Restaurants in Galveston

margord

Also try Casey's (next to Gaido's and run by the Gaido family), Fish Tales, Fisherman's Wharf, Clary's for seafood.

For breakfast try the Mosquito Cafe or Phoenix Bakery.

Then there is always more upscale dining at Luigi's, Rudy and Paco's, Pics on 45th, and The Market on Avenue L.

There have been several threads on this forum about eating in Galveston. Do a search and also go to www.galveston.com and click on Cuisine under Things To Do.

Listen to Clearlakecruisers, I can tell from the post that he or she is an experienced local. I would just like to add a couple more of my choices to Clearlakecruisers list but I agree with all the recommendations on the post.

I also like the Saltwater Grill across the street from Rudy & Paco's. For an our of the way Tex-Mex breakfast if you can handle Chorizo and Eggs or Migas with Refried Beans, Papas & Fresh Tortillas then ask directions to the Original Mexican Cafe. At 1401 Market Street in an old converted home, you can find it on the site from Clearlakecruisers post.

Any of you locals ever try Clary's? It's off Tellepson on Offat Bayou. Better than Gaido's in our opinion. It might be a bit complex for an out-of-towner to find, though.

Clary's is great, but it's located on Teichman Road.

Everyone has had good suggestions.

My favorite Mexican breakfast is at La Estacion on Ball Street. Delicous! It looks like a whole in the wall, but the food is excellent! I highly recommend the Suprise burritos. You won't need to eat lunch after eating breakfast here. Lunch is great here to, but they aren't open for dinner.

I just wanted to add one more of my favorite Galveston restaurants that hasn't been mentioned - DiBella's for great Italian food. They are located on 31st Street. They do not take credit cards. They even have great steaks that you can get crab meat on. I just might have to go here this weekend. Make a reservation so you won't have to wait.

Well, MellowMel, you beat me to it! I was just going to mention DiBella's as a Galveston tradition. Historically Galveston had two-story corner commercial buildings - most were grocery stores - at many intersections. Di Bella's has taken one of these in an older neighborhood (Pics on 45th and The Market on Avenue L have more recently done the same) and turned it into a neighborhood Italian restaurant. Not fancy, but full of Old Galveston atmosphere.

Texreno, yes, I'm a she, a local since 1967, a cruise lover, and "foodie". I too like the Original Mexican Cafe and had forgotten Saltwater Grill! So many restaurants...so little time!!

I think it comes down to what do you want, great seafood or a nautical atmosphere.

Gaido's on the Seawall does Gulf seafood as good as anyone on the Third Coast.

Some critics will say it's not as good as it used to be, but I ask you, what is?

If you are a landlocked person visiting a seaport, go to Fisherman's Wharf, 22nd and Harborside right by the cruise terminals, free parking, get your ticket stamped and visit the Strand.

They are part of the Landry Inc., restaurant chain, but their location is right by the Tall Ship Elissa(1877 Three mast Barque) and the cruise terminals with a great view out in the harbor and the Elissa.

They are fair with seafood , reasonably priced for Galveston, and can add to your cruise experience.

When we are cruising out of Galveston, I arrange a Cruise Critics precruise Happy Hour at Fisherman's Wharf for the ambiance, we might go to Gaiod's after that, but it's a great place to start . Right now, the Port of Galveston is featuring a lot of Oil Rigs being refitted across the way in what is a very active port.

Landry's INC., BTW is owned by Tillman Fertitta, a Galvestonian.

The Elissa was the oldest ship in the Bicenntenial tall ship parade in NY City, and well worth a visit at the Texas Seaport Museum.

http://www.tsm-elissa.org/

Clary's is great, but it's located on Teichman Road.

Yeah, that occurred to me later, but I wasn't at the computer any more. I got my "t" streets mixed up. Could drive there with my eyes (almost) closed, though.

Well, MellowMel, you beat me to it! I was just going to mention DiBella's as a Galveston tradition. Historically Galveston had two-story corner commercial buildings - most were grocery stores - at many intersections. Di Bella's has taken one of these in an older neighborhood (Pics on 45th and The Market on Avenue L have more recently done the same) and turned it into a neighborhood Italian restaurant. Not fancy, but full of Old Galveston atmosphere.

Texreno, yes, I'm a she, a local since 1967, a cruise lover, and "foodie". I too like the Original Mexican Cafe and had forgotten Saltwater Grill! So many restaurants...so little time!!

Glad to meet you Clearlakecruiser, I've seen several of your post. I can't believe I have never tried DiBella's, my DW and I will give it a try. Galveston was my territory back in the early 80's when I worked for a grocery wholesaler. I called on many of those old neighborhood 2 story grocery stores and many were run by 2nd or 3rd generation Italian families. It looks like they converted into restaurants as Wal-Mart moved in. You still have time to book on with a great roll call group on the April 21, 2007 sailing of the Grand Princess out of Galveston.

Rudy & Paco's is 21st & Post Office across the street from SaltWater Grill. Francisco (Paco) does good Central American cusine.

Another good Italian Restaurant is Luigi's 24th and Strand.

Clary was a cook at Gaido's before he opened his own restaurant.

We eat at the Original at least once a week as it's by UTMB, and the food is very good. You might try Barbacoa if it's offered.

A really excellent though pricy restaurant is Shearn's at the top of the Moody Gardens Hotel with upscale food and a fantastic view.

Which brings up seeing Moody Gardens a first class attraction in it's own right.

http://www.moodygardens.com/

Archived