Questions for the experts

Sunnystone

Thansk again to those with positive comments. We did book the Nov 10th voyage and have high hopes for a great trip.

Kathryn and Peter,

Congratulations on an excellent choice. I would love to be on that same cruise. We'll have to wait a little while before making a final decision. Read as much as you can on the Cunard boards. Right now Pepper is reposting his review of his transatlantic voyage. Even though you are not doing a transatlantic, you will enjoy all his comments and experiences on the QM2. His writing style makes you feel as if you are on the ship with him.

If you have specific questions, post them on the Cunard board. As you have learned, you will get lots of answers. Hopefully most of them will be helpful.

Beth

At the risk of adding new ammunition for some to come after me, here are 2 new questions..........

1. Does Cunard have upgrades available at the pier? In our past experience we have found that other lines charge about $400 at the pier for upgrades, outside to balcony, balcony to mini-suite, etc. If so, is there a generic price for suchon Cunard?

2. In doing research we noted that dogs who travel on the QM2 recieve a special coat. Are they available for purchase or does the dog actually have to travel to get one?

Thanks......

For pets crossing the Atlantic aboard Queen Mary 2, the luxuries abound

Long accustomed to cosseting travelers in the lap of luxury, Cunard is now extending its expertise to the four-legged friends of its Queen Mary 2 guests. Recognizing the growing trend toward traveling with pets, the cruise line has made noteworthy enhancements to its "Pets on Deck" program, including adding a range of pet-friendly services and amenities such as fresh-baked biscuits at turn-down; a choice of beds and blankets; and even a QM2-logoed coat.

Queen Mary 2's kennel program is overseen by a full-time Kennel Master who takes care of daily pet care responsibilities such as feeding, walking and cleaning the ship's 12 spacious kennels.

As part of the enhanced program, traveling dogs and cats also receive a complimentary gift pack featuring a QM2-logoed coat, Frisbee, name tag, food dish and scoop; a complimentary portrait with pet owners; a crossing certificate and personalized cruise card. Other pet perks include:

-extra comfortable pet beds in two sizes

-healthy gourmet cookies for dogs and cats baked fresh daily and offered at bedtime

-fleece blankets

-assortment of dog and cat toys

-cat posts and scratchers

-selection of premium pet foods from top brands.

"For some Cunard guests, transporting their pets safely and comfortably is a top priority, and having them cross the Atlantic onboard QM2 is far more desirable than flying them between continents," said Carol Marlow, president and managing director of Cunard Line. "And now our guests' pets can truly travel in real style."

The kennels and adjacent indoor and outdoor walking areas are open throughout the day, enabling guests to spend significant time with their pet. Reservations for the kennels may be made at time of booking, and are based on space availability. The kennel fee ranges from $300 to $500.

Taking good care of its guests' beloved pets is a long and illustrious Cunard tradition. The line's friendly pet policy dates back to the maiden voyage of the Britannia in 1840, when three cats were on board. Since then, circus elephants, canaries, a monkey and even a boa constrictor have traveled Cunard.

Widely considered the line-of-choice by generations of celebrities, Cunard has also transported a surprising number of notable pets. Mr. Ramshaw, the world's only trained golden eagle, made at least 21 transatlantic crossings on mid 20th-century liners; Rin-Tin-Tin, star of 36 silent films, traveled on the Berengaria; and Tom Mix and Tony, stars of the 1930's western series "Miracle Rider," regularly trotted up the gangway. (Tony's hooves were even fitted with special rubber shoes to prevent the horse from slipping.)

In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor brought her pampered puppies on board the original Queen Mary and exercised them regularly on the ship's sports deck. She even ordered special meals for them from the fish chef. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor also traveled with a beloved pup and, at the Duke's behest, Cunard installed a lamp post beside the kennels.

Queen Mary 2 is the grandest ocean liner ever built. There are 1,310 suites and cabins available in degrees of style and comfort ranging from pampered elegance to almost unimaginable luxury in the ship's famed Grill-level accommodations. Queen Mary 2 brings together like-minded travelers who relish the Cunard hallmarks of impeccable White Star ServiceSM, fine dining, sophisticated adventure and legacy of historic voyages and transatlantic travel.

1. Does Cunard have upgrades available at the pier? In our past experience we have found that other lines charge about $400 at the pier for upgrades, outside to balcony, balcony to mini-suite, etc. If so, is there a generic price for suchon Cunard?[.quote]

I can't comment on the QM2, but on the QE2 there's normally a sigh at the purser's desk saying that as the ship is full there are no upgrades available.

2. In doing research we noted that dogs who travel on the QM2 recieve a special coat. Are they available for purchase or does the dog actually have to travel to get one?

Could you imagine them not selling them if they thought they could?;)

The dog coats are in the ship on QE2, so I would imagine they are available on QM2 as well. They also had mats and bowls as well all in black with gold lettering.

