What makes a good CD???

airlink diva

One thing that I notice is alot of talk about Cruise Directors. Some like them, some hate them.

What I want to know is what makes a good cruise director and how do they enhance the cruise for you?? No bashing, but what makes one stands out. Mind you weekly they are dealing with thousands of people that are different from each other. How would you handle the job?

Cruise directors don't make or break a cruise for me. But, I have had a couple good ones. Those were the guys who were out mingling with the passengers, and making sure everyone was having a good time. They were also very visible and available to passengers. So many CD's are never seen except for the shows they MC or take part in. Those are the ones I don't like and don't even remember their names.

On the Voyager of the Seas, we had a CD who was very visible on that ship. He was everywhere. One morning about 2:00 am, he was walking the Promenade deck and we asked him when he slept. He said he was going to bed after he was done checking the decks and then while we went to shore the next morning.

We had one on the Spirit who was so drunk most of the time, he couldn't do his job. He no longer works for Carnival.

Well, that's my take on it.

Not arrogant...I have had those CD's....but mostly just be fun, hopefully funny, and not being annoying!

Cruise Directors don't make it or break it for us either...but they can enhance the trip!

I won't bash the bad one we had but like the other poster...a good one is visible, doesn't take him or herself too seriously, is approachable.

Recently on the Fascination, Danny Blake was visible at different activities with his staff. He was approachable after shore talks and the disembarkation talk. He even pokes fun at himself....on the final day capers it lists the following activity: 5 pm: Danny's nap time location: bed

I liked that.

The best job a CD does is the things you will never know about ...unless they don't get done...then it can affect your cruise. (games. shows, scheduling, etc)

Archived