13 night transatlantic $449 Wow!

We are taking the 4/15 Jewel TA & it is full. I think the difference between the 2 ships is the itinerary. We looked at Splendour, but found the ports lacking compared to the Jewel. However, if the price had been then, what it is now, we probably would have taken it! :cool:

Also, those who are interested, but want to visit other European places besides Spain - airfare within Europe is cheap, $50-$100 pp one way.

Regarding airfare from Spain to U.S.- some folks buy round trip to get a much better deal & then get credit for the half not used; just use credit within 1 year & pay a small change fee. Some even just throw away the unused leg.

Great deal! To those who take it - have a great time!

Spunds cheap, but you need to triple that for most people by the time they add airfare. Which still makes it a bargain, but that much compared to say an 11 day on Empress (where you get to see a port almost everyday) at $800 and $400 airfare.

Triple? Not hardly. Our airfare is $769 out of El Paso, that is less than double by my calculations and many on our sailing did their own airfare for around $500-$600. The other thing is, we don't want a port everyday. Many of us have already been there, done that...............Single supp was also very low: $140

Thanks! I just took a look at the Splendour deck plans and the Splendour is a tad bit smaller, but the basis layout is similar to the Grandeur.

What about sea days in the spring and fall. That fall trip would be better. Isn't it cold?

The weather on the spring crossings is just like springtime in the U.S. for the warmer areas. We had temps between 68-78 on the crossing, slight bit of rain once. I have heard from friends that the fall is a little bit bumpier :D! More than likely a bit cooler as well. We are planning on the fall crossing this year as well and will probably book that onboard. Hey Sonnykub! :p

Just browsing the cruises available out of galveston and I saw this available on Splendour. I cant jump on this one for myself but 35$ a day - Kick grandpa off the lazy boy and out the door - they are giving it away. Thats got to be the best bargain I've seen.

Hi there,

I was directed to the posts here from one of our fellow cruisers and you're right - this is a great deal! If you had to pay for airfare on your own from Barcelona, it would be expensive and they've been giving deals like crazy on here. I just got back from a cruise in December and wasn't planning on another one so soon but a few family members decided to book so I followed in their footsteps. In case you're wondering, airfare from LAX is $889 plus around $120 for the taxes so a great deal indeed! I also booked at a good time and am getting $100 shipboard credit.

If you're interested, there is still good space left!

Spunds cheap, but you need to triple that for most people by the time they add airfare. Which still makes it a bargain, but that much compared to say an 11 day on Empress (where you get to see a port almost everyday) at $800 and $400 airfare.

Hi there,

Don't know if you've ever sailed on the Empress but a good friend of mine who's a veteran RCI cruiser (he has at least 75+ cruises with them already) was on that ship in December and will never saild on it again. It's not an original RCI ship - it's a leftover from Admiral and he said it was horrible. Doesn't even compare to the newer RCI ships. They should really scrap it as it's really in a "class by itself" now. I also like the extra days at sea - gives us plenty of time to do trivia and just relax.

Triple? Not hardly. Our airfare is $769 out of El Paso, that is less than double by my calculations and many on our sailing did their own airfare for around $500-$600. The other thing is, we don't want a port everyday. Many of us have already been there, done that...............Single supp was also very low: $140

Hi julieanne, you are right. Paid $502pp, includes taxes and travel insurance from Barcelona to Texas.

Maybe, we should keep our secret and the prices will go down again:)

We love the sea days

How would this work out? We live near Dallas we could drive to Galveston and we know of a nice hotel which lets you leave your car there while your on a cruise for free.. Ok this sounds good so far but its gonna get messier as we go on.. Ok we board the ship in Galveston, go and have 13 days of joy on the Transatlantic.. We get to Barcelona, its time to fly home, but we can't fly to Dallas since we left our car in Galveston. We will have to fly to Houston airport and figure ot some way to get ourselves back to Galveston. Maybe a cab or limo? Cost? Also how long will we be in the air?? Is it a nonstop flight.. Should we book airfare through Rccl? Thanks everyone.. Seriously do want to do this cruise. Our favorite waiter and his assistant and maitre'd are on this ship.. I would love to dine with them again.

