Confusion re Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building

Miss Jolly

You know, Miss Jolly, if you're going to be in Lower Manhattan (for either the Statue of Liberty ferry and/or Ground Zero), and you want to take in some shopping, you should check out Century 21 Department Store. It's a great store. You can check it out on the following link:

http://www.c21stores.com/nyc.asp

So much shopping and such little time. LOL! Thanks everyone. One thing I was going to purchase were NIKE cross trainers for the family. We have 2 months of walking to do on our holiday. They cost so much less in the states than in Australia (as do jeans, perfume and makeup). My original intention was to go to the factory outlets but I think they may be too far out of town for such a short visit. Would this store have good prices on them? We also picked up some in Nordstram's a couple of years ago (Long Beach). We shopped well in Nordstram's and another similar store whose name I forget???? Also, my husband takes a US 13 which is a difficult size to find here in Australia. by the way, we also have KMart but it was nothing like the size of the Walmart that we went to in Florida. We were blown away by the variety of merchandise avaliable. We noticed that you have far more choices in that size.Will be interested as always in your suggestions. Thanks again. Jennie

It was the 86th Floor Observatory where Cary Grant waited in vain for Deborah Kerr in An Affair to Remember, whereas Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan met there at the end of Sleepless in Seattle.

Maybe this is the floor I should pre-book then. We have all seen it "in the movies" so it will have added significance. Will I be diappointed that we did not go higher?

Jennie

So much shopping and such little time. LOL! Thanks everyone. One thing I was going to purchase were NIKE cross trainers for the family. We have 2 months of walking to do on our holiday. They cost so much less in the states than in Australia (as do jeans, perfume and makeup). My original intention was to go to the factory outlets but I think they may be too far out of town for such a short visit. Would this store have good prices on them? We also picked up some in Nordstram's a couple of years ago (Long Beach). We shopped well in Nordstram's and another similar store whose name I forget???? Also, my husband takes a US 13 which is a difficult size to find here in Australia. by the way, we also have KMart but it was nothing like the size of the Walmart that we went to in Florida. We were blown away by the variety of merchandise avaliable. We noticed that you have far more choices in that size.Will be interested as always in your suggestions. Thanks again. Jennie

There are no Nordstroms within NYC possibly for the same reason there is no Walmart. There are some in the surburbs. Nike has a store on 57th street and throughout the City but they aren't discount. Lower Broadway Between Houston and Canal has stores that discount Nike but I am not sure about your style. Off Union Square there is a sporting good store that has Nike's at reasonable prices.

Miss Jolly, I'm no great shopper, but I greatly prefer Lord & Taylor (424 Fifth Ave., just a few blocks north of the Empire State Building) to Macy's--it's less crowded, less overwhelming, and just a little more upscale, with an excellent selection of clothing at reasonable prices.

Stroll up Fifth Avenue from L&T to Central Park (or vice versa) to see the heart of midtown Manhattan, including Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, the famous Plaza Hotel (currently closed for renovations) and the upscale shops in the 50s. I also strongly recommend a slight detour to Grand Central Station (42nd Street at Park Avenue)--the main concourse is one of the great public spaces in New York if not in the entire U.S.

For what it's worth, I've always preferred Rockefeller Center & its central building (formerly called, and still affectionately so by New Yorkers, the RCA building) to the Empire State Building. (I used to work near Rockefeller Center & have spent lots of time there over the years, so I suppose I'm biased toward it.) Both sport terrific art deco design. Rockefeller Center has lots of shops too. Check the folowing websites:

http://www.nyctourist.com/rock_center1.htm

http://www.theinsider.com/nyc/attractions/2rockefe.htm

As for seeing the Statue of Liberty... I'll add my two cents' worth and say that the view from the Staten Island Ferry is stunning. And the ferry ride gives you splendid views of the harbor--all for free, which in my book is one of the great travel bargains anywhere.

Thank you Post Captain for such detailed information. Yes, I am still amazed that the ferry trip is free! So do you think that timewise we are best just to stick to this ferry trip rather than the one where you get off and go inside?RHefley 228 - what do you mean that it is like being in a submarine????

I love checking in on this thread to find out all the advice. Thanks everyone - keep it coming.

Jennie

Hi, if you are coming all the way from Australia to NYC, I would suggest some stores with real NYC character, not just dept. stores (altho the ones suggested on these boards are fine dept. stores).

My suggestions would be Pearl River Mart (in SOHO--very near Chinatown area), Economy Candy (in the lower East Side), Essex Street Market ( in the lower east side), to name a few.

These have lots of character and may be very different than what you have in Australia. Also, Zabars (on Broadway and 81st Street) is loads of fun, for great food and housewares. Very much a true NYC store.

Sounds like you have quite the NYC experience planned!! I work here and commute EVERY day.... and the thrill has sort of worn off after all these years!! LOL

If you have your heart set on outlet shopping, you can get a bus from Port Authority (which is near Times Square) to the Woodbury Commons center in Harriman. It would be an all day trip though... but EXCELLENT outlets and very good bargains especially on high end, designer items. They also have a Nike Factory Outlet store there. (more outlet info can be found at www.outletbound.com). There may be trips available to the outlets at Tanger in Riverhead (which is the far North end of Long Island) but I'm not sure. It's about a 3 hr drive from the city. Harriman is maybe an hour or so North of the city. I believe there is a free bus available from Port Authority that will take you to NJ to the Ikea store if you are interested. Again, the whole adventure might take at least 1/2 a day. I don't know if you have Ikea in Australia or not...

