Those driving to Galveston from the West this weekend

Just FYI, I-10 is going to be totally closed down in both directions. see news story below

From 11 News Staff Reports

Drivers who have to take the Katy Freeway this weekend may face traffic tie-ups.

That’s because staring at 9 p.m. Friday, I-10 will be shut down in both directions between Highway 6 and Eldridge Parkway.

The Addicks Park and Ride ramp is being demolished.

Traffic will be detoured from the area until 5 a.m. Monday

Here is something someone posted on the road closure blog on the same site

I-10 Katy Freeway eastbound and westbound from Highway 6 to ELDRIDGE PARKWAY. TOTAL CLOSURE. Closed continuously from 9:00 PM, Friday, March 9 to 5:00 AM, Monday, March 12. Detour to the frontage road. They are supposed to have you onto new concrete come Monday morning. But for the weekend it will be an enormous mess. If you live north of I-10 use Clay Rd. If you live South of I-10 use Westheimer Parkway or F.M. 1093.

Anyway just letting those coming and going via I-10 to or from San Antonio/Katy, etc, know.

Here's an option for those in the west.

From I-10:

Take Grand Parkway (Texas 99) exit and head south to US Alt. 90.

Turn right on Alt. 90 East to Hwy 6.

Turn right on Hwy 6 South.

Stay on Hwy 6 until it merges with I-45 South.

That's my normal route to Galveston. It's about an hour - 1.5 hour drive depending on traffic.

If you happen to have one of the Texas Tollway tags, you could also take the Grand Parkway south to the Westpark Tollway east which would then intersect with Beltway 8 (also a toll road). Westpark Tollway is open only to those with the tags as it has no toll booths so it may not be convenient for everyone. Just another option if it "fits".

Kyriecat, isn't that LEFT on 90A East to Hwy 6????

Aghhh, we will be driving from San Antonio to Galveston on Monday morning (3/12). Should we do the route desecribed by Kyriecat?

It is supposed to be reopened by Monday morning and they are good about it from what I can tell, sometimes even getting them open a little early.

the local news I saw this on was KHOU so went to KHOU.com and found the information.

If you happen to have one of the Texas Tollway tags, you could also take the Grand Parkway south to the Westpark Tollway east which would then intersect with Beltway 8 (also a toll road). Westpark Tollway is open only to those with the tags as it has no toll booths so it may not be convenient for everyone. Just another option if it "fits".

Kyriecat, isn't that LEFT on 90A East to Hwy 6????

Yep! How embarrassing. As my husband has told me at least a thousand times - it's your other right.

Add to the nightmare that a lot of Houston ISD schools are on spring break next week so I am sure traffic is going to be a bit heavier this weekend heading out to Galveston.

Archived