The mats (at least) are marked "Queen Elizabeth 2" on the QE2. Our dog has one of the mats. We didn't buy him a bowl as he already has a "Lord of the Manor" dinner bowl and a Wedgewood water bowl.

And he can't travel on the Queen Mary 2, even if he would want to - which seems a bit unfair.

Matthew

At the risk of adding new ammunition for some to come after me, here are 2 new questions..........

1. Does Cunard have upgrades available at the pier? In our past experience we have found that other lines charge about $400 at the pier for upgrades, outside to balcony, balcony to mini-suite, etc. If so, is there a generic price for suchon Cunard?

Thanks......

Kathryn,

I know that you can purchase the dog coats on the QM2. They are quite handsome.

We have never inquired about an upgrade at the pier. However, it seems that each time we have boarded there has been the sign saying that the ship is full and no upgrades are possible.

Please continue to ask questions.

Beth

You might get upgraded at the pier, but not, to my knowledge, by request. I was upgraded at the pier in September, but it was their doing, not mine. I suppose it is all in what they need to sell. Upgrading me from a hull hole balcony to a glass balcony (for four rainy days!) and selling my former cabin to someone else who would never have bought on at the price of the full glass balcony, no doubt is preferable to that cabin going empty. I have not heard , in recent years, of upgrades by request while aboard, though I have heard of an incidental upgrade when they had no choice. I.E. There are workmen in the next cabin with electric saws and drills, and the only place to move you is to a higher grade. This happened to a few on our January 06 trip.

There is a full line of pet accessories (not cheap) in the shops, including blankets, coats, dishes and more.

Karie,

who is fortunate not to have that affliction whereby I must buy my animals such things. I finally gave up when I would buy some ten dollar trinket or another for the cats to play with, and they would ignore it in favor of playing with the bag!

In doing research we noted that dogs who travel on the QM2 recieve a special coat. Are they available for purchase or does the dog actually have to travel to get one?

Thanks......

As Karie said, " There is a full line of pet accessories (not cheap) in the shops, including blankets, coats, dishes and more." (BTW, if your pet goes back-to-back crossings, it gets only one free picture, coat, bowl, etc.)

Sad to say, the QM2 pet life jackets are neither gifted nor sold. Here is our cat, Sebastian, in his emergency duds:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/*****SebastianQM2drill.jpg

See http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/***** for other pet pix, QM2 menues, Daily Programmes, etc., from 2006.

Paul

As Karie said, " There is a full line of pet accessories (not cheap) in the shops, including blankets, coats, dishes and more." (BTW, if your pet goes back-to-back crossings, it gets only one free picture, coat, bowl, etc.)

Sad to say, the QM2 pet life jackets are neither gifted nor sold. Here is our cat, Sebastian, in his emergency duds:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/*****SebastianQM2drill.jpg

See http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/***** for other pet pix, QM2 menues, Daily Programmes, etc., from 2006.

Paul

Paul...Sebastian looks quite dashing in his formal wear...and quite the sailor in his lifejacket!! Sorry I don't know how to post pictures or I'd post on of our Golden retriever Bear in his QM2 coat...size large!!! With his plaid bow tie he is quite the gentleman!!

Cheers, Penny...who will check out all the other pet goodies in November!

Sorry I don't know how to post pictures or I'd post on of our Golden retriever Bear in his QM2 coat...size large!!! With his plaid bow tie he is quite the gentleman!!

Penny, I'm not so good at posting pictures either. I click on the "Insert Image" icon of "Reply to Thread", enter the URL, and my reply always contains the link to the picture instead of the picture itself. Can anyone else tell us how to put actual pictures into these replies?

Thanks (I hope),

Paul

Sorry I don't know how to post pictures or I'd post on of our Golden retriever Bear in his QM2 coat...size large!!! With his plaid bow tie he is quite the gentleman!!

Hi Penny, Martin is very disappointed that there is no photo, but asked me to point out that a gentleman would not wear a plaid bow tie. I've refused, as I think he's trying to stir things up.

Regards, Mary and Martin (Mary's cat)

[quote name='Norfolk Brit']Hi Penny, Martin is very disappointed that there is no photo, but asked me to point out that a gentleman would not wear a plaid bow tie. I've refused, as I think he's trying to stir things up.

Regards, Mary and Martin (Mary's cat)[/QUOTE]

Hi Mary and Martin...well at least it wasn't denim!! :p Unfortunately Bear's wardrobe choices are limited to his [I]plaid[/I] Christmas bow tie, a rather ugly cast-off tie from his Dad, his QM2 formal coat and his monogrammed Land's End raincoat (good for those therapy dog visits on a rainy day...who wants to pet a wet dog???) Blame his Mom's gown shopping for his lack of choice!:eek:

Remind Martin that stirring the pot got him no good the last time.:p

Cheers, Penny

Archived