Skating on Mariner

I've been on Mariner once before, but didn't investigate this issue very closely: The advanced skating sessions require that you have your own skates and demonstrate a certain level of ability. How good exactly do you have to be to use the ice at that time?

When I was on Adventure, it seems I was the only on the ship that brought my own skates so I had the rink all to myself.

I think what they're looking for is some proficiency so that if you're sharing the ice with somebody else doing jumps and spins, you don't get in each other's way. Worst case scenario would be that you're still in a learning phase and unable to "steer" clear.

What level are you? Have you tested?

Snowball: There is no fee to use their skates.

The only distinction they make in their sessions are the "Advanced" ones. Again, those are for people that have their own skates or 'demonstrate a proficiency.' But, that's all relative. I don't think the advanced sessions are restricted to the Olympians that are cruising.:D

There are far fewer "advanced" sessions as opposed to 'open' skating.

When I was on Adventure, it seems I was the only on the ship that brought my own skates so I had the rink all to myself.

I think what they're looking for is some proficiency so that if you're sharing the ice with somebody else doing jumps and spins, you don't get in each other's way. Worst case scenario would be that you're still in a learning phase and unable to "steer" clear.

What level are you? Have you tested?

I took lessons when I was younger and just recently started skating again. I'm comfortable on skates, can do backwards and forward crossovers and a bit of edgework, but I haven't tried any jumps or anything because I've been on rentals...still looking for good skates to buy, but can't find any in our area that are appropriate for anyone but absolute beginners. I'm hoping to find some and have time to break them in before our June 3 cruise though!

i heard the ice rink was pretty cool but kind of smal

It is really small, but it's not as bad as you think, and no different, really, than a temporary outdoor rink you might find in a park or at a mall at Christmastime. It gets crowded at times and there oftentimes are those punk kids that think they have the run of it, but the staff does a pretty good job of supervising and if you're renting skates, they're kept in great condition...far better than at a local ice rink!

It is a very small rink and they only had 2 advanced sessions at 9am! (way to early to be up and ready on vacation) but I skated during the teen session and it was good quality ice, but the open skating times have too many people for doing anything fancy.

If they can mange to get doubles and triples out there, it's not that small.:)

Taffy12: Depending on who's on your cruise, you might have the ice all to yourself for the advanced sessions. If there are other skaters out there, not sure how they would determine proficiency.

As for your own skates... gotta' get'em! Sure, rentals are practical until you decide whether you want to pursue the sport but, after that, get your own! You'll never be able to develop any skills on rentals. If there's a Pro shop at a rink nearest to you, you can get fitted by them and then order them online. Go to each of the makers' websites for suggestions on which model will best suit your level, ability, and weight.

Archived