Luau in Hawaii - Comments/Reviews?

canadian9981

Hi,

My family and I are going on NCL's Pride of American in the second week of May and we are deciding which luau to go to.

Our options are:

1) Polynesian Cultural Centre

2) Luau cruise excursion organized by NCL in Maui

3) Luau at the Wailea Beach Marriot Resort and Spa in Maui

And we think going to the luau at Lahaina would take too long and transportation would be difficult because we prefer not to rent a car.

Note: We are docking at Kahului.

Any comments/reviews/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

I've been to the Old Lahania Luau and it was fantastic. Since its the only one I've ever been too I can't compare it to others. BUT, from talking to people who make it a habit, say that this is one of the best and most authentic. The ride from port to Lahina is not bad. If you go early, they have alot of quite shops down the same road, very nice!! I' vote to try it!

Hi,

My family and I are going on NCL's Pride of American in the second week of May and we are deciding which luau to go to.

Our options are:

1) Polynesian Cultural Centre

2) Luau cruise excursion organized by NCL in Maui

3) Luau at the Wailea Beach Marriot Resort and Spa in Maui

And we think going to the luau at Lahaina would take too long and transportation would be difficult because we prefer not to rent a car.

Note: We are docking at Kahului.

Any comments/reviews/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

If you prefer not to rent a car, then you may need to opt out of number 3 because Wailea is as far away from Kahului as Lahaina is.

The PCC gets very good reviews, but there is no alcohol served (if that is a consideration). The NCL excursion has not gotten terribly good reviews. Members have mentioned that it is crowded and that they felt "herded" around.

In light of reviews and the fact that you prefer not to go across the island on Maui, I'd recommend that you book the PCC.

If you prefer Maui, I've heard that there is a luau now at the Maui Tropical Plantation, which is partway across the island and much closer to Kahului. It would be reasonable to do by taxi (guessing maybe $50 r/t). Also, you could look into independently booking one of the luaus on Maui or Oahu through a tour company that includes transportation. Of course, it would be more expensive because of that, but considering that a taxi r/t from Kahului to Lahaina or Wailea would run well over $100, it might not be a bad deal.

I can't give you any first-hand experience about which luaus are best.

beachchick

I don't think there is a luau in Maui run by NCL. It is listed but when you go to the booking page it is not there. Did you book it? Please let me know. We are looking for a luau and wanted to do the one in Maui. We were disappointed that the one from NCL is gone. Let me know. Thanks

I don't think there is a luau in Maui run by NCL. It is listed but when you go to the booking page it is not there. Did you book it? Please let me know. We are looking for a luau and wanted to do the one in Maui. We were disappointed that the one from NCL is gone. Let me know. Thanks

I am in the process of researching and planning for my May cruise in Hawaii. Learned last night, there is no longer a NCL luau in Maui. It is now in Kauai and is $95 per person. You can find it under shore excursions on their website.

We are still undecided. We have eliminated the OLL as there are no fire dancers. It is only two of us. We are teetering between budget and romance...RLL or Feast on Maui. Then again, we may skip both ;)

Actually, the NCL luau excursion on Maui wasn't run by NCL. They took you to a large commercial luau.

sk84fungirl: Feast at Lele is definitely romantic. RLL gets really good reviews from families, but I'm sure that it's a good luau for couples too. And honestly, if you skip both the world will not come to a screeching halt. I know, I know, there are those who say that a luau is the one big must do. Terrific and I hope they always have a great time. We simply are not among those who believe that a luau makes or breaks a trip to Hawaii. In fact, we don't do commercial luaus. Now, if it was someone's ohana luau at home...that would be another story.

Do be aware that Feast at Lele is next to a beach where many people stroll in the late afternoon and evening. (DH and I do that sometimes.) IMO, it wouldn't take away from the Feast or the romance, but you should be aware of it so that you're not surprised if people (and their dogs) are romping on the beach.

beachchick

Archived