Which cruise to choose

travgurl

Decision to make, whether to travel on the Carnival Glory of Royal Carribean Grandeur of the Seas in mid July. Glory travels to Belize, Costa Maya, Cozemel, and Nassau; Grandeur travels to Haiti, Samana Dominician Republic, San Juan, and Charlotte St Thomas. Seven vs nine nights, fly to the Glory or drive to the Grandeur. Traveling with my husband and 3 older teens, first time cruisers. Any thoughts?

My teens absolutely love Haiti (Labadee). They didn't care as much for Nassau (and the water was colder). They also really like St. Thomas as it has some wonderful beaches and a great variety of excursions.

Another vote for the Grandeur. You'll have a better cruise experience overall on RC than on Carnival, from embarkation/disembarkation to meals to entertainment. San Juan and St Thomas are excellent ports with lots to do. Samana is just starting to entertain cruise passengers and the tourism industry (for cruise passengers, at least) hasn't kicked into high gear yet, but there are some beautiful beaches and the area is still unspoiled. Just read as much as you can on these boards about Samana so you'll be prepared to make the most of it.

Another vote for the Grandeur. You'll have a better cruise experience overall on RC than on Carnival, from embarkation/disembarkation to meals to entertainment. San Juan and St Thomas are excellent ports with lots to do. Samana is just starting to entertain cruise passengers and the tourism industry (for cruise passengers, at least) hasn't kicked into high gear yet, but there are some beautiful beaches and the area is still unspoiled. Just read as much as you can on these boards about Samana so you'll be prepared to make the most of it.

I think there will be more younger people on carnival but I agree with the quality statements by Tmeister. We stick to RCI for value and quality. Ports are important but the "cruise" is what makes it special compared to an "all inclusive". Either way you will make a lasting memory for the three first timers. Have fun! :)

I absolutely hated the Glory...it was the most overcrowded ship I have ever experienced. Lines everywhere, awful pool area, loud dining room, mediocre food.

I prefer both the ports offered by Granduer as well as the overall experience on RCI vs Carnival.

There is nothing as relaxing as traveling from a home port. I've read on these boards that there will be no cruises out of Baltimore next year. I vote for saving the airfare, avoiding the hassle, and cruising from your home port, especially since next year you may not have that option.

As you can see from my signature, I am a Royal fan. That being said, if the Glory sounded like a better cruise, I would have suggested it.

But, all things you mentioned considered, The Grandeur is your ship.

Archived