Formal night shoes

Rolling Stoned

Many years ago, when his usual wardrobe was "Scientist-slash-Beach Bum," my husband was an invited speaker at a conference in San Francisco. He realized the morning of his talk that he'd forgotten to pack his dress shoes. I was horrified to later learn that he'd worn his sneakers with his suit. Apparently, they have no shoe stores in San Francisco.

They apparently don't have sock stores, either, because one of his similarly-wardrobe-challenged colleagues forgot his dress socks. He was a little more creative and used his shoe polish to paint some socks on himself.

Just so you know, *I* pack his cruise clothes now, so this is not very likely to turn up at a table near you. :)

SusieQusie, Everyone is paying with hard earned dollars, but not everyone is spending the same hard earned dollars. The difference in price between an inside cabin and a suite is pretty dramatic. I think what you meant was that everyone is on the same ship, no matter what they paid and we all eat in the same restaurants, no matter what our income level is. So, it is to be expected that you will see just about everything worn.

Everyone's idea of formal is SO different.

There are lots of cruiselines that are less formal than Princess. I think that Princess generally has pretty nice clientele and they tend to dress up more than some of the other lines. You know who these are! I think that is has something to do with being British. I love the formal nights when the Scottish men wear their dress kilts and sashes. It is an event to dress up and it should be respected for what it is. It should not be taken as a situation where you try to see what you can get by with. There are other dining options on the ship, where you don't have to dress up. So,I feel, if you choose to attend the formal nights, then do it properly.

This is for all of you who encouage someone not to dress well. Shame on you. You know better and still set the bar far too low. No wonder the vast majority of folks we see in day to day activities look like slobs. Today clothing is cheaper than ever. In my community the best dressed are typically the poorest immigrants who take the time to respect themselves and to put on their sunday best when it is appropriate to do so. I salute them!!!

This is for all of you who encouage someone not to dress well. Shame on you. You know better and still set the bar far too low. No wonder the vast majority of folks we see in day to day activities look like slobs. Today clothing is cheaper than ever. In my community the best dressed are typically the poorest immigrants who take the time to respect themselves and to put on their sunday best when it is appropriate to do so. I salute them!!!

When you're not building electrified fences to keep them out..................

Of all the ridiculous threads that I waste my time reading this would perhaps be the greatest of all. Impassioned debate over shoes continues...four months after the OP went on his cruise and (a) exercised his individuality or (b) commited a heinous fashion crime.

I suggest a new board rule - no more threads about what to wear on formal nights. (You know people are going to wear what they want.)

And people who end their posts with "'nuff said" ought to be excommunicated.

Yea in my case my words get removed. I think the hosts on here are very biased towards Americans............................I give up! Out of here, goodbyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Now whoever you are remove this..................do you really think I care :p

Archived