Margaritas safe in ports?

gomomgo

Has anyone ever had problems with the ice in their drinks in ports? Speaking specifically about Mahajual (Costa Maya, but not the official port area), Roatan and Cozumel. I've read some say "no problem" and others say don't risk it. Really looking forward to a few authentic margaritas, but don't want to have to pay for it later.

speaking as someone who has had his share in Mahahual, specifically at the Cats Meow, they perfectly safe. Most use purified water in the ice and mix. The reason the cruise lines caution you against onshore drinks is because they water them down so much on board compared to what you get in mexico. The drinks on shore have twice to 3 times the alchohol content and will knock you on your butt if you drink them as fast as you do the ones on the boat...

Has anyone ever had problems with the ice in their drinks in ports? Speaking specifically about Mahajual (Costa Maya, but not the official port area), Roatan and Cozumel. I've read some say "no problem" and others say don't risk it. Really looking forward to a few authentic margaritas, but don't want to have to pay for it later.

Our group of 8 had more than their fair share 3 weeks ago in all three of those ports without any problems.

We are still reminiscing over the wonderful lunch we had on the beach in Mahajual.

Have a great cruise!

Mike:)

That's just what I wanted to hear! I had to laugh when I read on one of the patters posted to be careful with alcoholic drinks in port because they may be much stronger and that Princess is not responsible for your condition if you should choose to imbibe. Cheers!

The problem you get in Mexico is a small and not very harmful parasite or “bug” that can get you if you eat or drink it. The cooking process itself kills the bug in things like rice and beans. Washed fruit that you eat the skin might get you but not likely. Buy bottled water from stores, not some kid on the street. Some have become quite adept at refilling a plastic bottle from the tap and sealing the cap with a “bic” or match. The actual alcohol and freezing of the water in any given drink may inhibit or kill the bug.

The question is, how would you know how you were infected. I have never seen an American tourist just order a mixed drink with out the plate of munchies to go along.

Been to Carlos & Charlie's twice in Cozumel and each time ordered something to eat along with my wonderful frozen margarita and once I had a shooter. Didn't get sick from any of it. They would lose an awful lot of business if people got sick from their food/drinks because of a bug. They are very careful. And the drinks are much stronger than anything I have ever had on board a princess ship. After drinking a medium margarita I had a shooter and had a little trouble walking straight back to the ship :rolleyes: .

The drinks can indeed be pretty strong. Wife and I had a margarita on Roatan, and when it was set down in front of me, I could have sworn it was a glass of water. Taking a sip of it it was pretty obvious it wasn't water. Maybe tequila with a splash of lime. Wife was definitely feeling it after the one drink, and even I could really tell I'd had a fair amount of alcohol, and I've got enough mass to absorb it, so it was pretty potent. They definitely weren't ripping you off on the alcohol content.

Archived