Read before booking shore excursions

To anyone going on the mediterranean cruises-beware of the shore excursions offered be RCL. First, let me say that last Sept. my sister and I went on our first cruise ever leaving from Barcelona, then to France, Italy and then back. The cruise ship was wonderful!! The best vacation ever-and my husband and I have booked 2 other cruises already-BUT-

My sister and I were so excited about this as soon as we received our documents and booklet we booked an excursion out of each port of call. They sounded and looked so wonderful, informative, interesting. So here's the deal. We ended up running, literally, from the time we went to our "meeting place", until we got back on the ship. Every last person we spoke with on the ship that had taken these excursions were so dissapointed and so worn out from them.

IE: Province de Salon, France-The Nostradamus Tour. Rode the tour bus for 1 1/2 hours, listening to a french woman the entire time who spoke very little and very poor english. When we got off the bus we were all just looking at each other. She led us to see the outside of buildings that quite frankly, could have been anything. We went inside one "museum" that no one seemed to understand the signifigance of. One couple was standing outside taking photos of everyone walking out of the building with their "what the hell"? look on their faces. On the way back she did point to a lot of trees. Hmmmm- We have those too!

IE: Monte Carlo. Another guide we can't understand. Beautiful site over the riviera. Every place, AND I MEAN EVERY LAST PLACE we were supposed to go in was mysteriously closed, just for that one day. So there went $200 for a 5 minute look off the lower cornisch.

IE: We called it "Rome in a Blender" We actually did get to see inside of places, don't even think about seeing the Sisteen Chapel on one of these tours, and take on empty memory card in your camera, because you will spend the only short time you have alotted in line, and about 10 minutes to take pictures and get back out to go somewhere else.

What I'm getting at, for about $16 pp, take a bus or taxi to town, get a map and go it alone. THese tours are alot of money that leave you exhausted and very dissapointed.

Tweetyb,

We got off the ship in Naples, Italy, and saw some old men there on the park benches near the ship. They were dressed in suits and hats, and were all chatting away. DH asked them directions and one of them offered to lead the way. He had to be 80 years old and spoke English. Well, he was as happy as could be, and seemed to feel very important because he kept tapping cars and scooters with his cane and scurrying in front of us (he sure didn't need the cane)!

He took us to the train that goes up the mountain and to the fort up there where we had a wonderful view of the whole city and the sea. Next he took us through the quaint areas, and to a cameo shop. He advised us not to buy anything because "they were too much lira". After touring with him, DH gave him money and he couldn't wait to go back to his bench and show his friends. He was so cute!

Booking through the ship is safer though because if a taxi breaks down or gets lost and you're stuck...that's it.

Do you really think that this phenomenon is limited to Europe? Firstly let me say that any attempt to capture the essence of Rome in a week would be impossible, never mind a shore excursion! The Cistine (or Sisteen, if you prefer) Chapel is a wonder, as is the whole vatican experience. Personally, being a non-Catholic and having seen it all before, I prefer to visit the sites dating from Imperial Rome, but even then one has absolutely NO chance of appreciating these sites in one day.

I suppose it would be a bit like me getting on a bus at the quayside and saying "So this is New York .....please show me EVERYTHING of interest within the next 5 hours...oh! and let me have a photo opprtunity whenever I want".....impossible!!

I know it's frustrating when you realise that some places have so much to offer, but if you were organizing the shore excursions, how would you do it better?

Alan

My personal opinion is that shore excursions are very expensive and can be done cheaper if you do them yourselves. However, in order to do that you might need to doa lot of research beforehand and ask opinions of people by using a forum like this. I think then you can do a tailor made shore visit at a fraction of the cost.

BUT... that is not practical for a lot of people. Not everyone is confident enough to just get off a ship and ask a local to help them or to just get in a taxi and go exploring. A lot of people with small children may not have the stamina to face into doing something like this. For this reason Ship-organised excusions have their place and we have to accept their limitations.

For me - I have done them in the past - but now I tend to find my own way - that's part of my adventure!

