Vancouver for a day?

My DH and I plan on flying in to Vancouver the day before we board our ship. The hotel has a shuttle that will pick us up, take us to the pier the next day, and even bring us downtown if we want - all for about 10.00 CAD per person.

My question is this, we have no problems walking around and just "winging it", but would hate to be in what I hear is a beautiful city and miss seeing something.

Any suggestions for Vancouver for a day? We aren't looking for any excursions, or anything very strenuous. Of course, flying in from the east coast, I am sure a nap will be in order - but I'd still like to go and see something!

Also, any good suggestions for a nice dinner in town?

Hi DaisyGirl:

I'm sure this has been covered many times, but anytime I search on Cruise Critic, my computer freezes. So I'm going to pretend I'm not the only one that happens to and give my 2cents.

I'm assuming your hotel will be downtown and/or near the pier at Canada Place. That is where all the good stuff is. Glad you're a walker, because this is a great city for walking and the pier is a great location for walkers too.

From the Pier...

To one direction: If it's not too rainy (like today), go for a walk in Stanley Park. There's some totem poles there that many tourists LOVE.

To the other direction... Gastown. If this was Europe, we'd call it "Old Town". Lots to browse at there.

If you're a shopper: Head to Robson Street with your favourite credit card.

Here's a link to more options... http://www.bcpassport.com/index.aspx

city. You can hop on and off and the driver tells bits of info on places. Stanley Park was part of a horrible storm and suffered major damage.They are estimating millions of dollars for clean up and replanting. It may not be perfect by the time the summer comes. Rossini's in Gastown has closed as of 3 weeks ago. The May family have another place in Kitsilano-one bus ride from downtown.

Granville island is another spot with the market and artisans/art and yes there are a few good restaurants and pubs there right on the water. Little water taxis are neat to get about on. Vancouver has restaurants of all types and rates... too many to add here. Asking at your hotel might be a good idea.

Shopping, definitely check out Pacific Centre & Robson Street (right downtown)

If you like sea life, there's the Vancouver Aquarium, always a fun day

For restaurants, there are tons of chain restaurants for decent prices on Robson - White Spot, Cactus Club, Red Robin. Cloud 9 is a revolving restaurant on the 42nd floor of a hotel - very nice and you can see all of Vancouver from above, entrees run from $20-30. Hope this helps!

Cloud 9 is a revolving restaurant on the 42nd floor of a hotel - very nice and you can see all of Vancouver from above, entrees run from $20-30.

Just a cautionary note about Cloud 9: The view is wonderful, but the food is less than spectacular for the price. You might want to just have a drink at the bar, see the view, then go elsewhere to eat.

I am not living in Vancouver but I love that city (in my Top 3 Canadian cities, along with Quebec City and Victoria). I will give you my suggestion:

The trolley is a good idea since it gives you an overview of most nice spots. Make sure to look at the itinerary:

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/citytours/tour.html

and choose 3-4 stops you would like. Each stop you make, you can walk to the next trolley station, so you see a little more of the city. My personnal suggestions are :

- Gastown (famous for its steamed clock still in operation)

- Robson St. (if you are into shopping only - if not, skip it it's just a busy shopping place for shopping or people watching)

- Stanley Park (chose the stop you think you will prefer from the list)

- Library Square (I definitely think that Vancouver's Library is a must see with its architecture that will remind you of Rome coliseum)... I've taken many pictures of it anyway.

Instead of staying in the city for dinner, I recommend taking the seabus at Canada Place (will cost you about 3$ pp each way) and go to North Vancouver. There, you can get a cab and head to one of West Vancouver Fancy restaurant or simply go to the Pub in the small ''mall'' very close to the sea bus stop. Sorry, I don't remember the restaurant name but I THINK it's Cheese something. When you go out the sea bus terminal, turn right and you should see the sign right at the end of the building (go up the set of stairs to the top of the restaurant). I suggest going to North Vancouver because the view of Vancouver at night is just great (my aunt and uncle have a condo in the tallest building and the view is so great, the first time I've seen it, I thought I was living a dream, like a Postal Card came alive!

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want an "overview" of Vancouver and the weather is good that day, take the seabus to North Vancouver and hop a bus to the Grouse Mountain tram station. You not only can ride the tram to the top of Grouse but you can stop at the Suspension Bridge since you'll pass by it both ways. And if you want some of the best Chinese food I've ever had, there's a restaurant across from the Capilano Dam (another thing you might stop and see) that has it!!!

• 1 month later...
My DH and I plan on flying in to Vancouver the day before we board our ship. The hotel has a shuttle that will pick us up, take us to the pier the next day, and even bring us downtown if we want - all for about 10.00 CAD per person.

My question is this, we have no problems walking around and just "winging it", but would hate to be in what I hear is a beautiful city and miss seeing something.

Any suggestions for Vancouver for a day? We aren't looking for any excursions, or anything very strenuous. Of course, flying in from the east coast, I am sure a nap will be in order - but I'd still like to go and see something!

Also, any good suggestions for a nice dinner in town?

Please inform the name of this hotel which has these shuttle options to pick you up at the airport and to take you to the pier and downtown. We are on a cruise in early July and this hotel would be quite useful pre and post the hotel. Thanks in advance.

Please inform the name of this hotel which has these shuttle options to pick you up at the airport and to take you to the pier and downtown. We are on a cruise in early July and this hotel would be quite useful pre and post the hotel. Thanks in advance.

Just got the hotel infor from DaisyGirl55.

Here it is

Hotel Info VANCOUVER

Holiday Inn Express

2889 EAST HASTINGS STREET

VANCOUVER, BC V5K 2A1

1-604-2541000

I just called them and it sounds like a real good deal.

Archived