Be aware - Mexican Riviera port changes!

SuMac

Just returned today from this cruise. Ixtapa and Acapulco were skipped and they told me would be skipped on the next Mexican cruise as well. I did not ask for further in the future.

Mazatlan and Manzanilla were replacement ports. We received $50 per person room credit. Matzatlan was great! Manzanilla less so, but we had a great time!

Reason:

One engine is down and undergoing repairs while ship is in use.

I'd suggest those going soon check with NCL before you leave if you find this unacceptable. They will allow you to skip and rebook with no penalty.

About to go to dinner, will post more later.

My wife and I also just got off the ship. They started letting people off around 8:00 in the morning who opted to carry off all of their luggage. We opted to let the ships personnel carry off our bags and had to put them out the night before. We got luggage tags that had us scheduled for 10:00 debarcation and they ended up making the announcement that we could leave at 9:00. It went very smooth and we were outside the terminal and waiting for our shuttle by 9:15.

At the CC meeting on the second day of the cruise the Captain and some of his officers attended. He said that the company that covers the warranties on the engines had inspected them on the previous cruise and had some concerns about one of the engines. The Captain was told that he could not crusie above 20 knots or the warranty would be voided. The Captain told use that he thought it was a minor problem. A few days into the cruise our cabin steward said that the Captain had a meeting with the crew and told them that the problem was more serious and might require the boat going into dry dock. At this point I don't think NCL knows how severe the problem is or how many future cruise itineraries will be effected.

Just returned today from this cruise. Ixtapa and Acapulco were skipped and they told me would be skipped on the next Mexican cruise as well. I did not ask for further in the future.

Mazatlan and Manzanilla were replacement ports. We received $50 per person room credit. Matzatlan was great! Manzanilla less so, but we had a great time!

Reason:

One engine is down and undergoing repairs while ship is in use.

I'd suggest those going soon check with NCL before you leave if you find this unacceptable. They will allow you to skip and rebook with no penalty.

About to go to dinner, will post more later.

Thanks so much for your great info! I am cruising the Star on 4/7 and I am dying to know this... Does the cruisline offer shore excursions in Mazatlan and Manzanillo or are you on your own? If they do offer excursions, is there a nice selection or should we plan ahead to do our own thing? Thanks so much!:)

We were VIP with Express (carrying out our own bags). Met at Ginsa Restaurant at 7:45am. Was off ship at 8am, and in a taxi to LAX immediately. Took an earlier flight back to Texas at 9:50 instead of 1:50. Everything went very slick! Groups disembarked at different hours and met at different places on the ship until they were allowed to exit. Was dreading this after reading here about waiting forever and lots of mad travelers. Since we were first off, I am pleased to hear all went so well for the rest. It seemed very well organized, so long as everyone played nice and did as they were told.

They were very late in boarding initially tho, so NCL had buses pick passengers up a LAX and take a free LA City Tour. It was that or watch the planes come in at LAX for hours, or stand in line in the hot sun at the port. (Next time we'll opt to watch the planes.) It was really nice of them, they had the best intentions, but our driver was SO obnoxious, talked a mile a minute and never stopped - for HOURS! We drove around Hollywood and saw various venues that the Academy Awards had been presented at, saw them taking down from the award show the night before. We stopped for a snack at a park that had a convenience snack store. By the time NCL gave him the word to bring us in, we were all so stressed and tired, and late. We didn't care how the embarkation photo came out - it was a moment we did NOT want to remember. We boarded as the muster drill was in progress, and by the time we got to our cabin, it was over. Oh well, at least we got to skip that part! :)

YES! There were excursions at the two M-ports. And all other excusions had to be rebooked because we were arriving on the wrong days, or not at all, from what had bee booked. We don't do excursions, but I did hear there was a pirate ship cruise that folks raved about.

Manzanilla is small and quaint. We walked from the ship, and strolled around shops, bars, and ended up at the beach.

Mazatlan DO NOT try to walk from the ship! It is far to everywhere and thru some pretty rough territory. We took a golf-cart sort of taxi that was $25 an hour to tour or $10 to the Golden Zone. This is a row of nice hotels where they dump you off and you can use their beach and pools.

We sailed on Feb 2 and were thrilled with Ixtapa. It is a gorgeous port. I would have really been disappointed to miss it. The ocean in Alcapulco was like bath water, so that was a plus this time of year too.

We've never been to Manzanillo, so we would like to see it. The Travel Channel listed a resort there in Mexico's top ten hotels. I guess the old movie, "Night of the Iguana," was filmed there. Manzanillo looked beautiful on tv.

Last time we went to Mazatlan, the pier was being redone, so we had to dock at the cargo terminal. It was in a terrible location, so we returned to the ship.

NCL Dawn is having similar problems. I wonder if it is the same manufacturer for both ships.

I think you've hit on something there as the Dawn and Star are sister ships!

I know. We really were disappointed that Ixtapa, the place we wanted to see most got skipped. And look at a map! How much further is it from Manzanilla? Maybe the port was just not available on a different day than planned???

We loved Cabo best, then PV, then Mazatlan. In fact we may fly down to Cabo one day. It is a party location, like PV. Cabo is the only tendered stop, and you can walk down the piers to restaurant after restaurant, which eventually hits the beach. Sat out at BillyGin's Isle. All the beaches are swarming with hawkers who we all must look alike to, as they come back again and again pushing their wares. But they are gentle, not pushy, just persistant. Never take the price they ask for anything. They seem to expect haggling.

I went on a Mexican Riveria cruise two years ago. Mazatlan was one of my favorite ports of all time. the locals were very nice and helpful. My BF and I went into town and explored. A local came up to us and asked us what we would like to do. To my surprise my bf(at the time) was like we want to go parasailing and jet skiing, he said ok I will bring you. ANd hailed a cab my BF was like no way we are not getting in a cab with you (we were offered many illegal things here so we were sure who we could trust) he said ok follow me and he brought us to a local hotel on the beach and negotiated prices with us for jet skis and we got them for a half hour for very little. I dont know how long we were out there but i believe it was much longer than a half hour. WE also went parasailing and again very cheap $1.00 (to go up 24.00 to come down :D) I would go back here anytime it was so much Fun.

Archived