Tweetyb,

We got off the ship in Naples, Italy, and saw some old men there on the park benches near the ship. They were dressed in suits and hats, and were all chatting away. DH asked them directions and one of them offered to lead the way. He had to be 80 years old and spoke English. Well, he was as happy as could be, and seemed to feel very important because he kept tapping cars and scooters with his cane and scurrying in front of us (he sure didn't need the cane)!

He took us to the train that goes up the mountain and to the fort up there where we had a wonderful view of the whole city and the sea. Next he took us through the quaint areas, and to a cameo shop. He advised us not to buy anything because "they were too much lira". After touring with him, DH gave him money and he couldn't wait to go back to his bench and show his friends. He was so cute!

Booking through the ship is safer though because if a taxi breaks down or gets lost and you're stuck...that's it.

I feel I must respond to your story with one of mine in almost identical circumstances. Back in 1997 when we got off the ship in Naples there was a man in his late 70's with a walking stick and when we asked for directions to St Frances Square he offered to take us up in the train and also to the Cameo factory. He said he would take us to St Frances Square on the way back to the ship I have heard from many friends who have been on a cruise to Naples that this man is still there doing his very tactful business. having said that he was a very nice man and we still have a laugh today because every time we wanted to go somewhere ie a restaraunt he would point us to another one he liked and you could see he was in co hoots with the owner but it did not matter to us beause he was so nice and obliging, and if he was not with us we would never been able to cross some of the streets, as you say he just tapped the cars and scooters and kept walking. He also warned us about pickpockets on the train and looked after us. I would not mind betting this is the same man.

OH MY GOSH ALLY....It sounds like he is the SAME man!!!! How funny! Did he also joyfully tell you that he does not have to pay for the train ride because it's free for senior citizens??? He was overjoyed that it was free for him! This old gentleman wore a brown suit and a hat, and he was thin and stooped over a little bit.

oh.....I just remembered something.... When he discovered that I was 1/2 Italian and my grandparents were from Naples, he wanted to look up our relatives in the phone book and go to visit them! I told him we didn't have the time.

Yes and as you say he spoke excellent English. The funniest thing that we remember about him was that when were looking for a snack and the toilet I spotted a cafe in which we could have sat down and used the toilet, now I was getting very desperate for the toilet at this stage but he kept saying no no much better toilet further on. When we got to where he wanted to take us he sat down with us, needless to say I just made for the toilet and when I came back my wife and our two freinds who were with us had ordered us all an Ice Cream cocktail on the recommendation of this man. It had almost every fruit in it you could imagine topped up with gorgoeus ice cream. I know why he recommended this one as it was the most expensive one on the menu but it was lovely and we really enjoyed it, and we still have a good laugh about it today, so when I saw your post it brought back so many wonderful memories as this cruise was to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. He was a very charming man who knew exactly what he was doing. We did not mind because if we had taken an excursion we would have had to pay for a guide anyway and we would not perhaps had the lasting memories.

I was born and raised in Europe (Holland) and could never imagine only having a day or less in a port. I struggle with this, as I want to take my oldest son to Europe next year, and as part of that do a cruise. But to have only a few hours in each port? Yikes. I can handle that in the Caribbean, but to have to do that in Europe is going to leave me very frustrated. I think what I am going to do is go to my home country, spend a week there with him, then take him on a cruise so he gets a feel of some other countries and then let him pick a place he would want to spend another week. Really, all a cruise to Europe does is give you a tiny taste of something that is meant to be savored.

MissChievious, You have a good plan! You are right about the limited time in each port.

We had one day in Turkey, one in Italy, one in each of the Greek Islands, & two days in Israel. How can you really see all of the interesting things:confused: We did get to see the most important sites where Jesus lived and died, but we would have loved to also see more of all the other ports. In South America, we went on two cruises back to back so that we could see more of the countries there, but again, it was too short.

I was born and raised in Europe (Holland) and could never imagine only having a day or less in a port. I struggle with this, as I want to take my oldest son to Europe next year, and as part of that do a cruise. But to have only a few hours in each port? Yikes. I can handle that in the Caribbean, but to have to do that in Europe is going to leave me very frustrated. I think what I am going to do is go to my home country, spend a week there with him, then take him on a cruise so he gets a feel of some other countries and then let him pick a place he would want to spend another week. Really, all a cruise to Europe does is give you a tiny taste of something that is meant to be savored.