RE: Rockefeller Center -- NBC (the television network here in the US) has a tour of their studios which can be fun. There is also a studio store there if you just want to look at/buy shirts, hats, etc. that feature NBC shows. If you are a fan of American TV -- you can also pass by the Ed Sullivan Theatre where the David Letterman show is filmed, it's on Broadway and 55th Street. There is a CBS studio store on the corner but it is much smaller than the NBC store.

While in Times Square - you should try John's Pizzeria. We first learned of it on the Food Channel. www.johnspizzerianyc.com for menu and other info..... great food, not too expensive... and on the same block, is Carmine's which is also a famous Italian restaurant that serves food "family style". Reservations are needed for large groups, but if you go before the theatre, they will accomodate you to make sure you get to the theatre in time. (most Times Sq/Broadway area restaurants will do this - but you need to tell them you have theatre tickets.)

I personally have never been to the Statue of Liberty -- I've passed by on the Circle Line cruise (there are a few different ones - we took the one that sails down the Hudson, around the bottom of the island of Manhattan, sails up the East River and then turns around and goes back.) I have been to the very top of the ESB and it's great especially on a clear day or night and you can see for miles. The Circle Line is very informative, you see a lot and it takes about 2 - 3 hours.... I learned things I had never known about NYC.

In Times Square, there is a visitor's center where you can get flyers, pamphlets, etc. about all the major attractions in the city. It's on 7th Avenue just before 47th Street... right in the heart of Times Square.

Sandy

WoW1 Thanks Lumpkin and Sandy - what a wealth of info. I am very interested in Woodbury Commons but could only find expensive buses to get up there. I could not justify the cost of transport for 4 to go shopping. I would be very interested in knowing of a cost efficient transport from Broadway to Woodbury?????

Thanks again.

Jennie

Ikea is a furniture home furnishings store. Woodbury common is at least a 90 minute ride each way. http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7 Also when you get there unless its a weekend there is no intra place bus and it is very big. Woodbury commons is very big and has great outlets. Closer to NYC is Jersey Gardens which also has bus service and is less than an hour. I think the website is http://www.jerseygardens.com but I will check to make sure.

Lower Broadway is where the Pearl river mart is(between Canal and Houston remember) but tghere is alsoa food store called Dean and DeLuca's like Zabars....

Ikea is a furniture home furnishings store. Woodbury common is at least a 90 minute ride each way. http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7 Also when you get there unless its a weekend there is no intra place bus and it is very big. Woodbury commons is very big and has great outlets. Closer to NYC is Jersey Gardens which also has bus service and is less than an hour. I think the website is http://www.jerseygardens.com but I will check to make sure.

Lower Broadway is where the Pearl river mart is(between Canal and Houston remember) but tghere is alsoa food store called Dean and DeLuca's like Zabars....

Thank you. Can you please tell me how to get to Jersey Gardens from Milford Plaza Hotel? pricing would also be useful if you can work it out easuly - 2 adults, 1 x 15 yr old and 1 x 13 yr old.I am a little confused by the relevant websites. By the way, we have Ikea.

Jennie

Sorry for the above typing errors. Can't seem to locate the edit button to fix.

Today has all been too much - I think I'll go for a swim. Sorry New Yorkers - it's about 30 degrees celcius and blue skies here. LOL How's your weather at the moment?

Jennie

I am sorry to confuse you more

Jersey Gardens is also accessible via NJ Transit buses 24, 40, and from Manhattan via #111. Specific bus schedule and fare information is available at www.njtransit.com.

These leave from The NY Port Authority Bus station at 41 Street and 8th Avenue which is within an easy walk from the Milford Plaza.

I drive to NJ Gardens. So my directions won't help. You want the #111 bus.

here is the schedule it takes about 45 minutes each way

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0111.pdf

I am not positive but the fare looks like $4.75 per person one way per person.

I am sorry to confuse you more

Jersey Gardens is also accessible via NJ Transit buses 24, 40, and from Manhattan via #111. Specific bus schedule and fare information is available at www.njtransit.com.

These leave from The NY Port Authority Bus station at 41 Street and 8th Avenue which is within an easy walk from the Milford Plaza.

I drive to NJ Gardens. So my directions won't help. You want the #111 bus.

here is the schedule it takes about 45 minutes each way

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0111.pdf

I am not positive but the fare looks like $4.75 per person one way per person.

Thank you. This is a great help. Not sure if we have time to go but thought that I would "keep it up my sleeve" for possibly Monday. We fly out early evening so I thought that would be the best day. Fingers crossed.

Jennie

Thank you. Can you please tell me how to get to Jersey Gardens from Milford Plaza Hotel? pricing would also be useful if you can work it out easuly - 2 adults, 1 x 15 yr old and 1 x 13 yr old.I am a little confused by the relevant websites. By the way, we have Ikea.

Jennie

I think there is a bus from the Port Authority bus terminal - 40th Street & eighth avenue, not far from your hotel. I don't know if its free or not. Check out the web site for Jersey Gardens, perhaps its listed. I know there used to be a free shuttle bus from the Port Authority to IKEA which is right next to Jersey Gardens, don't know if it still opeates.

I think there is a bus from the Port Authority bus terminal - 40th Street & eighth avenue, not far from your hotel. I don't know if its free or not. Check out the web site for Jersey Gardens, perhaps its listed. I know there used to be a free shuttle bus from the Port Authority to IKEA which is right next to Jersey Gardens, don't know if it still opeates.

Thank you. This should help.

Jennie

Archived