Splendour of the Seas

GMC

My wife and I are going on the Splendour from Tampa, Fla in December. I am looking for any information...past experiences...hotels where we can stay and park for the week...cruise ports Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman and Belize. Whew!! Any and all information will be appreciated.

Thanx

HI, I havent been on your ship, but I can help out with your ports.

Cozumel - We rented mopeds and went around the island, then spent the afternoon lounging in carlos n' charlies (Bar). ALso great shopping downtown (8 buck cab ride from the pier, about 4 miles)

Costa Maya, - Not really much here, Great opportunity if you like mayan ruins. Not for me though. you come in to a long pier that has a tram ride for those who arent up for the walk. IT is about 30 shops surrounding a pool. When we were there over spring break we just chilled in the pool area listened to the band and had a few drinks. (i think 3 bars around the pool area)

Grand Cayman = EXPENSIVE! Good snorkeling, not too much else to do there. If you do shopping you will also notice $$$$$$$ We took a bus tram ride around the island and went to hell (rock formation), turtle farm, and just went around to a few other sites. If you are looking for somthing to do when you tender in, just go to the end of the dock where your tenders land and you will find some cheep tours.

Belize - Havent been there, sorry I couldnt help

Scott

I too will be taking a cruise on the Splendour the week of February 19, 2005. This will be my first cruise and I'm looking forward to going. Our group is flying into Tampa on the 18th and we are, of course, looking for hotels as well.

I dont know about all of you.. but we are going 2/5/05 and many of the hotels are already sold out...I dont know what your looking to spend.. or if any hotel will do.. or if your looking to stay in a particular area...

You may want to try the Wyndham or the Marriott as they are both within walking distance to the pier.. also if that does not matter you can try the Marriott in the airport.. i hear they have people there that actually come to the baggage pick up and get you and your bags...

Tom

The info I have on Belize is Shark Ray Alley is suppose to be good..& The Mayan Ruins tour thru the ship is 3 1/2 hr @$45. which includes 50 min driving time each way.....also thru the ship is "A tale of 2 Cities", 4 1/2 hr @$45.00, they do suggest that you do NOT venture out of the city after dusk, and that the beach is not that nice. SO...our choices are limited. Hope this helps.

We’re going on the same cruise Feb. 12, 2005! :D So let’s see,

GMC is going 12/04

Patty is going 1/05 (We’re buckeyes too; where are you?)

Tom (plyman69) is going 2/5/05

Suzy B (me) is going 2/12/05

Got2bsunny is going 2/19/05

missmeto is going in March ’05

Wow! This must be a popular itinerary. Although husband & I are the only ones signed up for the M & M. Is everyone else’s M & M sign up going slow too?

I was sort of curious as to why the price is so much more the week after we sail? In fact, the cost of the exact same stateroom (Grand Suite) is $1,000 more (total for 2) than what we paid. :eek: Is the week of Feb. 19th the start of spring break? We couldn’t understand why the price would be so much more. :confused: Thank goodness we got married February 16, 2000 & not the following week. (Yes, it’s our 25th Wedding Anniversary Cruise! Husbands brilliant idea & I wasn’t about to say no! );)

Thanks for all the interesting comments about the different islands. They are so helpful!

If anyone could post a review when they return, I’m sure it would be much appreciated by all! Wishing everyone a Wonderful time! :)

Aloha,

Suzy B

For some, spring break does happen about that time.

The agent that I went through had the cruise prices listed for the end of January to the last week of February all at the same price. The only price the jumped was for the Jr. Suite. The agency I used is local to the area where I live and focuses on Charter flights and Cruises.

The TA actually owns its own charter airline which keeps the cost down and it's a fairly decent, just as comfortable and much cheaper than flying NWA!

The reason the cost might be higher is because President's Holiday is on the 19th I think. Some people might be taking advantage of an extra free day and not having to use vacation.

As to the ports there is wonderful information under the Ports of Call section of this board.

I will tell you what we did in the ports that you listed.

Belize ... 1st cruise we went to Xunantunich Ruins through the ship.... great tour. 2nd time their we found a local guide at the pier and he took us into town and some local sights close to the pier. On our last cruise we had to wait on a tour that was booked with the ship coming back late. If I was going to a ruin I would book with the ship.

Grand Cayman We did the Sting Ray Alley with a local guide. We did not pre pay for the tour in case we couldn't tender. It was wonderful.... we will do it again when we go back.

Cozumel. 1st time used a local company Eagle Ray Diving and had a wonderful snorkling trip. 2nd time rented a Jeep and went to Punta Sur, Coconuts for lunch, into town to Carlos & Charlie... been there done that won't do it again, shopped downtown.... then to Paradise Beach which is free except for drinks and food. When we go back we will probably rent a car again and try to get another couple with us and drive the entire island and end up at Paradise Beach.

The Ports of Call thread has wonderful information.

Can't help with Costa Maya.... haven't been there.

I really loved Splendour. We took a cruise in the Med following our first with RCCL Navigator and we just loved the ship, it´s crew and justabout everything else. I thought it was in really superb condition and I know you will just love it.

Fredrik

• 1 month later...

Suzyb-

My wife and I will be on the Splendour 2/12 too. I just started a "Roll Call" thread on the other board. I didnt sign for the M&M meeting but will soon. Talk to you later. I only hear positive things about the Splendour. Cant wait!-Harry

We sailed on Splendour in Med in May... Beautifull ship, lots of glass, nice autrium! :) Very friendly service... We're not very impressed with food but definitely weren't hungry. ;)

If your waitress will be Oana Makabei , please say hello form Yury and Natalia. Thanks.

If you sail with kids/teens Splendour has rock-climbing wall and 18 holes mini golf.

Standard cabins are on smaller side but very well planned.

We've been on the Splendour 2 times. I like the ship. To me it was a bit easier to find your way around. It's very nice.

Your stop in Mexico is where I would suggest you pick up any gifts for others. By far it is the cheapest port. You can get some good buys there. Also, they have regular police around the main strip etc. Tourism is big business and they want to make sure their visitors do not experience any problems. I felt very comfortable.

On the Grand, my son and I took the Sting Ray City tour. It is unbelievable!

I had it in my head that our tour would anchor in some little bay area away from others. Boy was I wrong. They don't call it a "City" for nothing. I can't tell you how many boats their were ... it was wall to wall people when you were in the water. It was a great experience and highly recommend it if you are adventurous. If you do choose to see the Sting Rays, go on a early tour . By the time we got to the site, the sting Rays were already full from taking food from eariler visitors.

The Slpendour has earned its name. Have a wonderful trip. :)

Archived