids are great, and we go as a family to the evening shows.

On our most recent cruise we used them when the "guys" went back to the ship while the "gals" shopped in Costa Maya. They worked well.

So... while others tell you about their bad experiences with them I can share they work well aboard the ship.

Was in your area over the weekend. My daughter ran at the track meet at Texas State. Bring me a pie from the Wimberly Pie company if you are driving to Galveston!

Well said.. I can't believe the times I have been blasted by just answering a question. It is almost like people sit around all day searching the boards just waiting to respond with a negative comment rather than an answer.

I am 52 years old and I think I can responsibly operate and use a Walkie Talkie..

Best Regards!

Just to correct a few things. There are two types of short distance radios available in the US. The first being FRS which do not require a license of any kind and will work perfectly fine aboard a cruise ship and on US, Mexican, Canadian, and most S. American lands.

The second type available are FRS and GMRS which are more powerful and require a license only for operation of the GMRS frequencies. These will work even better than just FRS on a cruise ship but are more restrictive in other countries. Mexico for example does not allow these dual channel radios. Once in international waters, you of course can operate the GMRS frequencies without a license.

The distance claims are based on unobstructed line of sight. So if it says 2 miles, that means you will get 2 miles on a perfectly flat stretch of land with no trees, bushes, or rocks between you. Otherwise you are limited by what is between you, so if you are 10 decks apart on opposite ends of the ship the FRS radio stands little chance of working. GMRS will do better as they are twice as powerful, but still will have many dead spots on a large ship.

Well, if everyone can use and properly operate a walkie talkie on a ship, there wouldn't be a problem with them, would there? Unfortunately, for every responsible person, like yourself, who uses a W/T, there are 10 who do not, and need to be reminded how to be respectful of everyone else around them. Too many times, those W/T's are used by kids and adults in very disrespectful ways, and I don't mean by the loud pool, but in the dining room and show lounge---during shows.

Oh and by the way, I don't troll the boards looking to flame posters. These boards are an open forum and are used to express opinions and first person experiences with ALL aspects of cruising. Just because someone disagrees with what you choose to do on a cruise, doesn't make them a troll. And I did answer the OP, to the best of my knowledge.

I just wonder, how did everyone get along on ships before W/T's were invented? I don't think anyone has misplaced anyone or missed what was being served in the dining room before W/T's came into vogue.

Just to correct a few things. There are two types of short distance radios available in the US. The first being FRS which do not require a license of any kind and will work perfectly fine aboard a cruise ship and on US, Mexican, Canadian, and most S. American lands.

GMRS will do better as they are twice as powerful, but still will have many dead spots on a large ship.

We gave up with the FMRS radios and their low power, lack of channels and poor reception. Our friends experiences with them have confirmed they are useless aboard a ship and around structure.

GMRS radios have not failed us yet, and with more channels and sub channels we have no problems with privacy and noise.

I am amused that the cruise lines sell them in the gift shop.

I don't go around looking for people to flame either. We sometimes used WT's at home, but nowdays are more likely to use our cell phones.

When the ships' officers told our loud neighbor that using his WT's in Britain and Norway was against the law, that should have been enough to put them away for a few days. That family didn't.

That's rude and mean spirited.

We have had a lot of laughs overhearing WT and cell phone users at sea. Don't they know that we CAN hear them?

Archived