Newbie Cruiser NCL Spirit

STLresider

I just bought a cruise for my mom and I on the NCL Spirit for the W. Car in December, 2007. I have never been on a cruise before and need a little information: At the specialty restaraunts do you pay a cover and pay for the food or is the cover the only expense? Do you tip at restaraunts and bars or is that covered under the $10 daily gratuity? When do you make reservations for restaraunts? Any other advice or experiences with NCL in general or Spirit in particular would be of great help, Thanks! :confused:

I just bought a cruise for my mom and I on the NCL Spirit for the W. Car in December, 2007. I have never been on a cruise before and need a little information: At the specialty restaraunts do you pay a cover and pay for the food or is the cover the only expense? Do you tip at restaraunts and bars or is that covered under the $10 daily gratuity? When do you make reservations for restaraunts? Any other advice or experiences with NCL in general or Spirit in particular would be of great help, Thanks! :confused:

When there is a surcharge at an alternative restaurant, the surcharge is the total cost of your meal (not including chargeable items, like wine, alcoholic drinks or soda). Occasionally, there is an item (e.g., surf & turf) on the menu that costs a little more than the base surcharge - $25 instead of $20, for instance. In that case, the higher surcharge is the total cost.

The $10 daily gratuity covers tipping for your cabin steward and wait staff. All bar tabs will have a 15% automatic gratuity added to your bill. If you encounter exemplary service (you'll know it when you receive it), it's not unusual to tip a little extra, but it's not necessary. Many people also tip a little ($1-2) for room service delivery.

Reservations for the alternative restaurants can be made for same-day or next-day. I believe they start taking reservations at 8am each morning.

I've been on 6 Freestyle cruises and have enjoyed all of them to varying extents. I think the Spirit is a beautiful ship and you should have a good time.

Here's a link to my Spirit cruise from a year ago. Be forewarned - it's a very long review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=301151&highlight=spirit+review

And here's a link to photos of my Spirit cruise:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/547851798ebHrxZ

Thank you for the respose; answered my question. One more now, when you eat at a specialty restaruant, how does it work; is it all you can eat or do you only get to order one entree?

You can order multiple orders of soups, salads, appetizers and desserts. But my understanding is that you only get one entree per surcharge. There have been some posts by other CCers who say that they have gotten more than one entree. I'm guessing that they just ran into a nice waiter because I don't think that's supposed to happen.

In the main dining rooms, there is no limit to the number of entrees that you can order.

I believe that Johnql has answered all of your questions...

just want to add..I have not been on the Spirit but my friends have and they loved it.

have a wonderful cruise...

there is nothing like your "first" cruise.

Relax and enjoy every moment:)

You can order multiple orders of soups, salads, appetizers and desserts. But my understanding is that you only get one entree per surcharge. There have been some posts by other CCers who say that they have gotten more than one entree. I'm guessing that they just ran into a nice waiter because I don't think that's supposed to happen.

In the main dining rooms, there is no limit to the number of entrees that you can order.

You can order as many entrees as you want off the Cagneys Menu if you are paying for the $20 surcharge, my roommates and I just came back from a cruise, so only if you want the surf and turf and the more expensive additions are you allowed one entree, Remember while the boat is docked in port usually from 5-630ish there is half price at the specialty restaurants. And may I recommend the Lincroft Pinot Noir while dining in Cagneys Restaurant. Absolutely Fabulous.

Archived