getting euros

pipster37

My husband and I are on the April 28th cruise, he would like to be able to get euros before we leave (in the states, Florida) so when we get off the plane we have them and do not have to search around the airport. Does anyone know where you can get them locally? Thank you:)

We purchased Euros in advance of our upcoming trip because we need 700 in cash to pay for an apartment we rented. I simply went online and made an order through my bank (Bank of America). They ordered the Euros, debited my checking account, and I picked up the funds in two days. You can buy Euros from AX and other banks as well and they will mail the funds to you FedEx. Good luck.

Why pay a fee to by Euros in the States when you can get them at an ATM at any airport you fly into.:confused:

Do they not charge a fee to get them at the ATM's? How does it compare to the fee at a US Bank?

We did the same with our bank, the fee was minimal, they debited our checking account and delivered them to our home the next day. Someone has to be there to accept - they will not just leave them. Wonderful service from National City.

There was no "fee" however the exchange rate was a bit higher. But in the end, the exchange rate was still lower than 3% and it was convenient. I always figure that this is just part of the cost of going on a vacation and just try to enjoy and not think about the exchange rate!

Many local banks can get them for you - they need about a three day notice. It is cheaper to use an ATM at the airport, but the service fees are not high. Just ask the teller at your bank - they will either get them for you, or tell you which branch of the bank carries them - in the town where we live, there are 5 branches of the same bank, but only one of them is designated to deal in foreign currency. I called and placed the order and paid them by check when I picked up the Euros.

Pipster,

Your BEST bet is to get Euros from your local bank at home. This is the LEASE expensive way and what you don't use, the bank will "buy back". Of course, you'll pay a rather small fee for doing this but it's without a doubt the best way to go. When you get back, the bank will take back all paper money. You can give coins to your great grand children...

Secondly, use an ATM in the foreign country... They seem to be EVERYWHERE... Do a cash "withdrawal" from your account rather than a cash advance on your credit card.

There are times when you can't find an ATM quickly at the airport so in this case, I use the horribly expensive money kiosks but I buy just say $50 worth of local currency - just enough to get me into town where I can find a bank or ATM on the street.

It's nor really that hard... Just be sure that when you're using the foreign ATM, _ you keep watch over your sholder to make sure no one is watching what you Key in.

If someone is overly aggressive, back off and let them go first..

Have a great voyage... Don't sweat the pennies..

"Your BEST bet is to get Euros from your local bank at home."

"use an ATM in the foreign country... They seem to be EVERYWHERE.."

These two statements seems to contradict each other. I never bother getting Euros in advance BECAUSE there are ATMs everywhere including the airports.

Pipster,

Just be sure that when you're using the foreign ATM, _ you keep watch over your sholder to make sure no one is watching what you Key in.

If someone is overly aggressive, back off and let them go first..

Equally true right here in the good ol' USA!

Mike

"Your BEST bet is to get Euros from your local bank at home."

"use an ATM in the foreign country... They seem to be EVERYWHERE.."

These two statements seems to contradict each other. I never bother getting Euros in advance BECAUSE there are ATMs everywhere including the airports.

The good news is that if you don't spend everything on one trip, you have "seed money" for the next one. I always wind up with a couple hundred Euros and that way I don't have to worry about having money for the next time. Also, with the falling dollar, you almost make money between trips!

Archived