We're planning a trip to Italy in '08 and I know exactly what you are saying here. We're struggling with the cruise vs. land trip decision. We have actually found a cruise this year that is doing a pretty good itinerary and hope it continues with the same in '08. The whole thing is packing and moving from place to place, as we want to see several towns in a short amount of time. We also plan to arrive in Rome a couple of days prior and extend our vacation another 2-3 days after the cruise.

To the OP, I feel we have some responsibility to learn a little of the language and customs of the countries we're visiting. It may have made a world of difference in your trip. I've already started on Italian and may include a little French between now and when we leave. We also have been researching tour companies and there are many that do speak English. I've been on enough cruises that I know what to expect from a ship sponsored excursion and I no longer plan on those. You get a crowded, drive by experience, that's all.

I think your post is a very good one, perhaps it can warn many others to know more about where they are travelling and to not expect everyone else in the world to speak the same language we do. Not everything is open every day and in some countries they even have siesta and you'll not be able to find anywhere, or not much choice, for a place to eat lunch. Then, there is the restroom issue, it's best to read up on that situation before embarking on any trip, land or curise, in a foreign country. We're pretty spoiled here and we have to adjust to a different culture, not them adjust to ours.

I'm sorry you didn't have the trip of a lifetime, perhaps you can go again, the next time more prepared than you were this time. Don't just read the booklet by the cruise line, get a travel guide for each country you're visiting.

Boy, I wish we had met the guy with the cane. SOunds like you guys really had a nice visit in a little bit of time. I knew we wouldn't be able to "see it all". I lived in Germany for 3 years, and fortunately was able to experience Europe. My sister on the other hand, it was her first time out of the country, and I was hoping for more of an experience. Knowing what I know now, I would do a lot more research before boarding a cruise of the med. Seriously though, the tours in Italy were not a bad experience as short and rushed as they were. But France- whoa, and before offending anyone, I had just better stop right there. Just be fore-warned, don't waste your money on the shore excursions.

When we did our Med cruise we found a post here from a lady that had done our cruise previously and had posted 3-5 pages on each port. She outlined every detail down to train schedules and prices and where the ATMs were.

Our trip was probably enahnced 10 fold with her info. All of out tours were private except for one RCI tour.

We agree that you can save money doing tours privately or on your own but as a previous poster said you need to do your research and be very carefull.

The cruise was a whirlwind and can only be considered a "taste" but we had never been to Europe before and just not sure if we would enjoy it and wanted the security of the ship.

Do you really think that this phenomenon is limited to Europe? Firstly let me say that any attempt to capture the essence of Rome in a week would be impossible, never mind a shore excursion! The Cistine (or Sisteen, if you prefer) Chapel is a wonder, as is the whole vatican experience. Personally, being a non-Catholic and having seen it all before, I prefer to visit the sites dating from Imperial Rome, but even then one has absolutely NO chance of appreciating these sites in one day.

I suppose it would be a bit like me getting on a bus at the quayside and saying "So this is New York .....please show me EVERYTHING of interest within the next 5 hours...oh! and let me have a photo opprtunity whenever I want".....impossible!!

I know it's frustrating when you realise that some places have so much to offer, but if you were organizing the shore excursions, how would you do it better?

Alan

Hi, Alan. How are things across the pond?

I agree with your summary of the time needed to appreciate a major city.

I just wanted to note that, if one wishes to correct someone's spelling, one should give the correct spelling.

It is the Sistine Chapel, named for the Pope during whose reign it was built, Pope Sixtus IV. (Italian: Capella Sistina)

:)

Hi, Alan. How are things across the pond?

I agree with your summary of the time needed to appreciate a major city.

I just wanted to note that, if one wishes to correct someone's spelling, one should give the correct spelling.

It is the Sistine Chapel, named for the Pope during whose reign it was built, Pope Sixtus IV. (Italian: Capella Sistina)

:)

Hi Mom,

I stand corrected. I could claim a typo, but that would be a downright lie! I have studied in Rome, Crete, Effisuss (just kidding!) during my University days-alas! So long ago that I have obviously forgotten how to spell!

