New York - Time for baseball and Grease???

Miss Jolly

We are travelling from Australia via New York to Copenhagen for a 39 day HAL European cruise - how lucky are we?:D We will only be in New York for basically 2.5 full days (3 actual nights but a 10:00pm arrival).

On the Saturday we have tickets for a 1:05pm Yankees game at Yankees Stadium (yippee - my lifetime ambition:) :) :) ). I would love to take my 13 yr old daughter to the preview of Grease whilst there but only seem to be able to get tickets for the Saturday 8pm show. That is through ticketek. Are there any other suggestions for internet tickets to Grease please? Will we have time for both the baseball and Grease on the same day? (We are staying in the theatre district) My husband and son are not particularly thrilled about seeing Grease and would rather stay at the hotel and watch the American sport on TV as that in itself is a novelty for them. Will it be safe for my daughter and I to go to the theatre at night alone? They have not allocated an actual theatre as yet for the production so actual location is an unknown. Is that too risky?:confused:

Thank you for your help.

Jennie

Game should be over by 4:00PM and it is only a 15 minute subway ride to the theater district.

Be prepared for a LARGE, VERY LARGE, crush of passengers getting on the subway at Yankee stadium after the game. It truly is a crush-everyone just kind of gets on together in a big "blob". If you have time and don't want to endure that, just wait about 1/2 hour after the game and it is slightly more civilized getting on the subway.

You will be fine walking around the Theater district at night. If Grease is not in the theater district, you can flag a cab. Enjoy!!!

Greatam gave you good advice about the Yankee game and the theatre district. A play like Grease will definitely be in the theatre district. That area is safe and on a Saturday night there'll be thousands of people going to all the different shows.

Keep checking www.broadwaybox.com for tickets (regular price and discounts) on broadway shows. So far there's nothing up for Grease yet. You can also check www.playbill.com for any news about the date previews start and the actual theatre where Grease will be playing. Just do a search on that website.

Enjoy your stay in NYC and I know you're going to enjoy that cruise. Sounds fantastic.

Pat

It looks like Ticketmaster.com is selling tickets for Grease.

I also think you won't have a problem time-wise. Even if the game runs long, in all likelihood it will be over by 5. Taking into account how long it can take just to get out of the stadium, walk back to the subway, wait for the train (if it's really crowded, you might have to skip the first train and wait for a second one), and the subway ride itself, you still should be back in the Theater District by 6 - enough time to grab a quick snack before the show or to freshen up back in your hotel room.

I also agree that the Theater District (Times Square) is perfectly safe to walk around. Ever since it was Disneyfied 10-15 years ago, it has become safer and safer.

The average professional baseball game is over three hours(the average last year was about 3 hours 15 minutes)...but even with that you should have no problem. There are two subway stations at the Stadium an IRT and a BMT line. The IRT is above ground and goes down the east side of manhattan and the trains have a number. The Trains below ground level are the IND and have a letter for the the train. Take the lettered ones back and they will stop near the Grease station. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes once you are on the train. The subway people put on extra trains and by 1/2 hour after the game is over you will have no problem...just a long day. If you want to get into the Monument park(where they have the monuments to the Yankees of old) you need to get there early as they close them at least one hour and probably two hours before. They have batting practice before the game and its a good time to catch a ball...

Be careful with Grease as it is not out yet. If it gets bad reviews, it can close before you get here. Of course it can get great reviews but who knows? There are so many other great shows on broadway now, try for another one.

Oh No! Ticketmaster has no Grease seats available on the Saturday night or even Sunday matinee. Now what do I do. Please Help.

Jennie

If your heart is set on Grease, you can try buying the tickets on StubHub.com. Be forewarned: the tickets won't be cheap, especially if the shows that you want are already sold out.

That sounds like an AWESOME trip!

The only thing I would suggest is that you see ANY OTHER show besides GREASE!!!! :eek:

There are so many good shows right now (not sure when you will be here?) that are not "re-runs"! So...unless for some reason you REALLY have your heart set on it....

You and your daughter might like any of the Disney shows onstage right now -- especially Beauty and the Beast (which is closing in July), Lion King, Tarzan, or especially Mary Poppins! (I've seen them all and they are all GREAT fun!)