We are doing the BOS..with all fee's, etc d1 balcony was 910 a person and were given 125 shipboard credit and dinner for 2 at either specialty rest.

Air from NYC to Mia was 69 on AA and air bak from barcelona on Swiss was 375. Booked the air for the 2 of us, for what RCCL wanted for one, There are some great websites to find one-way air deals.., one of the best sites for all air is http://www.itasoftware.com, log in as guest, can not buy from this site, but they give you all the codes and info to go to the carriers, etc.

We're doing the same thing, we booked our own air too, for less than RCL prices. Swiss is definitely the best way to go back JFK. Though we are using ATA from LGA to Houston Hobby then a rental car down to Galveston.

And to get back and forth from the NYC to our home in CT we're having family members cart us around :-)

How would this work out? We live near Dallas we could drive to Galveston and we know of a nice hotel which lets you leave your car there while your on a cruise for free.. Ok this sounds good so far but its gonna get messier as we go on.. Ok we board the ship in Galveston, go and have 13 days of joy on the Transatlantic.. We get to Barcelona, its time to fly home, but we can't fly to Dallas since we left our car in Galveston. We will have to fly to Houston airport and figure ot some way to get ourselves back to Galveston. Maybe a cab or limo? Cost? Also how long will we be in the air?? Is it a nonstop flight.. Should we book airfare through Rccl? Thanks everyone.. Seriously do want to do this cruise. Our favorite waiter and his assistant and maitre'd are on this ship.. I would love to dine with them again.

Ocean, You'd probably have to fly back into IAH. I found some great fares using Orbitz and Sidestep. There are also a few postings on our roll call board as to the price of a shuttle from to/from the pier. There is only a limited time to get the air from RCI. You may want to price it out, then call RCI and see what they offer. Depending on flights back, you could be in the air anywhere from 9 to 13 hours or more with 1-3 stops. Flights are filling fast, so I would check it out! You should definitely stay over a night in Barcelona if you have never been :)!

Hi Joy! Big wave from NM! We have new cruisers everyday on the roll call board and you'd better come join us! We haven't seen you in a while!

We are doing the BOS..with all fee's, etc d1 balcony was 910 a person and were given 125 shipboard credit and dinner for 2 at either specialty rest.

Air from NYC to Mia was 69 on AA and air bak from barcelona on Swiss was 375. Booked the air for the 2 of us, for what RCCL wanted for one, There are some great websites to find one-way air deals.., one of the best sites for all air is www.itasoftware.com, log in as guest, can not buy from this site, but they give you all the codes and info to go to the carriers, etc.

Very cool! Thank you! I am going to give it a try for the next cruise!

How would this work out?

Are you set on having your car, and driving from Dallas to Galveston?

Might be worth asking if RCCL still does the motorcoach from Dallas to Galveston, that way, you only have to get a flight back from BCN-DFW. Or, alternatively, take a flight from DFW or DAL to IAH or HOU, get a cab or shuttle to the ship, and then only worry about getting back to DFW, where you can get back to anywhere in the metroplex.

I used to live in Irving/Las Colinas, so when I had to travel for work, there was an airport bus that'd cost me a grand total of $2, and brought me directly to the terminal at DFW. If I lived out in Plano or something...I don't think I'd do it due to the length of the journey and possible transfers...but..depends on where you are. TRE isn't a bad journey, taking a bus when you get to the Centrepoint/DFW stop. :)

Regarding "B.I.S. and Transit Time" (Butt in Seat), I don't think there's any nonstops to DFW from BCN. Even flying American, you can transfer in London, or if you want to stick with OneWorld, something like Barcelona to Madrid to Miami to Dallas. Something more direct, with one stop in Atlanta, Newark, or Frankfurt, will probably be about 15 hours. More connections (for a possibly cheaper flight), will probably be closer to 18-20.

RCCL will probably charge $739+ for the Air/Sea package from DFW, if you want to compare that to what you can get on your own...

