First timers.....Zuiderdam

tbmulligan

So we have booked our first cruise ever on the Zuiderdam for the November 10th sailing, VF5062.....everybody seems to be in 70's cabins, hope our room isn't bad....of course nothing to compare it to. Any pictures for us, comments, suggestions. Thanx so much.

We were in cabin 5065, also a VF, on the Oosterdam, sister to the Zuiderdam, last April.

That is a great room. AFAIK, all the V-something class cabins are essentially the same. The only difference is the location on the ship and a few have larger balconies. The VA cabins that face aft at the extreme stern of the ship have much larger balconies, because of the "terraced" decks at the stern.

In 5065, our balcony overlooked the lifeboats, but the view outward was not obstructed at all. The view downward was somewhat obstructed. You couldn't see anything happening at the waterline of the ship or on the pier very close to the ship, but nothing much happens there, anyway.

The railing on those cabins have plexiglas, unlike the VF cabins on deck 4, which have a solid steel railing, which limits the view when sitting down, but not when standing up.

In 5065, the balcony was comfortable, but cozy for two people. There are two chairs and a small (about 2 x 2 feet) table. Three people would probably be okay, although one would have to stand. Four people had better be VERY good friends. We liked to order room service breakfast and eat on the balcony, especially on port days. It was quicker than getting dressed and fighting the crowds on the Lido.

5065, and 5062 are about midway between the forward elevators and the midship elevators, so there isn't a lot of foot traffic outside the door. You're about four cabins aft of the "bend", where the superstructure narrows to clear the lifeboats, and on the port side. We were on the starboard side.

The interior of the cabin was, again, cozy for two. We had no real problem getting past each other, but it is not a suite, so expect a little congestion, especially getting past the bed.

Ahh, the bed. HAL has unbelievably comfortable beds. I'm not sure what is different about them, but they are better than any I've ever had in any hotel.

All in all, I can't think of any reason to get any other cabin category than a VF on deck 5, unless I could affort to upgrade to a full suite. I booked a VE (5113) for our upcoming Zuiderdam (Apr. 7) cruise, only because they were only selling VF guarantees when I booked, and I didn't want to risk getting a VF on deck 4, with the steel railing.

Hope this helps.

The railing on those cabins have plexiglas, unlike the VF cabins on deck 4, which have a solid steel railing, which limits the view when sitting down, but not when standing up.

Anyone know if rooms 8096, 8094 and 8092 have steel railings on the balcony? 8096 is ss nd 8094 and 8092 are VA. Please let me know, as this is an Alaskan cruise we're going on and we want to be able to sit on the balcony andnot have to stand to see. Thanks.

Lindsay:confused:

Its my understanding, on the Zuiderdam anyway, the only deck with the steel is deck 4.....anyone know if that is correct? We are booked in two weeks for a 6th deck SY .....

Yes, that's correct. If you loook at a picture of any Vista class ship, you'll notice a wide white strip at the top of the hull that extends from the bow to a point about four cabins forward of the "bend", where the superstructure narrows for the lifeboats. That white stripe is the solid steel railing.

At the point just forward of the bend, the stripe becomes much narrower. That's where the plexiglas begins. This only occurs on deck four.

Archived