Hotel choices in Beijing and Bangkok

Donyb

We have quotes for hotel stay and tours in Beijing. One choice is Grand Hyatt and the other is Peninsula Beijing. Has anyone used these hotels? Can anyone recommend others, centrally located and why did you like them?

In Bangkok, we have a quote for Sheraton Royal Orchid. Has anyone stayed there and can anyone recommend something else, also centrally located and why did you like it?

We will be in Beijing late Oct. and Bangkok mid-November. Both are on either end of a cruise.

My personal favorites:

Beijing Hotel http://www.chinabeijinghotel.com.cn/en/main.asp

This hotel is one of the oldest in Beijing. It is also the only hotel that westerners were allowed to stay in until China opened up in the late 70's/80's. Every US President who has been to China, high level diplomat, and most dignitaries have stayed there. They have a very interesting video in the lobby showing some of this. Mao had an office there. The location is excellent. Not far from Tiannamen Sq and Forbidden City. Outback Steakhouse in the back of the hotel if you need some American comfort food. The Executive rooms in Bldg A face the main drag in Beijing and have small balconies to look out. I have booked this hotel as a package three times through AsiaRooms.com. Package included fantastic buffet breakfast and Executive Superior Room in Bldg A. About $700 for two for three days.

Peninsula Bangkok

Fantastic!!! One of the top 10 hotels in the world (experience it, even if you only stay 1 night). The new spa has just been finished, if you like spas. The packages direct from the hotel website are truly a good value. Skytrain tickets, breakfast, high tea, boat transfers. Average price-about $300.00 per night (including breakfast, skytrain, etc), although there are package deals from travel agents/online booking agencies which may save a few dollars.

Just returned from three nights there........ lovely rooms with fabulous views; however, lobby is very confusing and breakfast (although plentiful) is a real zoo when several groups are there.

As far as location, I found some wonderful little street shops with real bargains within walking distance; also the fabulous River City Shopping Center is connected by a walkwayto the hotel with outstanding stores.

And, along the way, foot massages for $5.00 :D

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned March 18 from Bkk-Beijing 24-day Nautica cruise. We stayed three nights at Peninsula Bkk and two nights Peninsula Beijing.

Highly recommend both hotels for luxury accommodations and excellent service and dining.

Check hotel packages offered on their website.

Thanks for the recommendations for Beijing. We have not made a decision yet but it looks like the Grand Hyatt and Peninsula will be our options. We finish our cruise in Bangkok and were definitely looking at the Peninsula there. We have ground and tour arrangements pretty well confirmed but have asked them to quote with the hotels included. We have looked at the individual web sites for the 2 hotels but find it confusing on whether breakfast is included and what the additional taxes and svc. charges are. It seems like places like Asiarooms.com has better prices than the individual hotel sites. Does anyone have an opinion about that and of course, any personal experiences given are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Peninsular Beijing is a great Hotel, I stay here everytime I go to Beijing. Get a Club Level floor the additional rate is well worth it considering you get a good breakfast, drinks in the evening etc etc.

I recommend the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok ( Its one of Asia's very best Hotels ) If you want something a little more funky but still very good the Banyan Tree Bangkok is also similarly outstanding.

Have a fantastic trip!!!!!

Novemberbravo1974

Thanks for the recommendations for Beijing. We have not made a decision yet but it looks like the Grand Hyatt and Peninsula will be our options. We finish our cruise in Bangkok and were definitely looking at the Peninsula there. We have ground and tour arrangements pretty well confirmed but have asked them to quote with the hotels included. We have looked at the individual web sites for the 2 hotels but find it confusing on whether breakfast is included and what the additional taxes and svc. charges are. It seems like places like Asiarooms.com has better prices than the individual hotel sites. Does anyone have an opinion about that and of course, any personal experiences given are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have used AsiaRooms extensively all over the Orient. They beat almost everyone's prices EXCEPT the Peninusla in Bangkok. The Pen hotel "packages" are the best deals-breakfast, skytrain tickets, some include massages, some include high tea.

When you go to Asiarooms.com, you have to read the fine print FOR EVERY HOTEL to find out whether breakfast is included and if all fees are included. I have never been charged a service charge. Taxes and fees are generally included. And certain hotels handle booking differently. Some you will be required to fax front and back of credit card as well as ID. Some will only GUARANTEE a reservation-your room is NOT prepaid. And some are truly prepaid. It is the way of the world in the Orient-there really is no consistency.

Archived