Tipping on the Jewel

lgfromdg

As my cruise gets closer, I'm starting to think more about the small things. I don't want to stiff or insult anyone, so I have some questions about tipping.

1)Waitstaff -main dining rooms - If you receive above average (obviously I would for outstanding) service, should you leave a tip on the table? At home, I always leave 20% tip (unless service is bad). Would an extra couple dollars be insulting or should I leave at least $5?

2) Waitstaff - Specialty dining rooms - would the same criteria apply as above? Or do cruisers usually tip extra in those restaurants?

3)Room attendant - does anyone know how much of the $10 per day this person gets? That would help me decide how much additional to leave.

I don't need to know about tipping butler or concierge, since I'm only in a OV:( . Thanks for your help.

This is totally up to you, but IMO (:)) Average service in either the main or specialty restaurants is not cause for additional tip. We also tip 20% or more on land but we tend to go to places where the food and service are very good.

If the person providing the service does such a good job that you would specicically resquest them again (which you can do) then an additional tip might be in order.

As for the cabin stewards that could be a dilemma. Ours were exceptional and we wanted to leave them each an additional tip but because we did not know how much of the $10 they get it was impossible to know if we gave them an adequate amount.

See that's my problem,too. If you knew what the steward got out of the $10 it would be so much easier to know how much extra to give.

If you were to tip the waiter extra for great service, how much would you give for 2 people?

Archived