driving to ny redhook port

brovol

i will be driving to ny with my wife and kids, for a 6/26 sailing on the crown princess. i am worried about driving through ny city on the tuesday morning of the criuse. we will be staying in new jersey the night before (i think the town is called pessipany, or something like that). what would be the best route to take to the port? how bad will trafic be? will the port be easy to find? will it look like the ports in miami and ft lauderdale? how long will it take to drive through ny city? any tips or words of wisdom from anyone? we have been on many cruises, but have never been to ny city, and we are up tight about it. thanks.

correction on the name of the nj town we will be staying in. it is parsippany nj. any thoughts would be appreciated.

without traffic its 1 1/4 hours. Witrh traffic it can be more.

get directions from mapquest from the hotel to the Brooklyn Red Hook Pier which is the corner of Imlay and Bowne StreetBrooklyn NY 11231.

If you leave after 10 you will miss must of the rush hour. My relatives lived in that area and we would do all the time you will be at the intersection of 287 and 80. If the directions get you to 280 that is the way to go. they can get complicated but essientially you want 280 East to the NJ Turnpike east to the Holland tunnel to The Brooklyn battery Tunnel to the Hamilton Avenue exit and make two quick lefts -follow the signs when you get out of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

Why not send the OP either over the Verranzano or GW? May be a little further distance, but certainly an easier drive and not a lot of chances to make a mistake. If you get messed up coming out of the Holland or Lincoln trying to find the Battery, you could be really lost.

Routing 1.

I-80 to I-95 (NJ Turnpike) to Exit 13-Goethels/Veranzano Bridge. Over the bridge to I-278 East. Get off at Hamilton Ave.

Routing 2.

I-80 Eastbound over the George Washington Bridge. Right after the bridge, take I-87 (Major Deegan Expressway) south to the Triborough Bridge. Over the Triborough to I-278 WEST. This way you will pass Yankee Stadium. Get off at Atlantic Ave.

Here is a link to easy directions once you cross from NJ to NY.

http://www.redhookwaterfront.com/_hm.main/directions.html

Enjoy!!!

Why not send the OP either over the Verranzano or GW? May be a little further distance, but certainly an easier drive and not a lot of chances to make a mistake. If you get messed up coming out of the Holland or Lincoln trying to find the Battery, you could be really lost.

Routing 1.

I-80 to I-95 (NJ Turnpike) to Exit 13-Goethels/Veranzano Bridge. Over the bridge to I-278 East. Get off at Hamilton Ave.

Routing 2.

I-80 Eastbound over the George Washington Bridge. Right after the bridge, take I-87 (Major Deegan Expressway) south to the Triborough Bridge. Over the Triborough to I-278 WEST. This way you will pass Yankee Stadium. Get off at Atlantic Ave.

Here is a link to easy directions once you cross from NJ to NY.

http://www.redhookwaterfront.com/_hm.main/directions.html

Enjoy!!!

while its true these are differnt directions they are both longer and more prone to traffic. This am the GW had a hour back up and the BQE had a accident from the V-N bridge. The Tunnel with only a 10 minute delay was the Holland Tunnel. The Lincoln had a 30 minute back up. Its true this has a couple of turns but missing the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel from the Holland takes some doing. I don't know why you feel you always have to disagree with me but I am sure if I sent them the other way you would have said why didn't I send them the most direct way. From Parrissipany each one of your ways adds at least 10 miles if not more and takes them through areas that are highly prone to delays...like the GW or across Staten Island. The GW way gets involved with some of the most difficult and confusing turns in NY and the heaviest truck traffic(the cross Bronx way) in the US. Is there some trucks restrictiion at the Holland Tunnel?....

while its true these are differnt directions they are both longer and more prone to traffic. This am the GW had a hour back up and the BQE had a accident from the V-N bridge. The Tunnel with only a 10 minute delay was the Holland Tunnel. The Lincoln had a 30 minute back up. Its true this has a couple of turns but missing the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel from the Holland takes some doing. I don't know why you feel you always have to disagree with me but I am sure if I sent them the other way you would have said why didn't I send them the most direct way. From Parrissipany each one of your ways adds at least 10 miles if not more and takes them through areas that are highly prone to delays...like the GW or across Staten Island. The GW way gets involved with some of the most difficult and confusing turns in NY and the heaviest truck traffic(the cross Bronx way) in the US. Is there some trucks restrictiion at the Holland Tunnel?....

I wasn't trying to be confrontational. You live in NYC, I am there frequently. Driving around the city is easy for you and me. It is usually not that easy for someone from other parts of the country OTHER THAN the Northeast corridor.

This couple is driving from Michigan, if I'm not mistaken. I don't get the feeling that they are very familiar with NYC/NJ traffic. They are just stopping in Parsippany (friends/family maybe???) So trying to keep them out of Manhattan was my objective.

Since I send new drivers from the Midwest into NYC almost every month, I do realize that NYC can be very confusing-the signage is not good, the traffic delays. And yes, I admit that my routes are longer, but they are all interstate driving, so no looking for side streets or sitting in "downtown" traffic and having to deal with cabs that take up two lanes, constant honking, people driving on sidewalks, triple parked cars, etc. Those things are truly daunting to someone who has never seen them before. You and I don't think twice about them, hence the differences in routings.

Holland has always been restricted-height clearance-straight trucks mostly. It was built when the average height of a semi trailer was 12'6". Remember before they dug out the BQE and all the overpasses were marked 12'6". Lots of truck tire tracks before those overpasses.