In addition, there are great shows like Phantom of the Opera, Hairspray, Chicago, Jersey Boys, Mama Mia, Spamalot, and Wicked that would be much more elaborate Broadway experiences than the re-staging of Grease is going to be.

Many of the tickets will be more available, too, as they have been running for a while now.

If I can answer any other questions about the shows mentioned, just let me know!

:)

That sounds like an AWESOME trip!

The only thing I would suggest is that you see ANY OTHER show besides GREASE!!!! :eek:

There are so many good shows right now (not sure when you will be here?) that are not "re-runs"! So...unless for some reason you REALLY have your heart set on it....

You and your daughter might like any of the Disney shows onstage right now -- especially Beauty and the Beast (which is closing in July), Lion King, Tarzan, or especially Mary Poppins! (I've seen them all and they are all GREAT fun!)

In addition, there are great shows like Phantom of the Opera, Hairspray, Chicago, Jersey Boys, Mama Mia, Spamalot, and Wicked that would be much more elaborate Broadway experiences than the re-staging of Grease is going to be.

Many of the tickets will be more available, too, as they have been running for a while now.

If I can answer any other questions about the shows mentioned, just let me know!

Thanks for the advice. My daughter will be almost 14 when we arrive in New York. She knows Grease quite well and has performed the songs herself so that is why I thought that it would be a suitable choice. The comments here are making me change my mind though. I would like her to see a "grand broadway production" as ahe likes to perform herself. However, her age makes it a little difficult to select WHICH show to see. What would you suggest please? Thank you. Jennie

I would pick Wicked. It is probably the best show right now.

Both of you will enjoy it. My daughter is 17 and we saw it a few months ago.

She is also a singer. She and her friends loved it. We went in for a weekend and we took 2 of her friends with us.

Hairspray is a fun show. She would like that. Mamma Mia is fun. Legally blonde

will open in april

Personally I only did disney shows when my daughter was 12 and under. She outgrew those kind of shows by then. Although beauty and the beast is quite wonderful, I believe it is closing in the early summer. Nearly everyone loves that show. Your daughter would probably really enjoy that one too.

The color purple is supposed to be very good.

les miserables is wonderful.

I also think Wicked is a great show. Great concept, wonderful production value and costuming, good songs - what more do you need in a Broadway show? Unfortunately, it might not be easy to get tickets for Wicked either.

Yes I agree - I think she has actually outgrown Disney shows although I still enjoy them. LOL! Can you tell me about the Wicked show please? Are there any appropriate shows with "big name" stars as where we live in Australia, we don't get to see too many. (Gosh, that makes us sound like country bumpkins doesn't it).Jennie

Wicked is a prequel of sorts to the Wizard of Oz, more so the book than the movie. The play tells the story of the Wicked Witch of the West and the Good Witch of the North, but the catch is that the story covers their formative years when the two were actually teenage friends at the same school. The play goes on to tell the tale of the circumstances that cause each woman to develop into the iconic characters that we all know so well from the movie.

Thanks everyone. I have managed to book tickets for myself and daughter to see Wicked. What a day we'll have - Yankees in the afternoon and Broadway in the night. I guess I could only cap that off by shopping in the morning. LOL! Thank you again for your advice - I had not looked in to Wicked beforehand but am now looking forward to it.

Jennie

Taking an almost 14 year old daughter to see the Yankees, Wicked on broadway, and then shopping. I want to be your daughter. The two of you are going to have such a great time and probably want to book a week in New York for your next vacation.

Wicked is a great show, but there is a new show called Curtains opening March 22 with David Hyde Pierce that was fantastic. I am betting when it is reviewed, the tickets will quickly sell out. Music was fantastic, it was funny, the sets were great and the dancing was terrific.

The only show I would tell you to stay away from was Tarzan. Apart from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ( I don't want to tell you the nickname many people gave that show) , which is long gone, it was the dullest Disney show I ever saw.

Thanks everyone. I have managed to book tickets for myself and daughter to see Wicked. What a day we'll have - Yankees in the afternoon and Broadway in the night. I guess I could only cap that off by shopping in the morning. LOL! Thank you again for your advice - I had not looked in to Wicked beforehand but am now looking forward to it.

Jennie

EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!

Now....drop everything and go buy the CD so you'll know all the "WICKED" music before you get here! It's AWESOME!

Have fun...and enjoy your visit to the Empire State!

Archived