-Steve

I saw the deal posted as well and thought 'wow'....but we have been on Splendor in the Med for 7 days and then went across the pond on a celebrity ship, the millenium. It made me a celebrity fan. Splendor doesn't cater to the extras that make your trip special, but then again at the ridiculous price they are charging one wouldn't expect extras I suppose. My husband was intrigued until I told him it the Splendor, so we didn't persue it. But what a deal if you are just into relaxing by the pool and chilling.

Just browsing the cruises available out of galveston and I saw this available on Splendour. I cant jump on this one for myself but 35$ a day - Kick grandpa off the lazy boy and out the door - they are giving it away. Thats got to be the best bargain I've seen.

Wish I could take advantage of some of these deals. I priced out the Navigator transatlantic for my parents and they could get a balcony on a 12 day transatlantic for $679 pp. The airfare from Southhampton back home was almost double the price of the cruise, though :rolleyes: .

Wish I could take advantage of some of these deals. I priced out the Navigator transatlantic for my parents and they could get a balcony on a 12 day transatlantic for $679 pp. The airfare from Southhampton back home was almost double the price of the cruise, though :rolleyes: .

I would suggest looking at the above thread about the ITA software (it works great!) and pricing it from there. I also found that sometimes 2 roundtrips may be cheaper. RCCL does get some great deals on the air as well. Although the air may seem high from the cruiseline, when you have to factor in the transfers, etc, they do pretty well!

I saw the deal posted as well and thought 'wow'....but we have been on Splendor in the Med for 7 days and then went across the pond on a celebrity ship, the millenium. It made me a celebrity fan. Splendor doesn't cater to the extras that make your trip special, but then again at the ridiculous price they are charging one wouldn't expect extras I suppose. My husband was intrigued until I told him it the Splendor, so we didn't persue it. But what a deal if you are just into relaxing by the pool and chilling.

May I ask "what cater to the extras that make your trip special" are you referring to? I've never been on any cruise yet where all there was to do was relax by the pool and chill.

Admittedly, the Splendour will always have a special place in my heart, as it is the ship that ultimately made my dear spouse fall in love with cruising. That alone will always make me biased towards this lovely ship.

Admittedly, it's from the "classic" style of cruising. There's one dining room, and there's a buffet for more casual dining. There's no specialty restaurants, which means that you'll actually interact more with your fellow cruisers, rather than be so spread out on board. There's simple pools, no wave boards, overhang hottubs, or whatnot. It's a pool, simply done, although the crystal canopy over the solarium, as well as the luxurious roman decor is quite enjoyable for us.

Another thing that really does it for me is the expansive glass of the Centrum, followed by the lovely openness of the dining room, which is basically 2 decks worth of glass that overlooks the seas. Many calming walks before dinner along the promenade deck were spent waving to our server before late dining, as well as experiencing some of the most spectacular sunsets on our 12 night cruise. I love walking that deck, hand-in-hand, a deck that provided such an easy walk, and a private getaway for a smooch or two. :)

We enjoyed the 42 Street Theatre, especially the "couple seats" that allowed us to sit together without a bar in between us. Same goes for the seating in the Centrum, Schooner Bar, and Viking Crown Lounge. So many ships have seats for just one, but it's nice to be able to actually sit next to your partner.

I enjoyed the setup of the Windjammer, actually being able to enjoy a wonderful view of the front of the ship when it was too warm, and then being able to enjoy dining "en plein air" without crowds or much hassle.

During our daily afternoon ritual, we'd go to the sauna before dinner, and shave/clean up to look presentable before dinner. Sometimes, we'd enjoy spa treatments as well. Whatever we did, we always took time to enjoy the deck in the back of the ship by the Shipshape center, and we were usually the only ones there.

One afternoon while in the sauna with some of the ship's officers and staff, they told us to follow them. With towel wrapped around us, and an extra one in tow (as they suggested), we walked through the glass doors to the deck, and a lovely flood of liquid sunshine enveloped us. While cooler than the sauna, but still warm Caribbean rain nonetheless, we stood there in the rain, enveloped by this lovely deluge of water in the middle of the sea. Better than any shower I've ever had.

