Les Baux-Aixen-Provence-Reachable by train?

I plan to go Lex Baux (when Splendour docks in Marseilles)and was wondering if anyone knows if Aix-En-Provence is close via train?

Since we dock on a Sunday, I have been told that most everything is closed on that day.

Thanks for any help!

I know you can get to Aix by train from Marseilles. The station in Aix is only a block or two from the main circle. Yes, on Sunday most stores are closed, but restaurants are open and a few (very few) souvenier shops are open. Post #1400!!!

Hi France81,

Good news for you. The wife and I did the Les Baux de Provence ship tour from Splendor of the Seas May 30. That tour was great and my wife enjoyed it very much. Here is why I choose the tour. We arrived in Marseille on a Sunday. With some jet lag I didn't have to force the wife up early since the tour didn't leave until 1:30 pm. We were able to see that part of France that was so different that the place just sticks into our minds for years to come. Wow! we really were there. The village has all kinds of small shops and out door resturants open even on Sunday. It is a very popluar place with the Europeans so you just blend in the crowd of tourist and enjoy. The area is so different that you can't believe you are that close to Marseille. The only tour on this cruise that was better was our Rome tour. I knew the next morning that I had booked the right tour when I found out a couple from Canada got robbed in Marseille and another couple had toured Marseille and were not impressed by the tour. From the information I was able to gather don't wonder off into the side streets of Marseille. You can tell if you are in a less desirible area by the number of people sleeping it off on the sidewalk. I'm only commenting on what I heard. Our trip to Marseille and tour of Les Baux was fantastic.

I hope this helps. Tim and Cathy

Nowegian Sky 5/03

Norwegian Star 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas 5/04

You've just sold me on the idea of this tour. We're not usually a fan of ship tours, prefering to do it ourselves on local transport. Had we arrived on any day but Sunday, we'd have taken the local train to Aix-en-Provence, but given that the shops will be closed, I prefer to save that option for another cruise

The other alternative was to wander around Marseille, but don't fancy the rough areas (we had a taste of those in San Juan and Naples)

You will be real happy with this tour. Make sure to take a good camera or cam-corder. As you leave the port things just keep getting better. One thing I did notice about the people on this tour. Everyone was dosing off because of jet lag. This is what I mean about things just keep getting better. You will go through a tunnel that will take you to a lake region to the Northwest of Marsallie. The airport is out there and this area in heaily industrialized area. There are even old wind mills off in the distance and once you head past the old ruins up on the hills the scenery changes drastically. There were places that I thought I was outside of Tucson Arizona. Just could not believe it. You know your in France when you go down the tree like roads for miles. I'm sure you can get a train into the Providence but I know there are no train staions at the village of Les Brunix. Our tour guide was great. This lady stood 5 foot one and and kept everyone occuppied with her descriptions of the area in half English and half French. Great tour for the price and no hassels trying to get back to the ship on time. By the way, as we got back to the port the Queen Marry 2 was sailing out of the Port. Boy are the French proud of that ship. Tim

Archived