Got our docs, but there's a problem!

Picked up our docs a couple of days ago, (8/13 - Serenade Alaska), but just looked at them today. We (a group of 8 adults and 9 kids) requested early seating, but received late! Our TA is out of town. What should we do? Can we do anything at this late date?
Thank you!

Your TA, or some one in that office, should be able to fix this before you go. If not, as soon as you get on board, go the dining room and ask to correct the problem. They should be able to help you. Bon Voyage and have a great time!

[quote name='telesaps']Picked up our docs a couple of days ago, (8/13 - Serenade Alaska), but just looked at them today. We (a group of 8 adults and 9 kids) requested early seating, but received late! Our TA is out of town. What should we do? Can we do anything at this late date?
Thank you![/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, first seating is waitlisted. I would definitely call the TA to be put on the list if they didn't automatically put you on the list since that was your first request. If you call RCCL directly in the meantime, they may go ahead and make sure you're on the list since it's not a change to your booking. Also, go to the Dining Room as soon as you get on board and make sure they know you're on the waitlist. Good luck!

How long ago did you book? They usually give the people that booked early their preferred dining time.

You're probably stuck until you board the ship. I doubt that a tip would help because usually there's a large line of people wanting to switch and the people try to be fair or people get really mad. It's usually easiest for them to switch a small party such as a couple. With a group of 17 that probably want to sit together at 2 tables, I think the odds are less likely on you getting switched.

On the bright side, since it's light in Alaska much later, you may find yourself on shore excursions later and you won't have to rush back to the ship for dinner.

Good luck!

We had 14 for late seating (we prefer this time BTW) and we were placed at two tables. When we got on board, we went to check out the tables. I asked one of the waiters if we would have the same waiter and he replied that he though our tables were divided between two waiters, sharing the same assistant. That fact didn't bother us except that we had wanted to rotate our seating so that we could eat with different members each night. I worried how we could do this. The waiter told us to double check with the head man.
There were only two people ahead of me. The lady in front of me was trying to get her tables straightened out. It seems part of her party was put downstairs and the rest up stairs,. She got mad at first and then started crying:o . I felt sorry for the Head man to have to deal with that. He told the lady he would try his best, but he didn't think he could get them all together. I had a feeling that he wasn't even going to try. We later saw the lady near our table and she only had a few people at her table.
Anyway, my turn was next. I decided to be nice! ;) I asked about the waiters and he confirmed that our two tables would have different waiters. Instead of getting mad or asking if we could possibly have the same waiters, I just asked if it would be a problem for our families to rotate seats each night. He said as long as we sat at the same table with our immediate family on the first and last nights, that rotating would be fine. I knew he was thinking about the tipping issue. :rolleyes:
When we all arrived the first evening, we were surprised to find that we all had the same waitress and assistant waiter (both adorable!). That solved our problem and we ended up putting all the kids at one table and the adults at another. We tipped the waiters and head waiter very well that last night.

Thank you for all the replies. We booked this cruise in December 2003. We all asked for early seating, but it looks like the travel agent made a mistake. I will go down to the agency tomorrow to see what can be done. With such a large party, probably not much.

I don't mind late seating, but I think it is hard for the kids, ages 5 - 12. Any advice as to how to manage them and their hunger?

We have always had late seating (our request) while traveling with kids. We have not found this to be a problem for the kids. If your kids (or you) are hungry before your dinner time, remember there is food available for a snack at numerous places.

The only disadvantage we have found is that the kids activities start for the evening as your dinner time starts, so they will either miss some evening activities or some dinner activities. This has never been an issue for our kids, but it is something to be aware of.

Bruce

The Windjammer might be a nice option for your group on some nights. They have almost the same food as the dining room. The benefits are that you'd still get great food, you can eat when you want, you don't have to wait for the courses to be served so dinner wouldn't have to last as long, you don't have to dress up, and you can find a lot of tables together.

Archived