Windstar Sale Update

shirlr

For what it's worth....

I received some inside information on the current status of the Windstar team in the Seattle office. The sale came as a complete surprise to them, no one had any idea a change was in the works. They are still walking around in a state of shock. People who have worked for Windstar for most of their career are suddenly adrift. The reservations agents have been told that there will be positions in Holland America reservations for them (no promises) but the sales and marketing team is probably up the creek. No one from Majestic has been in the office to talk to them and no employment at Majestic has been offered. What this means is that it's highly likely that, before too long, all reservations and operations will be handled by people without experience or knowledge on the ships and itineraries. My contact also told me that the word around the office is that the crew onboard the ships will be given the option to transfer to the HAL ships or be without a job.

I also heard from a captain who I have sailed with on two past Windstar sailings. He said Majestic will be using a different manning agency for officers than the one currently used for Windstar. He has sent them a resume but has not heard back.

Not to be an alarmist, but things are definitely going to change at Windstar. Whether it's for the better or worse remains to be seen.

We were onboard WindSpirit when the sale took place. In St Martin, the ship was visited by representatives of both the old and the new companies to meet and explain to the crew what was happening.

While the crew was very apprehensive before, they came out of the meeting with jobs, and feeling very content that they were all offered their jobs with the new company.

Of course there will be changes, but often change is for the better. Why not look at it with a positive attitude, and wait and see...

HAL, after all, was a very big fish managing a small luxury operation. The change could be good.

I too have heard much of what ShirlR reports; it was a big surprise.

V Ships is taking over the management of the ships and we hear early April but that much will remain the same, at least for the short term. The deal is supposed to close in early April.

If it's any consolation, David Giersdorf, the head of Majestic America, is a former senior exec. with Windstar and what I've been told is he knows those ships intimately and loves them...so it could be a positive move for Windstar. We'll have to see. We'll continue to cover changes on Cruise Critic but also appreciate any insights you have....

Saw Wind Spirit today in St. John...looked gorgeous.

Carolyn

Editor

CruiseCritic

We were onboard WindSpirit when the sale took place. In St Martin, the ship was visited by representatives of both the old and the new companies to meet and explain to the crew what was happening.

While the crew was very apprehensive before, they came out of the meeting with jobs, and feeling very content that they were all offered their jobs with the new company.

Of course there will be changes, but often change is for the better. Why not look at it with a positive attitude, and wait and see...

HAL, after all, was a very big fish managing a small luxury operation. The change could be good.

I too have heard much of what ShirlR reports; it was a big surprise.

V Ships is taking over the management of the ships and we hear early April but that much will remain the same, at least for the short term. The deal is supposed to close in early April.

If it's any consolation, David Giersdorf, the head of Majestic America, is a former senior exec. with Windstar and what I've been told is he knows those ships intimately and loves them...so it could be a positive move for Windstar. We'll have to see. We'll continue to cover changes on Cruise Critic but also appreciate any insights you have....

Saw Wind Spirit today in St. John...looked gorgeous.

Carolyn

Editor

CruiseCritic

Thanks for the update. I'm sure that all of us that love the Windstar ships will appreciate any information that you can provide.

• 2 weeks later...

We have not one, but two, Windsurf cruises alraedy booked for later this year (three weeks total) so this pending sale disturbs me somewhat. I was already disappointed to hear that our favorite Captain (John) just told a friend of ours who met him on a recent Holland America cruise that he wouldn't be back on Windstar "anytme soon". I am not sure if he already knew about the sale then or not. (It was in February.) Having been on 5 previous Windstar sailings (3 with John), we were really looking forward to the next two and seeing the big redo of the Surf since we were last on it a couple of years ago.

I will try to stay optimistic and hope for the best.

Anyone who has more info, please keep the rest of us posted.

Thanks!

We have not one, but two, Windsurf cruises alraedy booked for later this year (three weeks total) so this pending sale disturbs me somewhat. I was already disappointed to hear that our favorite Captain (John) just told a friend of ours who met him on a recent Holland America cruise that he wouldn't be back on Windstar "anytme soon". I am not sure if he already knew about the sale then or not. (It was in February.) Having been on 5 previous Windstar sailings (3 with John), we were really looking forward to the next two and seeing the rbig edo of the Surf since we were last on it a couple of years ago.

I will try to stay optimistic and hope for the best.

Anyone who has more info, please keep the rest of us posted.

Thanks!

Patty

I heard yesterday from an very reliable inside source that virtually no one from HAL is going over to Majesty. Many have already taken new positions at HAL. The word on the street is that the crew members will most likely tranfer to the HAL ships when the sale is final. By the way, HAL is turning over all operations next month.

Everone at HAL is still in shock.

I heard yesterday from an very reliable inside source that virtually no one from HAL is going over to Majesty. Many have already taken new positions at HAL. The word on the street is that the crew members will most likely tranfer to the HAL ships when the sale is final. By the way, HAL is turning over all operations next month.

