Formal night shoes

Rolling Stoned

And they look stupid!!!!:D

millions of fans would disagree. I get such a kick out of how judgemental this board can be. And this from someone who plans to dress appropriately and wear "dress" shoes. I've traveled all over the world and never ran into this amount of judging before. To visit the Vatican it said no shorts and a guard was standing at the gate enforcing this. But I didn't see them turning anyone away with sneakers on either. The new Pope wears sneakers (designer). Hope he never chooses to cruise. ;) Some of you would banish him to the buffet.

millions of fans would disagree. I get such a kick out of how judgemental this board can be. And this from someone who plans to dress appropriately and wear "dress" shoes. I've traveled all over the world and never ran into this amount of judging before. To visit the Vatican it said no shorts and a guard was standing at the gate enforcing this. But I didn't see them turning anyone away with sneakers on either. The new Pope wears sneakers (designer). Hope he never chooses to cruise. ;) Some of you would banish him to the buffet.

This Pope wears Prada - 'nuf said!:D

So you are going to wear a jacket and tie...then why would you even think of wearing tennis shoes with them on formal night?

What type of pants do you plan on wearing since jeans are out?

I would think if you don't want to invest in any dress shoes because of the added cost and may not wear them again...why not boots...if you wear those?

Or either some 'Hush Puppies' slip-on casual shoes? At least those would look nicer for formal night than tennis shoes.

Click below for some ideas on more casual type shoes that would look nice:

http://www.jcpenney.com/products/C011155.jsp

At least with those type of shoes, if you choice to buy a new pair, you would have something to wear that is appropriate at a wedding or funeral in the future, besides for formal night.

OP wants to wear tennis shoes. He asked if he could wear them with a jacket and tie and be seated in the dining room. Yes, he will be seated in the dining room. He wasn't asking for ideas on what else he could wear.

Both of those people live to be looked at, right??:D

Is the point that we shouldn't look or react. A great idea, then we won't be so troubled or judgemental about what people wear.

I still don't understand why people who have no idea about the reason someone doesn't follow the dress guidelines immediately jump to the conclusion that the reason is because the person is self centered and doesn't care about others ("Once again its my vacation and I will do what I want.")

'nuf said.

I still don't understand why people who have no idea about the reason someone doesn't follow the dress guidelines immediately jump to the conclusion that the reason is because the person is self centered and doesn't care about others ("Once again its my vacation and I will do what I want.")

'nuf said.

Because whenever I go on vacation, I'm obsessed by other people's shoes, and if someone, somewhere isn't wearing what I deem appropriate footwear, it just immediately ruins things for me. Sneakers on formal night? Cripes, I'd barely be able to stuff down my lobster! How surpassingly selfish of whomever not to adhere to my particular sense of style! After all, the cruise isn't all about them. It's all about me.

An army of styleless automatons marching around in identical baggy khaki Dockers - now that spells "good times!"

I can't imagine that anyone would get all that worked up over a man's shoes. It is a little different with women because so many women LOVE shoes and have many different types. I will notice what type of shoes a woman is wearing because usually they want them to be noticed. If they didn't want them noticed, they certainly wouldn't pay so much for them.

Still, there is nothing wrong with choosing comfort over style. After walking around all day in port (no matter how comfortable your walking shoes are) it can be hard to force your feet into dress shoes.

The last two cruises I have been on did not have any formal nights (NCL and Disney Wonder) I am looking forward to dressing up! I enjoy being a people watcher and looking at all the sparkly dresses and jewelry. I'm not into shoes though because of my "bad" feet.

They make dressy sandals, but they often have a little heel. I need flats!

I looked for ballet slippers, but I couldn't find my size or color. Oh, well?

This thread is good fun!

I don't think sporting a pair of Vans with a suit/tux is a big deal.

If, like me, your main concern is packing room, you can rent a pair of formal shoes for something like $12 for the whole cruise. I may do that since I wear these special diabetic mocs that come only in light brown and if I bring along my formal black shoes I'll need to leave one of my seven cameras at home - at that just won't do! :p

• 4 months later...

Actually, I am a young woman with a lot of foot problems and I can't wear heels. I like HAL because I've noticed that many of the "ladies of a certain age" on the Westerdam said "to heck with heels" and wore comfortable shoes with their evening dresses. By the second formal night, I was doing the same thing and no one cared or noticed. It's a strange world when we're worried about what other people have on their feet.

Rolling Stoned---They'll seat you. Have a lovely dinner. Anyone who is checking out your feet needs a hobby...or to get over a fetish.

BTW, it was Woody Allen who pioneered the sneakers and tuxedo look.

A light bulb just went off for me: Too many people actually think they are the ELITE, or at least they really want to be!!

I think a cruise has become a relatively reasonable family vacation. By no means cheap, but do-able for many families. Alot of people want to hold on to the notion that cruising is just for the "elite." That's not the case any longer. Our family is FAR from wealthy, but we can pull off this summer's cruise anyway. I'm sure there will be plenty of other "worker bees" like us, and some people don't want to put on airs - like buying entire new wardrobes and extra shoes just for the cruise.

You know what: I'm going to go out there and use that line that so many people hate - I'm paying the same hard earned money as the "fancy dressers" so they are no better than I am. And no better than Rolling Stoned either!! The original question was "will I be seated" - not what do you think about it or will it look good. Sometimes these boards make me want to go out and do something like buy my son a pair of Vans so he can wear them on formal night! I'd love to see someone check his footwear and not allow us into the dining room. Remember: they're called GUIDELINES, not rules!

Kendon may have made the "elite" remark in jest (I'm not sure), but many a thing said in jest..........

Susie - you are absolutely correct . . . except for the part about "thinking" I am elite, because I am! Just a bit of levity here. Actually, my daughter's boyfriend wore a beautiful tuxedo for their senior graduation, along with a pair of high-top, bright red sneakers. I thought he looked cute. Enough said. Sam

This is where pedantic interpretations of the dress code start to fall apart. It never even mentions shoes.

My husband gets a lot more use out of dress shoes than sneaks on a cruise, so the dress shoes travel and the sneaks sit at home crying. But, that may not be the case for you. With a name like "Rolling Stoned," I'd be awfully disappointed if you were tedious and dull in the way you dressed. :)

Does that mean poor ladies with swollen feet should wear sassy high heeled pumps to "look" appropriate? Never mind the pain and suffering:confused:

Forget it....:eek:

My feet swell terribly almost as soon as I board, but I manage to find appropriate shoes for my formal and smart casual outfits.

For women with feet troubles (crushed mine in an accident 15 years ago), metallics are so in style these days it's pretty easy to find a flat in a metallic that looks a bit dressier.

For men...you can do what my husband did. Join the Army and use your patent leather dress shoes (the gift from Uncle Sam) for formal nights on a ship. They weigh a ton but they sure look dressy!

We had the lost luggage experience a few years ago on a Princess cruise around Hawaii. No luggage for the first five days of the cruise as we cruised from LA to Hilo. Princess loaned me a tux and some black silk pants for my wife but they couldn't help with shoes. All we had was what we had traveled in to reach the ship, so on formal night I wore my borrowed tux and my two toned loafs. My wife wore a sparkly top she got on board, the black silk

pants, and her white tennis sneakers. It was a conversation starter.

.....just because. Still don't know what are vans?

Vans come in so many styles and colors it's hard to keep track. I've always thought of them as skater shoes. My son has a pair of black Vans that he will be wearing with a black suit for formal night. Unless you are up close and personal, it's hard to tell that they are even sneakers. - SF

http://shop.vans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10105_10101_328351_-1

Archived