Lincoln only has a 13' clearance, so most over the road trucks cannot clear the Lincoln (standard trailer height is now 13'6"). And large trucks are now checked at almost all tunnel openings anymore. Even my straight trucks are constantly stopped going in and out of Manhattan at the tunnels (and they do fit through all the tunnels).

And yes, the GW can be a real mess. But the view from the bridge and the bridge itself are simply spectacular. And you get the added benefit of seeing Yankee Stadium.

My preference to Brooklyn would be the VZ off the NJ turnpike, but since 911, I can hardly drive across the bridge with dry eyes. Tuesday morning after 10:00AM shouldn't be too bad on either route.

btw Mapquest says my way is 32 miles. Via the VN or the GW is 47. Almost a 50% greater distance. I didn't even send then the most direct way which is NJ route 508 to 1 9 North but that really is confuing although its how I go.

Actually the reason I mentioned the Holland is they still have a restriction to NO trucks at all...making much easier than the other ways.

I do think you should reconsider. I worked for a company in NJ and had to drive it reverse commute for a long time. The way I sent them is the easiet least traffic, most direct way. Yes they will have to read the signs. Personally I have a GPS device in the car which is very useful even when you know the way when you want to try something new.(bought on ebay for under $300.)

Lastly you should know the via the NJ turnpike way is something I found from people posting here. I use it because I agree with the person who originally posted it that for people not used to NY/NJ directions its an easier way than the 508 route.

what a fantabulous dialog. this is great--i have options. i will check out both options on a map, and consider the arguments made by each of the very capable debaters (lol). perhaps i should just take the family chopper. thank both of you for taking the time to help out.

fyi

ALL EASTBOUND COMMERCIAL TRAFFIC BANNED AT THE HOLLAND TUNNEL

Date: August 01, 2004

Press Release Number: 888-2004

As a result of the latest federal warning, commercial traffic is prohibited from entering New York City via the Holland Tunnel as a precaution effective at 12:01 a.m., Monday, August 2, 2004. Commercial vehicles are encouraged to use the Lincoln Tunnel and George Washington Bridge as alternatives. This plan is part of the Port Authority's continuing cooperation with federal, state and local agencies. Commercial vehicles may exit New York City through the Holland Tunnel.

Holland Tunnel Ban remains in effect until further notice.

Were you aware of this?

fyi

ALL EASTBOUND COMMERCIAL TRAFFIC BANNED AT THE HOLLAND TUNNEL

Date: August 01, 2004

Press Release Number: 888-2004

As a result of the latest federal warning, commercial traffic is prohibited from entering New York City via the Holland Tunnel as a precaution effective at 12:01 a.m., Monday, August 2, 2004. Commercial vehicles are encouraged to use the Lincoln Tunnel and George Washington Bridge as alternatives. This plan is part of the Port Authority's continuing cooperation with federal, state and local agencies. Commercial vehicles may exit New York City through the Holland Tunnel.

Holland Tunnel Ban remains in effect until further notice.

Were you aware of this?

Of course. Our semis are much too large to get through any of the tunnels and the straight trucks go into/out of Jersey through the Lincoln. But what's your point?

You still have a Midwest couple and their kids trying to find unfamiliar roads in the middle of Manhattan-two way traffic, one way streets, buses, cabs, horns honking constantly. Can be VERY unnerving.

I give up. I direct 35 semis around NYC all week long. Some of those drivers have NEVER been to NYC. Most of the drivers are based in the Midwest, where there is not the kind of traffic or "attitude" there is in NYC. My object is NOT to get them lost, into an unfamiliar, possibly unsafe, neighborhood, or into an area where there are low underpasses and no place to turn around. Ya just can't get too lost for too long if you stay on the interstates. And until my guys are familiar with the city and traffic patterns, they prefer to stay on the interstates, even if it is a few more miles. You sure don't have to worry much about triple parked cars, honking horns, etc.

what a fantabulous dialog. this is great--i have options. i will check out both options on a map, and consider the arguments made by each of the very capable debaters (lol). perhaps i should just take the family chopper. thank both of you for taking the time to help out.

No need to drag along the family chopper. You can fly from Newark airport to Manhattan or JFK, then take a taxi/car service to the port. Cheaper parking in NJ. http://www.flyush.com/

Glad you are enjoying the debate. Enjoy your trip, whichever route you take!!!

Interesting thread! Imagine how nervous we will be driving from California to Brooklyn! I hope we make it. We're not going until September, so hope to have it figured out by then!! We will be staying at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge location on Friday night before the cruise. Do we have to go through any tunnels or over bridges to get to the Red Hook Pier from the hotel? I guess we'll be doing that stressful part on a Friday! Ugh! If traffic is as bad on a Friday afternoon there as it is in LA or SF, double UGH!!

Interesting thread! Imagine how nervous we will be driving from California to Brooklyn! I hope we make it. We're not going until September, so hope to have it figured out by then!! We will be staying at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge location on Friday night before the cruise. Do we have to go through any tunnels or over bridges to get to the Red Hook Pier from the hotel? I guess we'll be doing that stressful part on a Friday! Ugh! If traffic is as bad on a Friday afternoon there as it is in LA or SF, double UGH!!

No you are under 2 miles from the Pier all on city streets....I would hestitate to give directions....

Archived