Everone at HAL is still in shock.

Shirl, certainly not the greatest news, but also not unexpected.

Maybe since all of us on this board appeciated WindStar for what it was, small beautiful ship, outstanding service and a relaxed dress code (no formal nights etc.), wonderful food, along with interesting ports of call, those of you who have experienced cruises that offered some of what we all loved about The Windstar ships could share those experiences with us. While I truly loved our cruises on Hal and Celebrity I thought we had really found a home on the Windstar and this is a huge disappointment. We are ready to plan another cruise but truefully not prepared to take a second on our home to do so!:D

Shirley

I think people need to give the new management team a chance to deliver before the funeral dirges are sung. I have taken one Wind Surf cruise in the past and had a good time. That said, I had the chance to take a more upscale cruise line since then and it made Windstar's shortcomings very apparent ... Windstar has plenty of room for improvement. If the "inside information" source didn't know about the impending sale or if it was a "big surprise", well, that's the way the law and the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) want it to be to prevent insider trading. Change is often difficult but I'm wondering if it is prudent to "pre-judge" it in this case.

Windstar is in a difficult position. It offers a more upscale product than Star Clippers but it is not on the level of RSSC, Sea Dream and Seabourn. Those pretty sails look "gorgeous" from a distance, but once on board you certainly notice the not-too-impressively sized cabins, the "pidgin" English speaking staff and a watersports platform on the Wind Surf which was in-op for a very LONG time.

The Sea Dream board seems to be very happy with their product which is operated by a smaller company. The change of management might just be the shot-in-the-arm Windstar needs to become more viable in an ever more competitive market.

I think people need to give the new management team a chance to deliver before the funeral dirges are sung. I have taken one Wind Surf cruise in the past and had a good time. That said, I had the chance to take a more upscale cruise line since then and it made Windstar's shortcomings very apparent ... Windstar has plenty of room for improvement. If the "inside information" source didn't know about the impending sale or if it was a "big surprise", well, that's the way the law and the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) want it to be to prevent insider trading. Change is often difficult but I'm wondering if it is prudent to "pre-judge" it in this case.

Windstar is in a difficult position. It offers a more upscale product than Star Clippers but it is not on the level of RSSC, Sea Dream and Seabourn. Those pretty sails look "gorgeous" from a distance, but once on board you certainly notice the not-too-impressively sized cabins, the "pidgin" English speaking staff and a watersports platform on the Wind Surf which was in-op for a very LONG time.

The Sea Dream board seems to be very happy with their product which is operated by a smaller company. The change of management might just be the shot-in-the-arm Windstar needs to become more viable in an ever more competitive market.

I agree thta the Windstar series is not on the same level as Sea Dream. Of course it is not on the same price scale either. Comparing the two, Sea Dream seems to be about 25% higher than Windstar. This is a significant difference and should result in significantly different service. Also, just because the crew does not have perfect english does not mean that they do not provide good service.

I don't believe anyone is projecting the immediate death of Windstar. Just a concern about the future. If you look at the MAL boards, they project significantly higher prices. Right now Windstar is in a very good spot. Prices are in an area between the top of the line cruises and the mass marketed ships. Service is also between the two. If they raise the prices to that of Sea Dream or RSSC then they will knock out many of the current passengers and will not be competitive unless they significantly raise the level of service to be similar to that of Sea Dream and RSSC.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree thta the Windstar series is not on the same level as Sea Dream. Of course it is not on the same price scale either. Comparing the two, Sea Dream seems to be about 25% higher than Windstar. This is a significant difference and should result in significantly different service. Also, just because the crew does not have perfect english does not mean that they do not provide good service.

I don't believe anyone is projecting the immediate death of Windstar. Just a concern about the future. If you look at the MAL boards, they project significantly higher prices. Right now Windstar is in a very good spot. Prices are in an area between the top of the line cruises and the mass marketed ships. Service is also between the two. If they raise the prices to that of Sea Dream or RSSC then they will knock out many of the current passengers and will not be competitive unless they significantly raise the level of service to be similar to that of Sea Dream and RSSC.

Interesting that I should find this post as I am trying to decide between SeaDream and Windstar. I am a huge SeaDream fan - but I need to get to a wedding in St Thomas so I was looking for a quick and cheaper option. I looked at the December 8th St Thomas sailing for both and found Windstar to be $2499 and SeaDream to be $2799. Now this is a no brainer to me - I will book SeaDream - because at that price, I will have a suite, will have my tips already taken care of, won't pay a penny for cocktails, soda or water and will have exceptional cuisine and service. Don't you think that those who select Windstar will end up with a bill that is higher than SeaDream? I realize that SeaDream CAN be quite a bit higher than Windstar at times, but most of the time the difference is justified by the inclusions and the very fact that you need to be comparing the suites on Windstar to the starting price on SeaDream since there are nothing but suites.

Archived