I'm glad thet you are able to agree that our fellow guests will only be able to get an appetizer of the major cultural centres in Europe. Knossos in Crete is probably a prime example. I spent a month there and I reckon that I covered less than 10% of the information available. Heraklion and Pompeii are other good examples. Hpoefully the sites will pique the curiosity of some and they will return for a longer stay.

Nice to hear from you, and thanks again for putting me firmly in my place!

;)

Best wishes,

Alan

Grumm, I had to say...we LOVED Knossos! We weren't sure about that tour, but we were so glad that we did it. I got a huge kick out of the "throne potty-chair" ....DH thought I was nuts. (Maybe I am...it makes life more fun to be that way) :p I could just picture that Minotaur (spelling is probably wrong but you know what I mean) galloping all over the palace! Happy crusing!

To the OP, I feel we have some responsibility to learn a little of the language and customs of the countries we're visiting. It may have made a world of difference in your trip. I've already started on Italian and may include a little French between now and when we leave. We also have been researching tour companies and there are many that do speak English. I've been on enough cruises that I know what to expect from a ship sponsored excursion and I no longer plan on those. You get a crowded, drive by experience, that's all."

On an excursion booked thru the cruise I don't think this is practical nor would it have made a difference since the tour guide in charge of the group was attempting to present the info in English. So whether the OP or any one else in the group had attempted to learn the language of the country it really would not have mattered.

I do strongly feel that the ship has the responsiblity of offering excursions with a guide very fluent in English when most of the passengers are from the US. The excursion prices are high enough, the least the cruise line can do is make sure the guide speaks good English. Even if the passengers attempt to learn the language of the country it would be highly unlikely they would be able to learn the language well enough to understand a running presentation in that language. Although a person may be able to learn some words, phrases and sentences, learning a language fluent enough to understand a presentation is something else. Also since on a cruise the ship often stops at several ports likely there would be more than one language involved.

There's no doubt about it: You can't see much of a port on a cruise. You just don't have the time.

My family and I went on the 12-night Brilliance Mediterranean itinerary in September, 2005, and we had a great time. However, we did not go for any of those "blender" tours that OP mentioned. We chose to stick with more simple excursions, understanding the limitations of cruising. The more you try to pack into 8 hours, the less you actually see and the more frustrated you get. That was true for every

For Florence (Livorno) and Venice, we just went out on our own. We are not seasoned travellers, and we do not speak fluent Italian. We did the Pimsleur Italian I lessons, and we did a bunch of homework on Florence. Both were fun. We did book the "Florence on Your Own" excursion, which is little more than a ride into Florence and back. That was worth the price and security, in case something weird happened on the road (although I wouldn't mind finding myself stranded in Florence!). We planned a simple itinerary for ourselves in both ports, gave ourselves plenty of time to wander around, and had a great time.

In Civitavecchia, we didn't go to Rome (gasp!). If I'm going to do a whirlwind bus tour one of the world's greatest cities, I may as well just catch the Samantha Brown special on TV. Instead, we did some excursion that went to a beautiful walled city with a breathtaking view, a fantastic old church, and some family's vineyard and olive oil operation. My in-laws, who tend to want to "see as much as possible" went with us on this excursion, and they loved it.

Naples was more packed, but it never felt like it. We went to the cameo factory, Sorrento, and Pompeii. Now that I think about it, lunch in Sorrento got a bit rushed, but it also was a lot of fun. One of the stops was another family olive oil operation (also a lemon grove), and it was great.

When it comes to ports, we've learned that sightseeing bus tours pale in comparison to less rushed, simpler, experiences that allow you to relax and get a little more flavor. I'd rather do fewer things well than many things poorly.

D

Our last trip was the first time we booked private tours. The huge advantage to this was that we got to pick what we did! Our guides in Rome, Pisa/Florence and Villefranche were terrific. In Rome, we had specific things we wanted to see and got to see them all. It was a little rushed, but you don't get to Rome every day. This year on our return to Rome, we will see some of the things we didn't get to last time.

Pisa/Florence and Villefranche were a little more relaxed and we were able to see some things that I am certain the cruise excursions couldn't.

If you do some research and ask questions, you can find private tours that are safe, affordable, reliable, and will allow you to do much more with a small group than you can ever do with a large group set up by the cruise line.

Archived