Heli-USA Helicopter Crash kills 4 in Kauai

Preds

A Heli-USA helicpoter crashed in Kauai yesterday, killing 4 passengers. Here' a link to the AP story on yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/...copter_crash_6

Ironically, Heli-USA was the lowest ranked tour company in the Revealed book, with the following scary statement

"Overall, an unimpressive effort and our least favorite tour. There are also aspects of this company that trouble us. They had a fatal crash in 2005, and the flight was considered so reckless that the pilot was indicted for manslaughter. (Very unusual in an aviation accident)."

For what it's worth, Blue Hawaiian is their top ranked company on Kauai.

I have to admit, this scares me a tad on jumping in a copter, though I still aim to go on our Blue Hawaiian tour in April. I've read up quite a bit on the owner of Blue Hawaiian, he's put in more saftey measures, equipment, and pilot training than any other tour company for the safety of his passengers. They too lost a copter several years ago, and have made safety their #1 effort ever since.

I am also a little unnerved this morning. We took the tour in October with Inter Island. They fly with the doors off which really adds to the effect. Although once we were done I was glad I went, there were times when I was scared and so was my husband. Not that the pilot was reckless it is just that you are flying very close to high cliffs and waterfalls and I had never taken a helicpter before. My husband turned to me and mouthed "what have you gotten us into?". You would turn and be looking 4,000 feet down at the ocean or turn and then there was a cliff right beside you.

Let me be clear: We LOVED our pilot who was back from a 4 year tour in Iraq and was absolutley amazing. I knew without a doubt that this guy knew what he was doing.

On our way back the pilot did some little dip manuever and came over the radio and told us that another pilot was not following the rules and was coming way to close to us. We could see the helicopter coming closer and the other copter acted like he did not even see us.

I have never done a helicopter before. My husband did years ago in Las vegas - the day before the same copter crashed and killed and everyone on board.

I doubt we ever do a helicopter again but we are both glad we had the adventure we did.

First of all, my thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims of this crash. I did a helicopter tour just last Friday 3/2 in Kauai (with Air Kauai) while cruising on Pride of America. I sat in shock this morning when I heard of the crash. I remember when I had gotten on the chopper last week thinking "what would happen if something happens to the pilot." There was no back up pilot and no one on the chopper knew how to fly it. Having said that, the flight was an amazing experience and once in the air I felt completely safe, with no exceptions. The pilot, Warren, had 20 years of experience and was the most low key, calm person I could ask for. He immediately put us all at ease and gave us an amazing tour. Unfortunately, accidents happen and we all take risks throughout our lives. Driving a car is probably more of a risk than a helicopter ride. Check out the company's safety record, read the many reviews available both on the internet and in print, and make a wise, informed decision on who to go with. Be safe.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

We have only been on one helicopter and that was in St. Thomas. The pilot was a young woman but she handled it so gently. Once she knew we were able to take the ups and downs she took us on a great roller coster ride over the islands.

Would I go on one again....Maybe but I sure will look into the company more to find out there record.

How can you tell what company is being used with the heli excursions? Is Blue Hawaiian one of those used with NCL? Would I have to book directly to be assured they're the company I'd get? I think our first pick is Kauai - we are on the PoH 5/13th. I'm also curious for those who may be familiar with NCL's excursions, which heli tour you would recommend. They offer 2 in kauai, but I can't tell which would be better, one includes a land tour Heaven and Earth Quest the other is called Mokihana helicopter. Thanks!

We did Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tour a couple weeks ago and it was the highlight of our trip.

BLue Hawaiian uses EcoStar Helicopters.......if you just look at them, you will see the difference. They were brand new, and the staff took care of hooking you in and plus gave a very good safety course before we even left their office.

They might be a little more expensive, but you know the saying, "You get what you pay for"...........

I wouldnt hesitate to do them again........I guess thats why they are voted number 1......

The pilot, Joe, who was killed in this accident flew my wife and I last April on the Kauai portion of our cruise. Joe and I talked a lot while the remainer of the passengers were harnessed into their seats. He was very friendly, experienced and an excellent pilot. He obviously loved his job. I don't believe he would have lifted his aircraft off of the pavement if he thought anything was wrong.

Joe flew conservatively with a slow, gentle ascent as we left the airport; banks that were not sharp; and slow, calculated maneuvers throughout the entire flight. He wanted to make sure that everyone on the flight enjoyed the ride, especially those who had never flown in a helicopter before.

His most 'aggressive' move was lifting the helicopter off the pad and turning from side to side so that everyone could be video taped as the flight began. (Unlike a pilot many years ago at Niagra Falls who stood the chopper on its side twice so that all passengers could get a straight out view of the falls.)

Any time we travel, no matter what the method, we take a chance that something may go wrong with the trip-a sad, but true fact of life.

My sympathy goes out to all involved with this accident and their families.

Don

Several years ago we went to Alaska and did a helipcopter trip to land on the glacier. Two weeks before we were scheduled to go, one crashed and everyone was killed. We decided to go anyway and although there was a little thought in the back of my head, I was so glad we did this. It was truly the highlight of our trip. Unfortunately accidents do happen and this was a tragic one.

Thoughts and prayers for the families of those who died and especially for the family of the pilot.

We don't stop driving our cars because of a fatal accident. Nor have people stopped flying because of plane crashes. For my part, I just try and remember that for every one accident that occurs, there are hundreds, if not thousands of safe flights. It does shake you up though.

I crusied on PoAm in Septermber. I ddi the Heaven and Earth tour with NCL on Kauai. We flew with Heli-USA and my pilot was "Helicopter Joe"! Talk about a shock! What a wake up call.

Kind of hard to take in; I was in that helicopter with that pilot. When I got on the helicopter, they told us "Helicopter Joe" was one of the best there is. And after the flight was over he asked me if I would do it again. And I said I would. He made the flight great, in addition to the beautiful scenery of Kauai. He was a great pilot. He obviously loved what he did and hte scenery he got to take in the helicopter daily.

What a sad thing to happen to the families of those killed and the possible impact this might have on the companies that live on the tourists that want the experience of flying a helicopter to areas of Kauai that can't be seen from the road.

We have a helicopter tour scheduled in May with Princess and believe me there is just a little concern after hearing two crashes within a week. (Is someone trying to tell us to play golf instead?)

Anyway, the question comes up as to who Princess does use for these tours? With many people on this ship alone that want to take this tour added to any other ships that may be in port that day along with the regular tourists on the island wanting to take this ride, I wonder if Princess might have a couple of companies lined up and we would like to hear which companies does Princess use.

What has been your experience with Princess?

We have a helicopter tour scheduled in May with Princess and believe me there is just a little concern after hearing two crashes within a week. (Is someone trying to tell us to play golf instead?)

Anyway, the question comes up as to who Princess does use for these tours? With many people on this ship alone that want to take this tour added to any other ships that may be in port that day along with the regular tourists on the island wanting to take this ride, I wonder if Princess might have a couple of companies lined up and we would like to hear which companies does Princess use.

What has been your experience with Princess?

Hi Grego,

We were on the Island Princess and took the ship excursion's helicopter tour in Kauai. It was with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters and it was a fantastic experience. They made a DVD for us of the entire flight. They fly new Eco-Star Helicopters which look way higher-end than the other helicopters we saw on the adjacent landing pads at the airport. Go to their website for more info.

When I talked to the tour desk on the ship I specifically asked what helicopter company will the flight be with, and they said Blue Hawaiian because they have the top safety record. I was very happy to hear that because I had done my own research before the cruise and Blue Hawaiian is the company I would have booked if I had booked independently and not through the ship excursion.

- Cindy

Archived