Last Question for Now regarding tipping

STLresider

I don't want to sound like a total hooser or anything because I always tip 20% in restaraunts, but I am under mixed impressions about how to tip on a cruise. Do I need to tip the room service, bar, waiter, etc... in addition to the $10 per day charge or is that service charge sufficient. Obviously these trips can be very expensive and I would like to save the money if I can.

I don't want to sound like a total hooser or anything because I always tip 20% in restaraunts, but I am under mixed impressions about how to tip on a cruise. Do I need to tip the room service, bar, waiter, etc... in addition to the $10 per day charge or is that service charge sufficient. Obviously these trips can be very expensive and I would like to save the money if I can.

For tipping on a NCL cruise, not NCLA, you will have an automatic 15% tip added to all bar and spa receipts. Room service food is free, but giving the person who delivers the order a few bucks (maybe $3 - $5) in cash, depending upon the size of the order is really appreciated. We do leave occassional cash tips for the restaurant servers who go above and beyond, it's not required, but we have always found the service to be top notch....especially in the specialty restaurants where the service is so much more personal.

There will never be a last question on tipping :D

The official NCL language:

GRATUITIES

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on NCL America or Norwegian Cruise Line ships. Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for service that is generally rendered to all guests.

However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile", and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

The net as Margaret posted - bar staff, room service not included in the $10 on NCL. A little extra cash goes a long way for those that earn it but not required or expected but much appreciated.

shoreguy,

I just posted a similar thread the other day. Since you are an experienced cruiser, if I got great service from a waiter, what would you think would be a good amount for an additional tip for 2 people?

Also, if the room steward does an excellent job, (since I don't know how much they get of the $10) how much extra should I leave?

shoreguy,

I just posted a similar thread the other day. Since you are an experienced cruiser, if I got great service from a waiter, what would you think would be a good amount for an additional tip for 2 people?

Also, if the room steward does an excellent job, (since I don't know how much they get of the $10) how much extra should I leave?

Completely up to you - I have left as little as a couple dollars just to let them know thank you at dinner and as much as $20 in a specialty restaurant. Most meals nothing at all.

Room stewards - who knows what the get from the pool - I figure the old guideline was the room stewards got $3.50 pp per day. So each of your two will spilt something close that amount I hope. I normally leave an extra $20 the last day. Last cruise it was $20 each. They were exceptional. Nothing extra required as always you decision.

When you calculate tips, a cruise that begins and ends on a Sunday, for instance, is considered a 7-day cruise, so the tips = $70 pp. You are actually on the ship for 7 nights. If you count both embarkation and disembarkation days, you are actually on the ship for parts of 8 days. In other words, the way that tips are calculated now is perfectly fine.

On a seven night cruise do you pay gratuities for 7 nights even though you are only on board for a fraction of the day on the first and last days? Seems to me to be kind of a scam.

How did you arrive at that:confused:

If take a 7 night cruise, ie leave on a Saturday, ends the following Saturday your room is cleaned twice on Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri. which equals 7 days.

If you eat on embarkation day starting with lunch buffet and eat breakfast the last morning that equals 7 days based on 3 meals/day;)

How did you arrive at that:confused:

If take a 7 night cruise, ie leave on a Saturday, ends the following Saturday your room is cleaned twice on Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri. which equals 7 days.

If you eat on embarkation day starting with lunch buffet and eat breakfast the last morning that equals 7 days based on 3 meals/day;)

My cruise leaves on Sunday at 5pm and returns Sat. morning. How do you come up with leaving and returning on the same day?

My cruise leaves on Sunday at 5pm and returns Sat. morning. How do you come up with leaving and returning on the same day?

I was going by your previous posting:

"On a seven night cruise do you pay gratuities for 7 nights even though you are only on board for a fraction of the day on the first and last days? Seems to me to be kind of a scam."

That's how I got to the 7 night thing. The Saturday departure was an example. So you're saying you are on a 6 night cruise, therefore tips should be $60.00.

Above that, as Shoreguy said use your own judgement. ie A buck or 2 for room service. We also tip the Room Steward extra at the end as they usually do a wonderfull job. Enjoy your cruise:)

We always, always give a few $ for room service. If it's just coffee and fruit in the morning, just a couple; if it's an entire dinner, then maybe $10. It's a lot of extra work, so we don't mind the extra.

We sometimes leave an extra cash tip for bartenders who have been particularly helpful/generous/fun. Never do it when I've gotten the "I'll get around to you, little lady" treatment, which has happened from time to time--especially on embarkation days. (I don't like to get out the "my grandma was a strong southern woman who could sound like honey, but let you have it" voice, but I will if necessary.) We have often left a small tip at various extra events (such as the VIP cocktail party or repeat guest party). We were so thrilled to be "sent" up to a casual complimentary cocktail "waiting for the suite" party on PoH (rather than having to wander the decks or hang out by the pool) that I was very generous in tipping. We walked in, were greeted warmly, plopped down on super comfy chairs with ottomans, and immediately had a server ask "what may I bring you." That first cocktail was just about the best thing ever--and did that server ever get a good tip. (Well, three tips actually as we had two drinks in the lounge and then took a third "to go" to the suite.)

Other than that, it's really up to you. On PoH, we tipped in various amounts at the upcharge restaurants because we had everything from outstanding service (big tip) to marginal at best (bare minimum). We tipped our butler well--and if I had it to do over again, I'd tip even more. We tipped our concierge a small amount because we really only used his services a bare minimum, so we tipped according to the daily "chores" he had. We tipped our suite steward extra because he was delightful, prompt, and did a very good job--plus the suite is larger than a standard cabin, so we know he had more work to do.

beachchick

In your earlier post, you asked about a 7-night cruise. I'm really confused now. Are you going on a 6-night or a 7-night cruise? If it's Sunday to Saturday, it's only 6 nights, in which case the tips will be $60, not $70.

Archived