A cruise is what you make of it. The Splendour has everything I really ever need, and even a few things I want. Specialty dining is nice, and so are some of the new features on some of the larger ships. However, sometimes it's nice to go back to a simpler time, a time where just enjoying the company of people you're with and your surroundings, just taking time to smell the salty ocean air, and enjoy the breeze going by as you're swaying with the waves.

-Steve

Admittedly, the Splendour will always have a special place in my heart, as it is the ship that ultimately made my dear spouse fall in love with cruising. That alone will always make me biased towards this lovely ship.

Admittedly, it's from the "classic" style of cruising. There's one dining room, and there's a buffet for more casual dining. There's no specialty restaurants, which means that you'll actually interact more with your fellow cruisers, rather than be so spread out on board. There's simple pools, no wave boards, overhang hottubs, or whatnot. It's a pool, simply done, although the crystal canopy over the solarium, as well as the luxurious roman decor is quite enjoyable for us.

Another thing that really does it for me is the expansive glass of the Centrum, followed by the lovely openness of the dining room, which is basically 2 decks worth of glass that overlooks the seas. Many calming walks before dinner along the promenade deck were spent waving to our server before late dining, as well as experiencing some of the most spectacular sunsets on our 12 night cruise. I love walking that deck, hand-in-hand, a deck that provided such an easy walk, and a private getaway for a smooch or two. :)

We enjoyed the 42 Street Theatre, especially the "couple seats" that allowed us to sit together without a bar in between us. Same goes for the seating in the Centrum, Schooner Bar, and Viking Crown Lounge. So many ships have seats for just one, but it's nice to be able to actually sit next to your partner.

I enjoyed the setup of the Windjammer, actually being able to enjoy a wonderful view of the front of the ship when it was too warm, and then being able to enjoy dining "en plein air" without crowds or much hassle.

During our daily afternoon ritual, we'd go to the sauna before dinner, and shave/clean up to look presentable before dinner. Sometimes, we'd enjoy spa treatments as well. Whatever we did, we always took time to enjoy the deck in the back of the ship by the Shipshape center, and we were usually the only ones there.

One afternoon while in the sauna with some of the ship's officers and staff, they told us to follow them. With towel wrapped around us, and an extra one in tow (as they suggested), we walked through the glass doors to the deck, and a lovely flood of liquid sunshine enveloped us. While cooler than the sauna, but still warm Caribbean rain nonetheless, we stood there in the rain, enveloped by this lovely deluge of water in the middle of the sea. Better than any shower I've ever had.

A cruise is what you make of it. The Splendour has everything I really ever need, and even a few things I want. Specialty dining is nice, and so are some of the new features on some of the larger ships. However, sometimes it's nice to go back to a simpler time, a time where just enjoying the company of people you're with and your surroundings, just taking time to smell the salty ocean air, and enjoy the breeze going by as you're swaying with the waves.

-Steve

OMG! What spouse? I thought you were travelling solo on our trip! By the way, what a lovely description! You should write a book :)! I always get these beautiful images when you describe something and are always positive! I too, think the Splendour is a lovely ship...I do not know about that interacting with fellow passengers though.....hahahaha! Just kidding!

42 days........

Julie, you silly nitwit,. Sonny was writing about his previous trip ont eh Splendor with his spouse.

Go have another drink and think before you type next time. :)

btw, I'm asking for my/our own fan boy from the purses desk.

Brian

Smaller and larger are relative terms.

Remember the Splendor and all of the ships in her class were all larger for their time.

If you're trying to imply that anything smaller than the FOS or some other behemoth is too small for a TransAtlantic then also remember they have been doing TransAtlantic for many years and will continue to until they are taken out of service.

You do have a point about size being a factor while at sea in large waves etc but there is a point of diminishing returns and coming from a Navy veteran, no ship is truly big enough. Make do with what you have and enjoy your time while at sea.

Archived